Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It's also just copied from a AAA spring league team in Winnipeg.
Yes, and it was a nice construction. The Maple Leaf, the Falcons heritage name as national Olympic champs, the black and white, the bird flying in a cool position, not those Caps throwback sidewards awkward looking logos. Good job. My fav so far.

homelogo.jpg

Though if there will be a Manitoba Falcons name, it'd be nice to add some traditional colors from the old team:

Team-Canada-First-Jersey-and-2004-World-Cup-of-Hockey-Jersey-Lapel-Pin.jpg

Wpg Jets Fan

Aug 13, 2008
Wild West
Does anyone else feel like if they were going to be the Moose, that it would have been announced by now?

agreed. and on tsn.ca Darren Dreger is reporting that the team name will be revealed shortly after the BOG meeting. And TSNE will use a generic NHL jersey for draft day.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
See, I care about hockey history, and so do a few others here in this thread, or else we wouldn't be having this discussion. I also like to give the Coyotes' fans credit that perhaps they do, even though others may give them no credit all all. Of course, I could likely be very wrong and they perhaps could care less; but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Poor attendance and limbo ownership and all, I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I'll stand by my opinion that shifting around history shouldn't be done lightly, and yes we should acknowledge the Thrashers' history. The one banner, Dan Snyder, and all.

Our balls should be big enough that we should be able to deal with a new name. That is all. :D

I care about hockey history, too. The difference here with us, though, is that I don't believe the history of clubs like the Atlanta Thrashers and Phoenix Coyotes has any real legitimacy. To me, they weren't/aren't real NHL hockey clubs. They're both failed marketing experiments by a runaway league that meant little to anyone when they existed, and simply don't deserve any sort of preservation or even acknowledgement after justice is done and they are wiped from existence.

I know that sounds harsh. But come on. How many people even in Phoenix and Atlanta will fondly remember the Coyotes and Thrashers even a few years after they're gone? They'll have about the same lasting impact on their communities as CFL US clubs such as the Shreveport Pirates and Baltimore Stallions.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
I care about hockey history, too. The difference here with us, though, is that I don't believe the history of clubs like the Atlanta Thrashers and Phoenix Coyotes has any real legitimacy. To me, they weren't/aren't real NHL hockey clubs. They're both failed marketing experiments by a runaway league that meant little to anyone when they existed, and simply don't deserve any sort of preservation or even acknowledgement after justice is done and they are wiped from existence.
I care about hockey history, too. The difference with me is that the Jets were an outright failure at the gate in the 1990's.

I know that sounds harsh. But the Thrashers last five years outdrew the Jets last five years.

Of course, this is tongue-in-cheek. But some of my Canadian brethren are having selective amnesia and still believe the NHL is supposed to be the steward of the game, when in fact it is a business, and still forget that Atlanta has one the best attendance records for an expansion team ever.

AugustBurnsRed*

I care about hockey history, too. The difference with me is that the Jets were an outright failure at the gate in the 1990's.

I know that sounds harsh. But the Thrashers last five years outdrew the Jets last five years.

Of course, this is tongue-in-cheek. But some of my Canadian brethren are having selective amnesia and still believe the NHL is supposed to be the steward of the game, when in fact it is a business, and still forget that Atlanta has one the best attendance records for an expansion team ever.

This post lacks context.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The old Winnipeg Arena had a theoretical hockey seating capacity of 15,393, but a lot of those seats had obstructed views. Furthermore, Jets I had no revenues from concessions/parking/etc. Jets II will have those revenue streams, as well as luxury suites.

True, but what do you think Atlanta's attendance would've been like this past season, if they had been guaranteed in the summer of 2010 that 2010-2011 would be their last season in Atlanta? That was what Winnipeg was operating under during their last season. Consider the similar case of the Houston Oilers' final year in Houston. Let's just say that crowds of less than 20,000 for NFL games were embarressing.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I own one of those mustard-yellow and black Falcons retro jerseys. In truth..they look much better in pictures or on TV than they do in person, and not an a player kitted out in gear and helmets etc. Worn on a fan..they are somewhat...gross, when you see and wear them for real. Just IMHO.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
It's not bad and actually grows on you a bit (fungus jokes need not apply).

It is just a bit too busy for me. Tone it down a bit and it might work.

SaskaToba

Aug 23, 2010
Canada
I just think the British design is really similar to the Blue Jackets, and I don't think we need a maple leaf on our logo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, the Manitoba Falcons???

This is from a video montage presented by Mark Chipman at the Winnipeg Chamber of commerce. The video begins with all of the NHL team logos flashing across the screen, with this as the last logo.

Nevermind... it's the Capitals alternate logo. Maybe a good reason to avoid the "Falcons"?

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
From The Hockey News today, Jim Ludlow, president of TNSE, says the name game is still being played:

As for the new team's name, Ludlow is no longer predicting it will come before Tuesday's NHL board of governors meeting, where the sale of the Thrashers to True North is expected to be approved.

He's not even predicting a name before the NHL draft next Friday.

"That's tough—unlikely—possible, but there are a number of issues," he said.

"We just have to manage our way through and, whether it's next week or the following week, get to the point where we can make the right decision and the right announcement at the right time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad