Winnipeg Naming discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Car companies bring back classic names all the times and people get hugely excited for that. How is this Jets name any different?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yeah.

Only one NHL team has kept their name during reloction though.

If it's not Jets, at least keep the 'Winnipeg.' No point in trying to distinguish when the team is going to be playing in Winnipeg Proper. Not like it's a suburb.

There have been rumours that calling a team "Manitoba" may have been part of the deal with the province for their part in financing the MTS Centre.

AugustBurnsRed*

Wow. You give the Jets that little credit?

If Atlanta had the kind of history the Jets had maybe they wouldn't be moving...

I mean really...how many 76 goal nhl rookie scoring records do the other teams hold? That would be...NONE.

Playoff success? Well it would've helped if maybe the Jets were in a different division where they wouldn't have to face the powerhouse OILERS EVERY YEAR!!

In fact, the Jets history is sooooooo bad that Phoenix desperately tries to cling onto it by retiring jerseys of players who have never even wore a Coyotes jersey.

This is the history that you seem to want to throw away?

That is the history of the team in Phoenix ;)

BIGROCK

May 4, 2011
ladies and gentlemen here are your.........................Manitoba Polar Bears

it'll grow on you

AugustBurnsRed*

Word on the street has it now that the name will be Manitoba Polar Bears. This was mentioned on Edmonton Sportsradio yesterday and now Darren Ford is tweeting it.

Take it for what it's worth.

FML :help:

Edit.. Bah Whatever... Polar Bears are pretty cool animals.. lmao.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
TNSE is definitely over thinking it... while it doesn't sound bad and I like the idea of powder blue jerseys (as the Penguins dropped theirs and obviously the Thrashers are no more) I think the Winnipeg Jets/Manitoba Jets or the Manitoba Falcons with a retro Winnipeg Jets style 3rd jersey would've been the way to go.

Retail1LO*

If they call the team the Polar Bears, then I'm truly sorry that Atlanta is losing a team.

That couldn't sound more amateurish. Might as well be the Solar Bears. Yeah...it's that awful.

AugustBurnsRed*

If they call the team the Polar Bears, then I'm truly sorry that Atlanta is losing a team.

That couldn't sound more amateurish. Might as well be the Solar Bears. Yeah...it's that awful.

Uhm? Not really.

There is a team called the Ducks, btw.

Retail1LO*

I'd be willing to wager that TNSE still does not know what they're calling this team. I'm sure they're really torn between restoring a team name with historical significance that's HUGELY popular, and trying to go against the grain, and try to look original and fresh.
Here's to hoping in favor of tradition and common sense.

Retail1LO*

Uhm? Not really.

There is a team called the Ducks, btw.

I'm aware. I didn't say that was a particularly strong effort either. It's right up there with so many other lame monikers. I'm not saying "Jets" is exciting, per se, but the name is just so synonymous with pro hockey in Winnipeg. It'd be like tryin to rebrand any of the original six teams. Sorry. I'm just a staunch traditionalist when it comes to hockey.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Word on the street has it now that the name will be Manitoba Polar Bears. This was mentioned on Edmonton Sportsradio yesterday and now Darren Ford is tweeting it.

Take it for what it's worth.

Yeah, I heard that from a couple people too - Manitoba Polar Bears with power blue color scheme like old Quebec Nordiques.

Retail1LO*

ladies and gentlemen here are your.........................Manitoba Polar Bears

it'll grow on you

No. It won't. Not one paft of that will grow on me. In fact, if it's the Manitoba Polar Bears, I'll instantly be as disinterested in the team as I was before it left Atlanta...and even moreso than what's left in Phoenix. That is simply horrendous. All I see is them doing advertising deals with "Icee" and Coke. Just...whatever. With a name like that, they'll be lucky if NBC, Versus, or any other entity EVER goes out of their way to broadcast one of their games.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I think Manitoba Falcons is a fine name and what they are probably going to be called.

They will want a name as soon as possible so they can start getting merchandise out on the market.

Retail1LO*

The jersey does have interesting potential..

Oh yeah. They could do a vertical blue-red barber pole design and put the Icee Polar bear on it

icee-1.jpg

Or partner up with Coke and use this...

coca-cola-polar-bear-funny-1.jpg

Yeah. Interesting. :shakehead

I really hope they're not the effin' Polar Bears.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Really hope Polar Bears is not true.

I'm not picky on what I'd accept. Moose, Jets, Falcons.

But please avoid anything related to Winnipeg or Manitoba being a cold barren wasteland. Ie polar bears, Ice, Blizard, etc.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If TNSE names the team the Polar Bears they are the stupidest people on the planet.

I guess that they are really out to prove the old adage that being rich doesn't make you smart.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Sounds awkward right now but I think it will grow on everyone, if this is true. Manitoba is one of this biggest polar bear tourist destinations in the world and the biggest and best polar bear zoo exhibit on the planet is being built at our zoo here so it's not a random name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad