Winnipeg Jets Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Shoot out time.

Morrissey was very assertive at both ends of the rink today so I quite like what I see, easily the best dmen on the ice.
Pionk looked solid as well and was moving the puck nicely.

Didn't notice DeMelo, Poolman or Forbert much at all which may not actually be a bad thing.

Only issue with Pionk and JoMo together is that it puts both of our best puck movers together and that could create issues for our other pairings.

Top 6 had some moments but were too fancy at times, clearly preseason type stuff.

Samberg had a solid first period but was off in the second and served up some bad turnovers.
Green impressed me a lot today. He was managing the puck real well in his own end and was strong on the boards. He also jumped into the play a couple of times. Hopefully he can have a strong year, there is still player in there if he can get healthy.

Stanley looked awkward and wasn't a factor.
Niku was ok, still high event at both ends.
Kivacevik and Suess were solid
Ves started well but started getting too fancy as the game went on. He needs to learn to sometimes make the simple play instead of trying to turn things into a highlight real. There is also a player here that can help the team, just needs to simplify at times.

Not sure what to make of Perrault getting waved, methinks Harkins has that final slot.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Standouts for me were Ehlers & KC both looked very good.

Stats, Mark, Wheeler, Laine and Josh were ok.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Very difficult to glean a lot from that one brief scrimmage. From a macro level, I thought it was very encouraging to see the play in the defensive end,especially the breakouts. Seemed that all players were in sync with drills they had probably practiced this past week and they were executing quite nicely (but without facing an aggressive physical forecheck). I was however more disappointed in not seeing anything structured in the neutral zone and the offensive zone. Seemed to be little emphasis given to controlled entries and generating shots on net . Interestingly, didn`t see much structure to cycle work (even of the down low variety) and certainly didn`t see any attempts to enlarge the cycle work to include our D (cycle n/s, as well as simply in the corner and behind the net). After watching, I would be hard pressed to tell you what the approach is to the forecheck as well. But all in all, I think there is room for optimism that the final group team play will be improved over last year.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

EreFdbQW4AwVuir

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Very difficult to glean a lot from that one brief scrimmage. From a macro level, I thought it was very encouraging to see the play in the defensive end,especially the breakouts. Seemed that all players were in sync with drills they had probably practiced this past week and they were executing quite nicely (but without facing an aggressive physical forecheck). I was however more disappointed in not seeing anything structured in the neutral zone and the offensive zone. Seemed to be little emphasis given to controlled entries and generating shots on net . Interestingly, didn`t see much structure to cycle work (even of the down low variety) and certainly didn`t see any attempts to enlarge the cycle work to include our D (cycle n/s, as well as simply in the corner and behind the net). After watching, I would be hard pressed to tell you what the approach is to the forecheck as well. But all in all, I think there is room for optimism that the final group team play will be improved over last year.

From what Maurice was saying, last week was largely focused on dzone play and they were going to use this week's practices to start with the ozone schemes.

He wasn't planning on working much on the nz much. I think that is a mistake though as this team has never really had much of an offensive nz plan.

Probably why we looked more polished in our end then the other areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mathil8 and ecolad

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
From what Maurice was saying, last week was largely focused on dzone play and they were going to use this week's practices to start with the ozone schemes.

He wasn't planning on working much on the nz much. I think that is a mistake though as this team has never really had much of an offensive nz plan.

Probably why we looked more polished in our end then the other areas.

Thanks, I hadn`t heard that. Just hoping to get a glimpse of what is in store for fundamental things like how the D will get more involved in the offense, and,how aggressive the forecheck will be.

Reactions: surixon

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Only issue with Pionk and JoMo together is that it puts both of our best puck movers together and that could create issues for our other pairings.

It's possible that they were only together so they could both be with Team White for the Power play, whereas the others needed to be on Team Blue for the PK.

Reactions: FinJetster

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's possible that they were only together so they could both be with Team White for the Power play, whereas the others needed to be on Team Blue for the PK.

I had thought about that as well. I'm not sure how Moe is leaning now, guess we will.see in practice tomorrow.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I haven't been paying any attention, life goes on, but with Perreault getting waived is that a spot for Vesalainen, has he shown enough? Has Suess shown enough to make the taxi squad? Does Heinola make the team, and Sbisa go to the taxi squad?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts... (COVID scrimmage version, truncated, of course)...

Ehlers, Scheifele and Laine really had their hands and wheels going today. Ehlers is getting better and better at zone exits. Scheifele looked like he could turn it on anytime he wanted. Laine's skating looked smooth / effortless, and his hands looked as good as anytime in the past couple of years.

Stastny looked a step behind Laine and Connor. I hope that was a scrimmage / camp thing.

KVes looked really strong and impressive. I know he muffed a couple of razzle-dazzles, but overall he was skating well, positioning well, and was really solid with the puck.

Samberg looked ready to play at the NHL level. His gaps and stick are very good - he really smothers plays in the neutral zone and high in his own zone on the rush. But more importantly, his puck management was generally very good. Lots of high-end plays for a rookie, showing his experience at a high level of competition in the NCAA. I have a hard time seeing how he isn't already a better option than Beaulieu and maybe Forbort.

The Copp-Lowry line with Lewis or Appleton are going to be really hard to play against, even if they don't score much.

Morrissey looked aggressive and confident, but Pionk is a really bad partner for him. It's good that the pairings aren't likely to include Morrissey-Pionk (apparently the D pairs were meant to align for special teams today).

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Ehlers, Laine and Laine really had their hands and wheels going today. Ehlers is getting better and better at zone exits. Scheifele looked like he could turn it on anytime he wanted. Laine's skating looked smooth / effortless, and his hands looked as good as anytime in the past couple of years.

Stastny looked a step behind Laine and Connor. I hope that was a scrimmage / camp thing.

KVes looked really strong and impressive. I know he muffed a couple of razzle-dazzles, but overall he was skating well, positioning well, and was really solid with the puck.

Samberg looked ready to play at the NHL level. His gaps and stick are very good - he really smothers plays in the neutral zone and high in his own zone on the rush. But more importantly, his puck management was generally very good. Lots of high-end plays for a rookie, showing his experience at a high level of competition in the NCAA. I have a hard time seeing how he isn't already a better option than Beaulieu and maybe Forbort.

The Copp-Lowry line with Lewis or Appleton are going to be really hard to play against, even if they don't score much.

Morrissey looked aggressive and confident, but Pionk is a really bad partner for him. It's good that the pairings aren't likely to include Morrissey-Pionk (apparently the D pairs were meant to align for special teams today).
Well he can't complain about ice time now...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Ehlers, Laine and Laine really had their hands and wheels going today. Ehlers is getting better and better at zone exits. Scheifele looked like he could turn it on anytime he wanted. Laine's skating looked smooth / effortless, and his hands looked as good as anytime in the past couple of years.

Nice summery. I don't feel Samberg/Ves are very far away and imo could both fill key roles on this team. I don't know that either starts the year but I expect both to be mainstays at some point this year. I really like the idea of Ves down low on PP 2 if he has the breen light to walk it to the front of the net.

I didn't mind JoMo and Pionk but I agree that if you want both to really activate then I think you need both on different pairings.

Wasn't overly impressed with Poolman and Forbert as a pairing, lets hope they each look better with JoMo/Pionk respectively. Still don't see Poolman being anywhere near good enough to play on the top pairing would rather DeMelo go back there and keep a solid third pairing with Poolman and Beau.

What were your thoughts on some of the other young dmen (Green, Stanley, Niku, Kovacevik, and Chisholm)?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks for all the updates, folks. Not much time these days but plan on catching up on the scrimmage later this week if they archive it.

Good to see that some of the big dogs are hitting the season in top form, and think the taxi squad setup might actually give some valuable experience for prospects as they get drafted in and hopefully get a few reps.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad