Jan Kostalek - 6
C.J. Franklin - 3
Croix Evingson - 2
Arvid Holm - 2
Jordy Stallard - 2

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Definitely not as deep as before but we still have a few good guys. I hope Vesalainen and Niku pan out.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Rk | Player | POS | Current Team | +/- | Draft Yr
1| Kyle Connor| LW/C | Jets/Moose | +1|2015
2| Jack Roslovic| C/RW| AHL Moose|+4|2015
3| Kristian Vesalainen| LW/RW | Finland|NEW|2017
4| Sami Niku| D| Finland | +12|2015
5| Tucker Poolman |D|NCAA North Dakota|+9|2013
6| Eric Comrie| G | AHL Moose|+3|2013
7| Michael Spacek| C/RW| WHL Red Deer|+8|2015
8| Jansen Harkins| C| WHL Prince George|+5|2015
9| Dylan Samberg|D| US High School|NEW|2017
10| Logan Stanley| D| OHL Windsor|0|2016
11| Jonathan Kovacevic|D|NCAA Merrimack|NEW|2017
12| Erik Foley|LW|NCAA Providence|+5|2015
13| Brendan Lemieux|RW|AHL Moose|-5|2014
14| Luke Green|D|QMJHL Sherbrooke|-2|2016
15| Santeri Virtanen|C|Finland|NEW|2017
16| Chase De Leo|C|AHL Moose|-5 |2014
17| Nelson Nogier|D|AHL Moose|NR|2014
18|Leon Gawanke|D|QMJHL Cape Breton|NEW|2017
19|Mason Appleton|C|NCAA Michigan State|NR|2015
20.|Mikhail Berdin|G|USHL Sioux Falls|NR|2016

Graduated from 2016 class:

#1 Laine
#3 Hellebuyck
#4 Morrissey
#5 Petan
#7 Armia

Fell from rankings:

#18 Kosmachuk
#19 Kostalek
#20 Lipon

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
(...)
Fell from rankings:

#18 Kosmachuk
#19 Kostalek
#20 Lipon

Thanks for compiling the results and the grads / "fails" - no real surprises here. It's unfortunate that Kosmochuk didn't progress more, but it's a fairly telling tale about how hard it is to make it in the NHL - scored well in Junior, but couldn't translate.

I hope Kostalek sees a resurgence next year - if he can't return to some of his Q form, then I think he'll probably end up back in Europe after next year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Rk | Player | POS | Current Team | +/- | Draft Yr
1| Kyle Connor| LW/C | Jets/Moose | +1|2015
2| Jack Roslovic| C/RW| AHL Moose|+4|2015
3| Kristian Vesalainen| LW/RW | Finland|NEW|2017
4| Sami Niku| D| Finland | +12|2015
5| Tucker Poolman |D|NCAA North Dakota|+9|2013
6| Eric Comrie| G | AHL Moose|+3|2013
7| Michael Spacek| C/RW| WHL Red Deer|+8|2015
8| Jansen Harkins| C| WHL Prince George|+5|2015
9| Dylan Samberg|D| US High School|NEW|2017
10| Logan Stanley| D| OHL Windsor|0|2016
11| Jonathan Kovacevic|D|NCAA Merrimack|NEW|2017
12| Erik Foley|LW|NCAA Providence|+5|2015
13| Brendan Lemieux|RW|AHL Moose|-5|2014
14| Luke Green|D|QMJHL Sherbrooke|-2|2016
15| Santeri Virtanen|C|Finland|NEW|2017
16| Chase De Leo|C|AHL Moose|-5 |2014
17| Nelson Nogier|D|AHL Moose|NR|2014
18|Leon Gawanke|D|QMJHL Cape Breton|NEW|2017
19|Mason Appleton|C|NCAA Michigan State|NR|2015
20.|Mikhail Berdin|G|USHL Sioux Falls|NR|2016

#1 Laine
#3 Hellebuyck
#4 Morrissey
#5 Petan
#7 Armia

Fell from rankings:

#18 Kosmachuk
#19 Kostalek
#20 Lipon

5 NHL grads is a new record. Previous best was 4 when 1. Trouba, 2. Scheifele, 5. Redmond and 6. Postma made the move to the NHL in 2013-14.

Highest riser: Niku +12 (biggest jump by a skater on record)
Farthest faller: Lemieux/DeLeo -5

A total of 8 new players on the list - 5 2017 draft picks and 3 who weren't ranked last year. Average is 7.7.

Falling more than a couple of spots does not bode well for a player's NHL future. Postma dropped 3 spots between 2012 and 2013 and he's the only one that's survived a drop like that and still made it into the NHL...and his drop was mostly caused by the drafting of Morrissey and Petan. So De Leo and Lemieux beware...

We should have at least one NHL grad off this list for next season. Maybe as many as 3. The average is 2.2/year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thanks for compiling the results and the grads / "fails" - no real surprises here. It's unfortunate that Kosmochuk didn't progress more, but it's a fairly telling tale about how hard it is to make it in the NHL - scored well in Junior, but couldn't translate.

I hope Kostalek sees a resurgence next year - if he can't return to some of his Q form, then I think he'll probably end up back in Europe after next year.

I really think that Kostalek has been the victim of poor coaching at the AHL level. He was a guy who was solid safe defenseman at the QMJHL level. Honestly his game reminded me of Arturs Kulda or Rob Scuderi. Moves the puck well, plays great positioning, good skater, very safe player. And this is what I saw early on in his AHL days. Then all of the sudden he is making runs at guys on the blueline. He is trying to carry the puck up the ice all the way. Looking for the big hit, looking for the breakaway pass everytime. I just don't think that comes about all of the sudden, he was either coached towards that, or saw morons like MacWilliam doing stupid **** like that and playing far more minutes than him so he emulated it. I think if they get some proper coaches in place he has legit NHL potential if he can refind his safe smart game. But I agree he might a type where he heads back to Europe for 2-4 years after a poor NA experience. Then creates a bidding war for his services at 27-29 yo when he corrects the dumbness the Jets have tried to force him into.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
5 NHL grads is a new record. Previous best was 4 when 1. Trouba, 2. Scheifele, 5. Redmond and 6. Postma made the move to the NHL in 2013-14.

Highest riser: Niku +12 (biggest jump by a skater on record)
Farthest faller: Lemieux/DeLeo -5

A total of 8 new players on the list - 5 2017 draft picks and 3 who weren't ranked last year. Average is 7.7.

Falling more than a couple of spots does not bode well for a player's NHL future. Postma dropped 3 spots between 2012 and 2013 and he's the only one that's survived a drop like that and still made it into the NHL...and his drop was mostly caused by the drafting of Morrissey and Petan. So De Leo and Lemieux beware...

We should have at least one NHL grad off this list for next season. Maybe as many as 3. The average is 2.2/year.

As the Jets develop you'll see less and less graduate out. Connor will graduate out to NHL, IMO. Poolman and Tanev will age out of these rankings next year. There's question marks surrounding Comrie, Lemieux, Green, De Leo, Berdin, Kostalek, Lipon, Phillips and maybe a few others if they will continue to be with the organization, IMO. I like some of those guys, just saying what I think might be guys leaving us.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I really think that Kostalek has been the victim of poor coaching at the AHL level. He was a guy who was solid safe defenseman at the QMJHL level. Honestly his game reminded me of Arturs Kulda or Rob Scuderi. Moves the puck well, plays great positioning, good skater, very safe player. And this is what I saw early on in his AHL days. Then all of the sudden he is making runs at guys on the blueline. He is trying to carry the puck up the ice all the way. Looking for the big hit, looking for the breakaway pass everytime. I just don't think that comes about all of the sudden, he was either coached towards that, or saw morons like MacWilliam doing stupid **** like that and playing far more minutes than him so he emulated it. I think if they get some proper coaches in place he has legit NHL potential if he can refind his safe smart game. But I agree he might a type where he heads back to Europe for 2-4 years after a poor NA experience. Then creates a bidding war for his services at 27-29 yo when he corrects the dumbness the Jets have tried to force him into.

I wouldn't blame coaching, he was just never that good. Morrissey did just fine with the Moose and developed his game there to a higher level, can't blame coach here.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I wouldn't blame coaching, he was just never that good. Morrissey did just fine with the Moose and developed his game there to a higher level, can't blame coach here.

I disagree that because something worked for someone that it works for everyone. Players are all individual they all need different development, IMO.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sure. But I don't think he ever had much potential which is why I wouldn't pin in on just coaching.

Well that's just your opinion. Based on what I saw in Rimouski, I take Kostalek over Morin everyday. And Morin threatens to take a roster spot in Philly next year. I saw lots of potential in Kostalek as a solid safe 3rd pairing guy, much ahead of Morin. And the changes that have hurt his game with the Moose I blame on the coaching staff. Because he went away from his strengths towards a style Jets seem to prefer (high risk) I see that as a coaching issue.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Well that's just your opinion. Based on what I saw in Rimouski, I take Kostalek over Morin everyday. And Morin threatens to take a roster spot in Philly next year. I saw lots of potential in Kostalek as a solid safe 3rd pairing guy, much ahead of Morin. And the changes that have hurt his game with the Moose I blame on the coaching staff. Because he went away from his strengths towards a style Jets seem to prefer (high risk) I see that as a coaching issue.

Well that's your opinion ;)
I've just never been a fan.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

#1 Laine
#3 Hellebuyck
#4 Morrissey
#5 Petan
#7 Armia

Fell from rankings:

#18 Kosmachuk
#19 Kostalek
#20 Lipon

Looks like we were very accurate last year with 5 of the top 7 being promoted and only the bottom 3 falling off.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

What I saw in development camp and training camp the past couple of seasons was low energy and lackadaisical play by Kostalek. He just looked uninterested to me. You can blame it on coaches if you want, but I think Kostalek deserves most of the blame for lack of development.

I used to like him quite a bit as a prospect before -- now, not much.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Didn't you say approx the same thing about Kulda a few years back? He has been racking up those 10 point seasons in the K. When does the bidding war start? A 4th - 7th round pick is a long shot to make it. Sometimes a player just isn't good enough. If the Jets were busting on their 1st round picks I'd start getting worried, but as it is they are averaging 2 players per draft since coming to Winnipeg.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Didn't you say approx the same thing about Kulda a few years back? He has been racking up those 10 point seasons in the K. When does the bidding war start? A 4th - 7th round pick is a long shot to make it. Sometimes a player just isn't good enough. If the Jets were busting on their 1st round picks I'd start getting worried, but as it is they are averaging 2 players per draft since coming to Winnipeg.

Nope. I did say he would be worth a sign as a shutdown defenseman a few years ago as a 27yo or so after he shutdown Ovechkin and the Russians at the Olympics or WC can't remember. He has been a key piece for Latvia staying competitive. However he is making 3+ million playing in Europe and no one is taking the chance on him at that money as a guy who is likely just a solid 4-5 defenseman. He is a guy that would have been a nice piece for the Jets, but since he has been making the big money back in the KHL he has had no incentive to cross back over to North America.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm shocked that Philly fans actually like Morin. His numbers aren't very good and he's a penalty machine. Seems like pretty big liability to me. His production was only slightly better as an AHL rookie than Nogier's.

With regards to Kostelek I hope he turns things around. He didn't seem to be playing that badly at times during his first year but last year was just a a near write off.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Being / not being a fan of a player doesn't change that there definitely has been a stylistic shift for Kostalek.

Whether or not he would have ever succeeded better without that shift is a separate debate.

Thank you garret. This is more what I was getting at.

Personally I feel that it was coaching that was the cause of the change. I feel he would have been more successful with his junior style, but I can see the argument that he wouldn't have. It's basically impossible to know which is true.

I'm shocked that Philly fans actually like Morin. His numbers aren't very good and he's a penalty machine. Seems like pretty big liability to me. His production was only slightly better as an AHL rookie than Nogier's.

With regards to Kostelek I hope he turns things around. He didn't seem to be playing that badly at times during his first year but last year was just a a near write off.

I agree. I had Morin in late 2nd round territory and I honesty have not seen that much improvement out of him. I would be shocked if he ever becomes a quality regular in the NHL.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I have to admit I hadn't watched Skyler McKenzie's highlights until tonight. Right off the bat it's obvious that this kid has 2 major things going for him.
1) He has an NHL release. What a sniper.
2) He has a nose for the net and seems to find the open areas in front. He knows where to go to get open and knows what to do with the puck once it finds him.
It's hard to say with guys this small but he's pretty impressive.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Remember, he is 6'6.

And he was more productive in junior than Logan Stanley.
And the Flyers ranked him ahead of Monahan.
And he's always been pretty bad.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Haven't had the chance to follow Roslovic at all. Is he really that good and if so, then what are his strengths and weaknesses? If you could name a player he reminded you of, who would that be? Just curious since he's ranked ahead of Vesalainen, who's last year was a pancake but if the Jets hit the home run with the kid, that'd be the home run of home runs (considering where he was picked and the overall packet he brings to the table). Hard to see many bypassing the "boom" Kristian, but then again at the same time the possibility of a bust is strong within him. I might tune in to watch some SM Liga (FEL) for a change next season just to see how he fairs and since there are many other promising kids fighting for the roster spots. Otherwise, when not really caring who wins and who doesn't, I might not even bother that much.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Haven't had the chance to follow Roslovic at all. Is he really that good and if so, then what are his strengths and weaknesses? If you could name a player he reminded you of, who would that be? Just curious since he's ranked ahead of Vesalainen, who's last year was a pancake but if the Jets hit the home run with the kid, that'd be the home run of home runs (considering where he was picked and the overall packet he brings to the table). Hard to see many bypassing the "boom" Kristian, but then again at the same time the possibility of a bust is strong within him. I might tune in to watch some SM Liga (FEL) for a change next season just to see how he fairs and since there are many other promising kids fighting for the roster spots. Otherwise, when not really caring who wins and who doesn't, I might not even bother that much.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
This entire thread is BUNK!!!!!!!!!
Garbage assessment popularity contest!!!!

Clearly the only useful way to determine the top 20 ranking is by the "Flow Factor"

In which case

1. Appleton
2. DeLeo
3. Niku
4. Poolman

everyone else tied for 5th with what can only be described as "sub-Optimal-Flow.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
This entire thread is BUNK!!!!!!!!!
Garbage assessment popularity contest!!!!

Clearly the only useful way to determine the top 20 ranking is by the "Flow Factor"

In which case

1. Appleton
2. DeLeo
3. Niku
4. Poolman

everyone else tied for 5th with what can only be described as "sub-Optimal-Flow.

DeLeo 2nd and Lemieux not even on the list :shakehead watch the games pictures :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00