Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects 2017 - #7

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree with all of the above.

I actually like how the Jets D pipeline looks compared to last year.

Looking at the next 3-5 years...

RHD

Trouba #1
Buff #1/2
Myers #2/3
Poolman #3
Kovacevic #3?

LHD

Morrissey #1
Enstrom #2/3
Kulikov #2/3
Samberg #2/3
Niku #3
Stanley #3/4

(Edit: the numbers refer to pairing number... #2 = second pairing, etc.)

Honestly I don't mind the look of that as much anymore. We are missing high end prospects but our depth is starting to look better.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I believe Samberg will be in our top 4 one day and love his ceiling. That being said we are at that point now where its more fun due to the varied opinions.

I don't see Kovacevic that far behind Samberg. He's not getting any talk and he should be right there between the two as far as I'm concerned, both are nice prospects.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You are ignoring probabilities, as usual. ;)

Samberg may have a higher ceiling but he has a lower probability of reaching it, IMO. Or more properly stated, a less proven probability of reaching it. Estimation of Samberg's rating subject to major revision following a season in NCAA.

I hope that Harkins can become a better 3C than Lowry. Similar defensive impact with more 5v5 offense. If he achieves that he will be pretty impactful.

No, no im not ignoring probabilities. It's all in there...

I was saying that's the realistic ceiling for Harkins.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I don't see Kovacevic that far behind Samberg. He's not getting any talk and he should be right there between the two as far as I'm concerned, both are nice prospects.

At least we can evaluate Kovacevic play vs N.C.A.A Competition. WE should be talking about him more.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am a big fan of the Kovacevic pick and its pretty dam cool he went to Merrimack College in a really tough Hockey East division and all he did as a rookie was lead all D men in scoring on his team. I have no problems visualizing him in the NHL one day.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At least we can evaluate Kovacevic play vs N.C.A.A Competition. WE should be talking about him more.

That production in his draft year would have had him taken in the 1st round. In D+1 it would still be very good, probably get him taken mid 3rd. Oh wait ... In D+2, I'm not so impressed. Still, he was an NCAA rookie so it is pretty good but I am going to restrain my excitement over him until I see more. Just like I am with Samberg. Not knocking either one. Just waiting for more.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I am a big fan of the Kovacevic pick and its pretty dam cool he went to Merrimack College in a really tough Hockey East division and all he did as a rookie was lead all D men in scoring on his team. I have no problems visualizing him in the NHL one day.

The big difference for me is that Kovacevic doesn't showcase much pop or explosion from what I've seen. Simple and steady is good, but he doesn't appear to have any elite attributes that could carry him up a depth chart.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The big difference for me is that Kovacevic doesn't showcase much pop or explosion from what I've seen. Simple and steady is good, but he doesn't appear to have any elite attributes that could carry him up a depth chart.

Aye.

Kovacevic is very much like Poolman in my opinion. Not the same, but there are some similarities. It makes him really good, and safe. Poolman is just safer as he's further along in his developmental path.

Samberg has that extra edge of upside, which is why he hops over Niku and Poolman while Kovacevic is just afterward.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
That production in his draft year would have had him taken in the 1st round. In D+1 it would still be very good, probably get him taken mid 3rd. Oh wait ... In D+2, I'm not so impressed. Still, he was an NCAA rookie so it is pretty good but I am going to restrain my excitement over him until I see more. Just like I am with Samberg. Not knocking either one. Just waiting for more.

Just looking at first rounders from last year that went to the NCAA. Cholowski is only 8 months younger and he put up lesser numbers than Kovacevic. Fabbro's numbers were similar for point production but better for goal scoring and they are one year apart. Getting him in the third round seems more than reasonable based off of production and the fact he is coming off his rookie season. He also has the look of a player who could be pro ready very soon which is something we could use to further shore up our depth.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
seems some shenanigans are afoot.

big blocks of voting for certain players going on in the evenings? stanley out of nowhere in the last few hours.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Tough one, but I voted Spacek, whom I believe has middle 6 upside.
I like Harkins too, but he is more bottom 6 upside.
And I liked the Samberg pick as well, but he is quite unproven and I sense a recency bias. Reminds me of the Jack Glover excitement...what ever happened to him?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Tough one, but I voted Spacek, whom I believe has middle 6 upside.
I like Harkins too, but he is more bottom 6 upside.
And I liked the Samberg pick as well, but he is quite unproven and I sense a recency bias. Reminds me of the Jack Glover excitement...what ever happened to him?

Glover never had the offensive upside or puck moving abilities of Samberg though.

To answer what happened to him, double shoulder surgery (same procedure that Poolman just went through) and he's never been the same since. That said, Glover was always more of a shutdown guy that could skate, with a first pass. Not the same hockey sense or offensive abilities of Samberg.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Okay, Garrett. You officially make me more excited for Samberg. Here's hoping he pans out.

Honestly, I have no problems with our scouts mining lesser-known leagues for talent. We're always talking about market inefficiencies and how to best exploit them, especially in relation to defensemen and goaltenders. Something tells me teams focus a lot more on the CHL and European Pro leagues than they do the AJHL, BCHL, and US Hockey systems. Exploit the **** out of these systems, Jets scouts. Talent is talent, regardless of where it comes from.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
You just wait. I'm gonna go to bed again, and Stanley will come from behind and win.

There's been (solid) arguments for every top voted player in these threads so far, but no one has made their case for Stanley.

I'll wait.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There's been (solid) arguments for every top voted player in these threads so far, but no one has made their case for Stanley.

I'll wait.

I'll give you the argument for Stanley- He's a 1st round pick

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Went with Spacek, though I have some long-standing love for Hawkins. Think he'll be a great bottom 6 C, or a very good middle 6. Spacek, though. I think he's probably up there with Connor and Roslovic.
Add Appleton.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
You just wait. I'm gonna go to bed again, and Stanley will come from behind and win.

Let me translate this from Romang into English.

*clears throat*

"I am going to stand by my phone and wait for the call from Logan Stanley's father that the cheque had cleared."

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Voted Harkins again

but honestly I don't care much about it anymore. After the top 5 it doesn't really matter who's 6th, 7th, 8th or 10th honestly. It's so close and interchangable between the players - as demonstrated by votes since the top 5 is through. All of the following players have similar chances of making it to the NHL more or less.

It would actually make more sense to form 3 different groups:

- Very likely to make it as a regular
#1 Kyle Connor
#2 Jack Roslovic
#3 Kristian Vesalainen

- Very good chances of seeing NHL ice

#4 Sami Niku
#5 Tucker Poolman

- Realistic chances but 50-50 AT BEST

everyone else pretty much

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Harkins is going to end up 1 vote short again.

Under appreciation award goes to Harkins. Just as well as I will have the I told you so thing going on in my back pocket ( just like I did in 2014 with trying to get Copp in our top ten).

Harkins will have a good season in the A this year and will not have that trouble some of other prospects have adjusting to a pro game.

I do not need a graph or percentages to tell me different. I will just wait and see it for my self.

I.M.O.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I like Harkins - it'll be a tough call for me to pick between Harkins and Samberg on the next vote.

But I voted for Spacek, as I think I see the potential for more than a 3rd line player in him in future. Also IMO. After the top three, I think all these guys will have to really push to make the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad