Winnipeg owners in NYC tuesday to meet with NHL Exec. committee

RandR

May 15, 2011
All I am saying is that I am happy there's a fanbase willing to pay (though they could have and should have charged more if the demand was that great).
That is easy to say in hindsight, but it is now apparent that nobody connected with TNSE or the league had any idea that tickets were going to sell out as quickly as they did. There was risk in both pricing the tickets as high as they did (average ticket price of over $80 is one of the highest in the league) and requiring all subscribers to commit to 3 to 5 year terms.

And there is a limit to how much you can charge even when demand exceeds supply; at some point TNSE would have risked backlash from being seen as simply gouging customers.

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
Graduated with a concentrated minor in economics, with business and economics credits in sports and entertainment industries as this was initially what I wanted to do in school as an undergrad. Almost had a paper published for microeconomics class analyzing the evolving business model of the national hockey league. Reliance on the media and advertising industries has grown more in the recent 20 to 30 years than it had between the 50s and 70s with the slow integration of license to broadcast games.

Media broadcasting and consequently television dollars were instituted to assist the recovery from when Ore retired and the coming of the great one. Gretzky's publicity and such increased demand astronomically to where tv demand was so great that the teams in the league could no longer walk away from the cash and exposure when it was evident that gate revenue was no longer going to help turn a profit.

Well now that you have gotten the issue of presenting your e-peen to everyone.....

Bolded section.... I think you mean Orr as in Bobby, maybe spelling might have been an issue in that paper of yours not getting published.

Small market teams have a much better chance of success in the new NHL. With the cap, revenue sharing and in Canadas case the dollar, small market teams have it much easier now.

TNSE has had the idea for NHL back in Winnipeg for years now, and Chip and Thomson are pretty bright guys and will have had lots of time to draw up business models and re-configure to figure in new info.

The fact that the company that owns the team actually owns the building and that the building has been a proven money maker without the NHL..... well we can only guess how much the stock will rise now.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Well now that you have gotten the issue of presenting your e-peen to everyone.....

Bolded section.... I think you mean Orr as in Bobby, maybe spelling might have been an issue in that paper of yours not getting published.

Small market teams have a much better chance of success in the new NHL. With the cap, revenue sharing and in Canadas case the dollar, small market teams have it much easier now.

TNSE has had the idea for NHL back in Winnipeg for years now, and Chip and Thomson are pretty bright guys and will have had lots of time to draw up business models and re-configure to figure in new info.

The fact that the company that owns the team actually owns the building and that the building has been a proven money maker without the NHL..... well we can only guess how much the stock will rise now.

Rule #1...don't go onto a hockey forum and mispell 'Orr' while trying to demonstrate your knowledge. Yikes. I'm going to assume it's a typo. Still a very, very bad typo to make around here. :)

I might also question how when his studies on the topic of the NHL took place. Perhaps 12 years ago, or more? 15? Times change. I get the impression that his knowledge of the modern NHL, TNSE, Thomson, and the MTS Centre, is dated. Anyways, no one can blame him for being skeptical. Me, I believe TNSE and the NHL have crunched the numbers extensively in the last 5 years, and have had microscopes on each other. It definitely appears they have lined up all their ducks in a row in order to give this a legitimate chance to succeed. No guarantees of course. Small market and all.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
I post a lot here with an iPad. Sure I'm not the only one. Let's be a little more gentle on the autocorrect stuff, mkay? ;-)

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
That is easy to say in hindsight, but it is now apparent that nobody connected with TNSE or the league had any idea that tickets were going to sell out as quickly as they did. There was risk in both pricing the tickets as high as they did (average ticket price of over $80 is one of the highest in the league) and requiring all subscribers to commit to 3 to 5 year terms.

And there is a limit to how much you can charge even when demand exceeds supply; at some point TNSE would have risked backlash from being seen as simply gouging customers.

Excellent points, and the last thing they wanted to do was charge high now, then if the team performs badly have to slash prices in five years - the optics would have been horrible.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
One of the former Atlanta Spirit owners is making rumblings about filing an injunction against the sale due to him not being notified of local buyers while the case was being settled.

I would not be surprised to see the NHL try to rush this through before anyone has to discuss the details of this sale under oath.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
I would not be surprised to see the NHL try to rush this through before anyone has to discuss the details of this sale under oath.

Seriously? I think the NHL brass hates the ASG. I don't think they are going to allow one obstructionist member of that group to derail the timeframe.

There is no local owner in Atlanta. If there were, wouldn't we have heard about how they were "shut out" by now? This is just an attempted moneygrab by a member of ASG.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
One of the former Atlanta Spirit owners is making rumblings about filing an injunction against the sale due to him not being notified of local buyers while the case was being settled.

Twitter from: Chris Vivlamore

Getting queries about whether July 11 hearing in Md. is effort to stop #Thrashers sale. No, just procedural matter to end court case there.

http://twitter.com/#!/ajcthrashers

Puckschmuck*

well then you are going to LOVE the first 4 star hotel in winnipeg that True North is planning to build across portage from MTS centre.
the team is only a small part of a BIG plan for downtown Winnipeg.... wish i had a link...

I believe it's going to be a five start hotel.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Seriously? I think the NHL brass hates the ASG. I don't think they are going to allow one obstructionist member of that group to derail the timeframe.

There is no local owner in Atlanta. If there were, wouldn't we have heard about how they were "shut out" by now? This is just an attempted moneygrab by a member of ASG.

Don't get me wrong, the Thrashers are gone gone gone.

However, chances are Atlanta Spirit under oath about this makes everyone look bad. And I am sure Belkin has some emails that the NHL would never want made public regarding how it all went down.

The only question is if anyone is going to toss him some hush money, if not I do think he is going to make things awkward for all involved.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
wasn't Belkin the dude they bought out last year? On what grounds could he get an injunction

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Graduated with a concentrated minor in economics, with business and economics credits in sports and entertainment industries as this was initially what I wanted to do in school as an undergrad. Almost had a paper published for microeconomics class analyzing the evolving business model of the national hockey league. Reliance on the media and advertising industries has grown more in the recent 20 to 30 years than it had between the 50s and 70s with the slow integration of license to broadcast games.

Media broadcasting and consequently television dollars were instituted to assist the recovery from when Ore retired and the coming of the great one. Gretzky's publicity and such increased demand astronomically to where tv demand was so great that the teams in the league could no longer walk away from the cash and exposure when it was evident that gate revenue was no longer going to help turn a profit.

Wow, so why are you commenting on a business plan you obviously know nothing about?

Education means nothing without knowledge of what you are speaking.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Any update from today's meeting?

It appears the co-owners of Winnipeg’s new NHL franchise made quite an impression on the NHL’s executive committee, Tuesday.

Mark Chipman and David Thomson appeared to update the league’s most influential governors on their purchase and relocation of the Atlanta Thrashers.

“They had a compelling story to tell on why NHL hockey in Winnipeg could and would be successful,†NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Sun, Tuesday. “The members of the executive committee to a man were very impressed.â€

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/07/nhl-brass-impressed-by-winnipeg--coowners

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
More good news in case anyone still had doubts about the BoG vote.

Unless we find out in the next 2 weeks that Chipman and Thomson are actually accomplices being used by Dr Evil to take over the world, that vote is a fait accompli. :yo:

Winnipeg already has a link set up under the teams section at NHL.com. It just redirects back to the home page, but that does indicate this vote is nothing more than a rubber stamp....

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
More good news in case anyone still had doubts about the BoG vote.

Unless we find out in the next 2 weeks that Chipman and Thomson are actually accomplices being used by Dr Evil to take over the world, that vote is a fait accompli. :yo:

Or Balsillie.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I believe it's going to be a five start hotel.

Where are you getting this information from? I haven't seen any real details released to the public.

To the previous psoter it wouldn't be the city's first 4 star hotel. That would be the Fairmont.

If it is a 5 star hotel it wouldn't even be the first 5 star hotel as they're building the city's first 5 star hotel by the new airport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad