Winnipeg Naming discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I personally have a hard time seeing TNSE naming them the Polar Bears, just seems a bit child like.

We'll see, TNSE is a good group so I have trust in them that they will do things the right way here in whichever decisions they make, just as they have during this entire process.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
"Polar Bears" is right up there with the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim as worst NHL name ever.

Not that I disagree, but if the "Maple Leafs" weren't so nostalgic just picture a new team being named the "Maple Leafs" today. Naming a team after a leaf, plant or flower in 2011? People would go crazy throwing fits lol.

zimmy61

Aug 17, 2009
"Polar Bears" is right up there with the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim as worst NHL name ever.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing that even comes close (Polar Bears included) to being up there with the Mighty Ducks. And that's even after many years have passed allowing the shock of such an embarrassing name to wear off. :laugh:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I personally have a hard time seeing TNSE naming them the Polar Bears, just seems a bit child like.

Really? Childlike?

From what I know of polar bears they are huge, tough, and extremely violent when they want to be. Sounds like the perfect hockey name to me.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Polar Bears.....

facepalm2.jpg

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Really? Childlike?

From what I know of polar bears they are huge, tough, and extremely violent when they want to be. Sounds like the perfect hockey name to me.

To each their own, it just sounds a bit too child-friendly, like the "Mighty Ducks", to me. Feel free to disagree. Perhaps if it is indeed the name it will grow on me, i'm sure it would once the jerseys were introduced and marketing takes its course.

Update on the naming situation from EJ Hradek,

EJHradek_NHL EJ Hradek
For those asking, I hear that it's unlikely that they'll be any announcement today about the team name (Jets, Moose, etc) in Winnipeg.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
People thought Moose was bad? Some of these rumors are going to have people begging for Moose.

I actually agree. In the last hour, I've even had an assistant to the director of Downtown Winnipeg Biz say Winnipeg Thrashers has serious potential.

Also heard True North might not even reveal name till tickets are bought which would be a douchey move.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
if they're called the Polar Bears, I'm going to openly hope the BOG votes this down. What a ridiculous, horrible name

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Really? Childlike?

Polar bears are extremely violent?? lol

From a sourced Wikipedia entry:
"Unlike grizzly bears, polar bears are not territorial. Although stereotyped as being voraciously aggressive, they are normally cautious in confrontations, and often choose to escape rather than fight"

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Polar bears are extremely violent?? lol

From a sourced Wikipedia entry:
"Unlike grizzly bears, polar bears are not territorial. Although stereotyped as being voraciously aggressive, they are normally cautious in confrontations, and often choose to escape rather than fight"

sure.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19901212&slug=1109098

or one of the more infamous ones: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=psYqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=fbkFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2532,4952051

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
I think that the following three are more plausible.

Manitoba Rebels - Black/Red
Manitoba Polar Bears - Powder Blue/White
Manitoba Falcons - Brown (Moose and Thrashers mix)

Keep praying for :
Winnipeg Jets - Blue/White/Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad