GDT: @ Winnipeg Jets

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Hard to win when we're playing 3 players (maybe) who have a shot to score.

The few times Jets were in our zone they don't wait or look for the perfect pass, they just shoot. Watched Nic Roy the only time he's in the scoring zone and he waits and waits and finally doesn't even get a shot. Not to mention an overdose of Kolesar ice time. Granted, we don't have the players right now, but the system sucks, too.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Geez 41 shots and no goals. Can't be the PDB system can it? Fire this idiot now!

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I'm curious, do Vegas fans think the coach or the injuries are more to blame?
Much more the injuries, but their style does not lend itself to scoring. Way too much perimeter play, overpassing, and far too many at this point who are just not NHLers (including Kolesar, who plays regular minutes every night despite the fact that he sucks).

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I’d say the injuries. Our coach has actually won a bunch of regular season games since he has been here. A bigger concern for me is his offense finds a way to die in the playoffs. Guess that won’t be an issue this year with the offense dying right now.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I’d say the injuries. Our coach has actually won a bunch of regular season games since he has been here. A bigger concern for me is his offense finds a way to die in the playoffs. Guess that won’t be an issue this year with the offense dying right now.
It is both with the majority being the coach. This coach has done this before. If this was the first time that this has happened, i would definitely give him the benefit of the doubt, but it isn't. He is doing to this team the same exact thing he did to the Sharks.

This team is easy to defend. Just collapse to the net and the Knights won't score cause all they play is perimeter hockey.

It is too late to fire him now, but he has to go in the offseason.

Last edited:

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
Another 40+ shot, no goal game :confused:. I wonder what offers they had for Smith at the TDL.

EMcx2

Dec 11, 2021
Definitely the injuries. The Golden Knights are routinely playing at least 6 guys who should be in the minor leagues and yet they are still in the playoff race. Tonight they played without their 2 top wings, a couple of other wings, 4 of the starting 6 D-man and the number 1 goalie. No coach in the world could make up for that. I think the staff has done a good job keeping the wheels on this long... Just look at what happened to Montreal to see how bad it could have been.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Coaches. There's no excuse why Marchessault + Eichel + Theodore + Pietrangelo can't come up with some PP goals.

And what's worse is they're really laying the injury excuse on thick.
Yeah the only thing injuries have done is remove enough talent that disguised how bad the coaches are.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yeah the only thing injuries have done is remove enough talent that disguised how bad the coaches are.

The positive right now is they haven't done too much damage for the long term, and they're still a team poised to fight for 2nd in the Pathetic Pacific with some easy fixes in the offseason. Plus Roy & Hague's #s aren't looking so hot so their cap situation isn't catastrophic.

I can see the season ticket campaign now: Golden Knights: we're not catastrophically bad.

The negative is there's still so much more they could screw up.

Reactions: hangman005

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Another loss, and Stars win.

Don't think this year is looking good for the playoffs.

Disappointing.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
The positive right now is they haven't done too much damage for the long term, and they're still a team poised to fight for 2nd in the Pathetic Pacific with some easy fixes in the offseason. Plus Roy & Hague's #s aren't looking so hot so their cap situation isn't catastrophic.

I can see the season ticket campaign now: Golden Knights: we're not catastrophically bad.

The negative is there's still so much more they could screw up.
I think this season is shot, we should accept that and not rush back injured players and risk/cause permanent damage (think Stone). I kind of agree we're fine for the long term, especially next year, but we need to get rid of guys like Brossoit and Pacioretty, maybe even Karlsson, resign Smith and start to build some ground up talent on ELC's for the future. We'll never have trouble attracting free agents to fill in, but long-term that's not the solution.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think this season is shot, we should accept that and not rush back injured players and risk/cause permanent damage (think Stone). I kind of agree we're fine for the long term, especially next year, but we need to get rid of guys like Brossoit and Pacioretty, maybe even Karlsson, resign Smith and start to build some ground up talent on ELC's for the future. We'll never have trouble attracting free agents to fill in, but long-term that's not the solution.

Whether they're rushed or not, GMs will be demanding an independant physical on Stone based on the Dadonov cap clearing trade.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Maybe we'll have a new management team to work on this problem. I think the hype on getting Eichel was just so misguided, he's a long-term solution while most were trying to look at him as wow he's going to help them win it this year. An offseason and then preseason to gel with this team and his linemates will make a world of difference. The rest of the key pieces just need some time off to get right, all the long postseasons put them in a bad spot this season.

And yes, hopefully a new coaching staff with far less inflexibility on their system and more focus on matching skill sets and letting players and lines play to their strengths. While a few players fit well in the PDB system, it feels like most aren't a fit and its hurt their development like Shea. He's a creator and puck mover, not a guy that should just be blasting shots away from the point or dumping the puck down low for a cycle. Very different players, but I remember when the other Karlsson went to SJ everyone saw his game deteriorate fast despite being on a very talented team. The PDB system was a terrible fit for him too. He's old and injured a lot now so hard to draw conclusions, but watching him in a few games he looks at least much more in his style. I hope Shea gets his game back once they get off this antiquated crap system.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Maybe we'll have a new management team to work on this problem. I think the hype on getting Eichel was just so misguided, he's a long-term solution while most were trying to look at him as wow he's going to help them win it this year. An offseason and then preseason to gel with this team and his linemates will make a world of difference. The rest of the key pieces just need some time off to get right, all the long postseasons put them in a bad spot this season.

And yes, hopefully a new coaching staff with far less inflexibility on their system and more focus on matching skill sets and letting players and lines play to their strengths. While a few players fit well in the PDB system, it feels like most aren't a fit and its hurt their development like Shea. He's a creator and puck mover, not a guy that should just be blasting shots away from the point or dumping the puck down low for a cycle. Very different players, but I remember when the other Karlsson went to SJ everyone saw his game deteriorate fast despite being on a very talented team. The PDB system was a terrible fit for him too. He's old and injured a lot now so hard to draw conclusions, but watching him in a few games he looks at least much more in his style. I hope Shea gets his game back once they get off this antiquated crap system.
Theodore under Gallant: 94 pts. 189 GP (24g, 70a)

Theodore under DeBoer: 97 pts. 137 GP (23g, 74a)

He hasn't been great in his own end under either but had some flashes especially in the postseason under DeBoer.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Theodore under Gallant: 94 pts. 189 GP (24g, 70a)

Theodore under DeBoer: 97 pts. 137 GP (23g, 74a)

He hasn't been great in his own end under either but had some flashes especially in the postseason under DeBoer.
Yes, but I don't see flashes anymore. Since Petro came he's regressed. He looked great in the bubble, but hard to say if PDB's system was fully implemented there. Last year's playoffs he contributed so little, Petro and Martinez were the D-men who got all the notice. And then this season his scoring and possession numbers are down again. His goals seem to come when he gets going on an odd-man rush, when he's able to use those skills he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad