Winnipeg Jets Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Camp will be underway very soon. Time to have a dedicated thread to discuss. Does anyone have any idea who the players will be that Chevy brings in to camp on PTO's? I think this camp will highly competitive as we have lots of competition on D. Let's get some info rolling here!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No idea who Chevy brings in but I am looking forward to it outside of not being able to get updates from people attending them this year.

Big question marks for me:

Who has the inside track for the second pairing LD slot?

Does Ves surprise at camp and steal Roslovic's roster spot?

What do they plan on doing with Perfetti and Heinola given that due to quarantine rules they will miss all of camp once the WJC are over.

Do we see anything different in terms of line composition and special team formations?

Should be interesting given our first game is almost 2 weeks away.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Hopefully we get some homegrown players in there. I'd like to see Dale Weise get a tryout, and maybe a spot on the Moose, so that we have a potential tougher player to help through some likely dirty games in the grind (hello Calgary). Micheal Grabner would be another one, for PKing depth, and someone who could potentially replace Roslovic on a checking line of Copp-Lowry. I think Nick Shore is another player to look at, as he did well in the regular season. He an Copp kind of recussitated our PK, but in the playins I thought Shore struggled.

Hammer is going to have a tough time winning a spot here as I think Samberg could steal a spot from Beaulieu or Poolman, and his upside is obviously a lot higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
No idea who Chevy brings in but I am looking forward to it outside of not being able to get updates from people attending them this year.

Big question marks for me:

Who has the inside track for the second pairing LD slot?

Does Ves surprise at camp and steal Roslovic's roster spot?

What do they plan on doing with Perfetti and Heinola given that due to quarantine rules they will miss all of camp once the WJC are over.

Do we see anything different in terms of line composition and special team formations?

Should be interesting given our first game is almost 2 weeks away.

I'd like to see some more of Vesalainen-Gustafsson as the top line in the A, work on some chemistry before making the jump, as they are two players, who could potentially give us a 4 line attack.

Heinola I would be surprised if he made the team. I wonder if the Jets want him around an unhappy Laine, or if they want to wait until that storm has cleared next year, when he can take more of a leadership role, as I think Samberg is the player being developed to play this year, and 2 rookies on a Maurice/Huddy defense is almost inconceivable.

I don't see any better option for Perfetti than keeping him on the team. I don't know if the OHL can operate, and if they do, where does Saginaw play? I can't see how a limited numbers of games, but a full season of practice with pros isn't good for his development. given the alternatives. If there is a loophole to send him to the A, that would be even better.

I'm interested to see how Stastny affects PP formations. He was good on the 1st unit in his time here, and is generally good on the draw.. Even if we keep the status quo, him and Ehlers is 2/3 of a good 2nd unit. Maybe Roslovic being out, opens a spot for Harkins, who got limited minutes last year. Right now it looks like Copp-Lowry, Thompson-Appleton would be the heavy lifters on the PK. Toninato and Suess are longer shots. Gustafsson as well, performed well it seems on the Moose's 1st unit PK.

Reactions: RabidOne

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Hamonic for me... would be a good fit on a cheap 1 or 2 yr deal
Is Hamonic better then what we have? How much better is he then Poolman?
Id like to see more forward depth added. Is Thompson better then Toninato? Likely no, but he's a vet, maybe he's that guy we brought in to be the guy in the room?
Im hoping the training camp roster is posted soon. I miss the days when @AavcoCup would provide practically live updates, really wish he would come back and chime in again.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Id like to see more forward depth added. Is Thompson better then Toninato? Likely no, but he's a vet, maybe he's that guy we brought in to be the guy in the room?
Im hoping the training camp roster is posted soon. I miss the days when @AavcoCup would provide practically live updates, really wish he would come back and chime in again.

He lives in BC now iirc, so no more live updates. Could always follow him on twitter?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

In a shut down role, I think he is -
As for forwards adds, I'd be looking at using what we have - wouldn't mind seeing Vesa given an opportunity along with Harkins full time.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
In a shut down role, I think he is -
As for forwards adds, I'd be looking at using what we have - wouldn't mind seeing Vesa given an opportunity along with Harkins full time.
If you have a guy like Hammer that comes in reasonably and it does one of:

create competition for RHD spot

or

push Poolman down to 7/8th and Pionk down to 4/6

that’s a win.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Any PTO would have to already be in Canada to be there for the start of camp so you can make your guesses based on that.

Reactions: hn777

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
He lives in BC now iirc, so no more live updates. Could always follow him on twitter?
I know he does, but I didn't just mean live from the rink, he was always first to report new info with verified sources and links.
This year I hope the media is able to provide some good reports daily.

Reactions: MardyBum

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Is there any realistic way for us to know if a potential PTO is or isn't already in Canada?

Probably not but you'd think it might be hard to get someone like Vatanen into Canada without anyone knowing for the past couple of weeks. It might be further restricted by players not based in Ontario East.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is there any realistic way for us to know if a potential PTO is or isn't already in Canada?

The federal government just waived the quarantine requirements for NHL players so they would just need to do that 8 day quarantine/test thing that was agreed to with the provinces.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The federal government just waived the quarantine requirements for NHL players so they would just need to do that 8 day quarantine/test thing that was agreed to with the provinces.

Camp starts Sunday so they'd have had to been here since last Saturday.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Matt Martin, Michael Grabner and Jimmy Howard.

I know a guy online, who has a neighbour who went to her dentist. The dentist said that his golfing buddy was told by his work friend that her sisters boyfriend knows a fly that was sitting on Chevy's wall one day. So ya, extremely reliable source here....these are the 3 that will be announced for sure.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Kinda sad not to be going this year after being at the last half-dozen camps, especially since I won't have the chance going forward really.

Not sure about PTOs, but it's always interesting to see who comes in and outworks the team locks. Maybe Bowey, doubt that Hamonic is an option, although the vaccination schedules might affect his choices. Would love to see some of our prospects make the jump, so hope Vesa etc. have strong camps, and expect Reichel to be in with a chance.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Lineup and schedule to be posted tomorrow.
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad