Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects 2017 - Wrap Up

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Remember, he is 6'6.

And he was more productive in junior than Logan Stanley.
And the Flyers ranked him ahead of Monahan.
And he's always been pretty bad.

Are you sure he was really more productive than Stanley?

He was slightly better in his draft year, adjusting for league (QMJHL vs. OHL)

In their respective D+1 seasons (NHLE)...

Even strength:

Morin 7.90
Stanley 8.44

Overall:

Morin 12.2
Stanley 11.9

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
DeLeo 2nd and Lemieux not even on the list :shakehead watch the games pictures :shakehead

sorry I went by the head-shots in the OP. Lemieux's flow looks pretty contained in that shot.:dunno::dunno:

But it's like Chevy always says. You don't really know what kind of flow a prospect has until 5 or 6 years after they've been drafted.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
As the Jets develop you'll see less and less graduate out. Connor will graduate out to NHL, IMO. Poolman and Tanev will age out of these rankings next year. There's question marks surrounding Comrie, Lemieux, Green, De Leo, Berdin, Kostalek, Lipon, Phillips and maybe a few others if they will continue to be with the organization, IMO. I like some of those guys, just saying what I think might be guys leaving us.

I hope they can keep pushing a couple of guys up a year - at least bottom 6/bottom pair defensemen, backup goalies, the odd skill guy. Connor and maybe Poolman this year. Niku and Roslovic next. Vesalainen and ? in three years...

But yeah, we're probably (hopefully?) not going to see 4 or 5 in a year for a long time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think what we'll start to see is the Jets moving out middle/low end guys for futures and prospects to afford/keep the top end players, so that will slightly counteract the slow down in graduation.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Are you sure he was really more productive than Stanley?

He was slightly better in his draft year, adjusting for league (QMJHL vs. OHL)

In their respective D+1 seasons (NHLE)...

Even strength:

Morin 7.90
Stanley 8.44

Overall:

Morin 12.2
Stanley 11.9

What about their D+(D+1) seasons? Feel free to Marcel it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What about their D+(D+1) seasons? Feel free to Marcel it.

As noted above, they weren't that different in D seasons, and they aren't that much different combining D and D+1 seasons, if you adjust for league and PP points. Don't have time to do the simple math right now.

I think they were both bad picks, but Stanley wasn't a lot worse as a pick, all things considered.

Edit...

D plus D+1 (NHLe)...

Overall:

Morin 10.0
Stanley 8.45

Even-strength:

Morin 6.82
Stanley 5.96

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
As noted above, they weren't that different in D seasons, and they aren't that much different combining D and D+1 seasons, if you adjust for league and PP points. Don't have time to do the simple math right now.

I think they were both bad picks, but Stanley wasn't a lot worse as a pick, all things considered.

Edit...

D plus D+1 (NHLe)...

Overall:

Morin 10.0
Stanley 8.45

Even-strength:

Morin 6.82
Stanley 5.96

Your stats are informative and interesting. Do you have a source? I wanted to find out more about Jets defensive prospects and players, and their respective stats.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Edit...

D plus D+1 (NHLe)...

Overall:

Morin 10.0
Stanley 8.45

Even-strength:

Morin 6.82
Stanley 5.96

I was curious and I'm out using my phone, so thank you. :)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Your stats are informative and interesting. Do you have a source? I wanted to find out more about Jets defensive prospects and players, and their respective stats.

I just used the OHL and QMJHL stats from their respective websites.

I adjusted to NHL equivalencies using some standard factors (0.30 for the OHL and 0.26 for the QMJHL). Those might have changed recently, I suppose.

I don't think this justifies Stanley as a good pick, but more that Morin wasn't that much better by production stats, despite being picked at #11 (and reportedly ranked above Monahan) by the Flyers.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I just used the OHL and QMJHL stats from their respective websites.

I adjusted to NHL equivalencies using some standard factors (0.30 for the OHL and 0.26 for the QMJHL). Those might have changed recently, I suppose.

I don't think this justifies Stanley as a good pick, but more that Morin wasn't that much better by production stats, despite being picked at #11 (and reportedly ranked above Monahan) by the Flyers.
Aye. Morin was a bad pick.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Update to the Jets All-time 1st-10th ranked prospects, 2011-17. You can see the depth building on the right side of each row. Last year might have been the peak, but the Top 10 still looks pretty solid.

Rank | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017
#1|Scheifele|Scheifele|Trouba|Ehlers|Ehlers|Laine|Connor
#2|Klingberg|Trouba|Scheifele|Morrissey|Hellebuyck|Connor|Roslovic
#3|Cormier|Telegin|Morrissey|Hellebuyck|Morrisey|Hellebuyck|Vesalainen
#4|Postma|Postma|Lowry|Petan|Petan|Morrissey|Niku
#5|Gregoire|Machacek|Redmond|Hutchinson|Connor|Petan|Poolman
#6|Telegin|Cormier|Petan|Kosmachuk|Armia|Roslovic|Comrie
#7|O'Dell|Klingberg|Postma|Lowry|Roslovic|Armia|Spacek
#8|Maxwell|Pasquale|O'Dell|O'Dell|Harkins|Lemieux|Harkins
#9|Machacek|Sutter|Hellebuyck|Comrie|Comrie|Comrie|Samberg
#10|Kulda|Lowry|Telegin|Glover|Chiarot|Stanley|Stanley

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
This entire thread is BUNK!!!!!!!!!
Garbage assessment popularity contest!!!!

Clearly the only useful way to determine the top 20 ranking is by the "Flow Factor"

In which case

1. Appleton
2. DeLeo
3. Niku
4. Poolman

everyone else tied for 5th with what can only be described as "sub-Optimal-Flow.

Niku has to be ahead of DeLeo!!!!!!!!!!
23321175-800x_.jpg

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
This entire thread is BUNK!!!!!!!!!
Garbage assessment popularity contest!!!!

Clearly the only useful way to determine the top 20 ranking is by the "Flow Factor"

In which case

1. Appleton
2. DeLeo
3. Niku
4. Poolman

everyone else tied for 5th with what can only be described as "sub-Optimal-Flow.

Every time I see the AppleMan I see prime Ralph Malph.

I'd also include Comrie at #5 for the Ritchie Rich quiff.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
thoughts on this list a few months later? how would your top 10 look today? any major disappointments or surprises?

We dun messed up on Appleton. But I think his season in the AHL has caught a lot by surprise.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
thoughts on this list a few months later? how would your top 10 look today? any major disappointments or surprises?

No real disappointments per se (maybe Harkins a little bit), Appleton is a major surprise and would move into the top ten now along with Foley (who was very underrated on this list) and Lemieux. That would push Stanley Samberg and Harkins out of the top ten. All IMO of course.

Reactions: Rheged

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
top 10 imo:
1.Roslovic
2.Vesalainen
3.Foley
4.Niku
5.Comrie
6.Lemieux
7.Appleton
8.Samberg
9.Spacek
10.Kovacevic
HM: Stanley, Berdin, Harkins
(doesn't include current NHL guys)

Had tough time deciding the order of Niku and Foley; and Appleton, Samberg and Spacek

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Definitely not as deep as before but we still have a few good guys. I hope Vesalainen and Niku pan out.

Looking back at it I think we seem pretty deep... All of our prospects are extremely over playing their past expectations.

Vesalainen is leading his Liiga team in points(He is also in a select few of U19 Finnish Kids with over 0.7 PPG) while having missed some games.

Niku is top 10 in points amongst AHL Defenders...

They are both seem to be panning out this far...

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Lemieux has moved up IMO by virtue of having played (decently) in the NHL. Appleton should have moved up as well. Connor at #1 was obviously a good choice, as was Roslovic at #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00