Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects 2017 - #7

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The Vote was bought and paid for by his dad. His dad ( billionaire) used undue pressure on Hf Jet board moderators as well as bought the last few deciding votes.

I am keeping Commrie at 10-12 on my Jet prospect list.

giphy.gif

I'm sure I don't know what you mean.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Harkins and Spacek both led their teams in scoring by a decent margin, except Spacek was 1.44 pts/gm vs Harkins' 1.13. When you factor in Spacek's plus skating and Harkins' below average skating then the space cadet looks like the clear winner to me.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Garret's List + Garret's PCS%

1 Connor 67.4% ...voted 1st
2 Roslovic 58.0% ...voted 2nd
3 Vesalainen 55.6% ...voted 3rd
4 Samberg 8.9%
5 Niku 20.0% ...voted 4th
6 Poolman 20.0% ...voted 5th
7 Spacek 21.0%
8 Kovacevic 20.2%
9 Comrie NA ...voted 6th
10 Lemieux 22.3%
11 Foley 18.6%
12 Virtanen 17.7%
13 Gawanke 16.5%
14 DeLeo 21.1%
15 Appleton 14.4%
16 Harkins 12.3%
17 Green 10.3%
18 Stanley 8.3%
19 Berdin NA
20 Nogier 22.1%
21 McKenzie 13.1%
22 Evingson NA
23 Lipon 12.9%
24 Lodge 13.5%
25 Franklin 2.7%
26 Cederholm 7.7%
27 Kraskovsky 7.4%
28 Stallard 10.0%
29 Glover 2.0%

Still voting for Samberg.

Samberg played in the USHS, which doesn't model well for my system. The USHS is actually multiple different leagues and tiers, but the system treats it all as one, which causes cohorts to be all over the place. He is a player going to the NCAA next year that should post an excellent %s when he does.

He has great tools. He has size, skates well, and puck skills. The biggest thing to me is his hockey mind in being able to anticipate the play. This is what separates him from "size and can skate" like a Cederholm, Nogier, or Stanley. This allows him to retrieve pucks more efficiently, move them out, and join the rush to add offense. He has instincts giving him a far higher upside than any of our defensive prospects.

The one deficiency is that he is hella raw, from playing predominately in the USHS system. I suspect his freshman season should be decent but he'll really explode in his sophomore year.

He also has one hell of a shot. I see Samberg as being the best non-blue chip defender we've ever had at this age. He's no Morrissey or Trouba, but he's the next best thing. A tier in upside above Niku or Poolman. Younger, so his floor is lower too but that upside.

I'm voting for a potential #3 defender before I go for potential 3rd liners like Spacek or Harkins.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Harkins and Spacek both led their teams in scoring by a decent margin, except Spacek was 1.44 pts/gm vs Harkins' 1.13. When you factor in Spacek's plus skating and Harkins' below average skating then the space cadet looks like the clear winner to me.

Yeah Harkins has the better two-way game but Spacek is the better skater, stickhandler and passer.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

4 Samberg 8.9%
7 Spacek 21.0%
8 Kovacevic 20.2%
9 Comrie NA ...voted 6th
10 Lemieux 22.3%
11 Foley 18.6%
12 Virtanen 17.7%
13 Gawanke 16.5%
14 DeLeo 21.1%
15 Appleton 14.4%
16 Harkins 12.3%
17 Green 10.3%
18 Stanley 8.3%
19 Berdin NA
20 Nogier 22.1%
21 McKenzie 13.1%
22 Evingson NA
23 Lipon 12.9%
24 Lodge 13.5%
25 Franklin 2.7%
26 Cederholm 7.7%
27 Kraskovsky 7.4%
28 Stallard 10.0%
29 Glover 2.0%

Samberg played in the USHS, which doesn't model well for my system. The USHS is actually multiple different leagues and tiers, but the system treats it all as one, which causes cohorts to be all over the place. He is a player going to the NCAA next year that should post an excellent %s when he does.

He has great tools. He has size, skates well, and puck skills. The biggest thing to me is his hockey mind in being able to anticipate the play. This is what separates him from "size and can skate" like a Cederholm, Nogier, or Stanley. This allows him to retrieve pucks more efficiently, move them out, and join the rush to add offense. He has instincts giving him a far higher upside than any of our defensive prospects.

The one deficiency is that he is hella raw, from playing predominately in the USHS system. I suspect his freshman season should be decent but he'll really explode in his sophomore year.

He also has one hell of a shot. I see Samberg as being the best non-blue chip defender we've ever had at this age. He's no Morrissey or Trouba, but he's the next best thing. A tier in upside above Niku or Poolman. Younger, so his floor is lower too but that upside.

I'm voting for a potential #3 defender before I go for potential 3rd liners like Spacek or Harkins.

I think what it comes down to with Samberg for most on here is he is an unknown. Very few have seen him play and those that have are still cautious due to level of competition.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It's funny, cause I have Samberg over Poolman, Comrie, and Spacek. I just like Harkins.:laugh:

I just don't see much possibility for Harkins to be anything more than what we already get with Lowry or Copp.

He may be a bit different than them, but the overall impact as a realistic best case scenario is not much different.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I just don't see much possibility for Harkins to be anything more than what we already get with Lowry or Copp.

He may be a bit different than them, but the overall impact as a realistic best case scenario is not much different.

I'll be very happy if he develops that far.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Harkins was rated by most as a mid 1 st round selection in a very strong 2015 draft. His 2 way game is praised highly. I SEE Harkins as very similar to Copp. The Jets have tried Copp in a top 6 role to try and find his offensive gamw at the NHL level.

If Harkins can be Copp ++ ...... we should all be happy with the result.

EDIT....OH ya ....Harkins got robbed in prospect #6 vote....

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Harkins was rated by most as a mid 1 st round selection in a very strong 2015 draft. His 2 way game is praised highly. I SEE Harkins as very similar to Copp. The Jets have tried Copp in a top 6 role to try and find his offensive gamw at the NHL level.

If Harkins can be Copp ++ ...... we should all be happy with the result.

He was ranked by most as a late 1st round selection by third party draft sites, but fell to 2nd round by actual NHL teams.*
And it should be noted that late first rounds to early second rounders are misses, let alone more likely to be bottom-six than top-six.

They tried Copp in top-six role because they had injuries a plenty.

I just don't see Harkins upside being anything special enough to put him above Samberg. A #3 defender has a much greater impact on the game than a 3rd line forward. That's both of their realistic upsides.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I believe Samberg will be in our top 4 one day and love his ceiling. That being said we are at that point now where its more fun due to the varied opinions.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
He was ranked by most as a late 1st round selection by third party draft sites, but fell to 2nd round by actual NHL teams.*
And it should be noted that late first rounds to early second rounders are misses, let alone more likely to be bottom-six than top-six.

I just don't see Harkins upside being anything special enough to put him above Samberg. A #3 defender has a much greater impact on the game than a 3rd line forward. That's both of their realistic upsides.

By number three defender you mean Stanley :popcorn:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

4 Samberg 8.9%
7 Spacek 21.0%
8 Kovacevic 20.2%
9 Comrie NA ...voted 6th
10 Lemieux 22.3%
11 Foley 18.6%
12 Virtanen 17.7%
13 Gawanke 16.5%
14 DeLeo 21.1%
15 Appleton 14.4%
16 Harkins 12.3%
17 Green 10.3%
18 Stanley 8.3%
19 Berdin NA
20 Nogier 22.1%
21 McKenzie 13.1%
22 Evingson NA
23 Lipon 12.9%
24 Lodge 13.5%
25 Franklin 2.7%
26 Cederholm 7.7%
27 Kraskovsky 7.4%
28 Stallard 10.0%
29 Glover 2.0%

Agree with all your reasoning and again voted Samberg.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

Surprise - Surprise-surprise..... we have differing opinions on Harkins. Time will tell.

I have high hopes for Samberg as well but a more cautious wait and see attitude. A lot of people had a recency bias a few years ago regarding Glover ( Glover lovers ).

I am going to say the same thing now as I did then when people on these boards talked him up to go ahead of Copp.

"HE only got drafted by us 1 month ago and has not played against quality com7petition. Copp (Harkins A.H.L) have been playing against men. LET'S wait and see how he handles college b4 gifting him a top 10 Jet prospect ranking. If he does well we can increase his ranking next year.

Let's hope he turns into Paryko (St Louis) ...... let's not gift to him just due our desire to have a blue chip fed. Prospect.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

4 Samberg 8.9%
7 Spacek 21.0%
8 Kovacevic 20.2%
9 Comrie NA ...voted 6th
10 Lemieux 22.3%
11 Foley 18.6%
12 Virtanen 17.7%
13 Gawanke 16.5%
14 DeLeo 21.1%
15 Appleton 14.4%
16 Harkins 12.3%
17 Green 10.3%
18 Stanley 8.3%
19 Berdin NA
20 Nogier 22.1%
21 McKenzie 13.1%
22 Evingson NA
23 Lipon 12.9%
24 Lodge 13.5%
25 Franklin 2.7%
26 Cederholm 7.7%
27 Kraskovsky 7.4%
28 Stallard 10.0%
29 Glover 2.0%

Do you have a hockey website? I would love to read further on how you reached your consensus on the Jets draft picks.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Do you have a hockey website? I would love to read further on how you reached your consensus on the Jets draft picks.

I used to run JetsNations.ca, but no longer.
I used to run Hockey-Graphs.com, but now am just a board member.
I run HockeyData.com, but we are a paid service that works for teams, agents, and players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

4 Samberg 8.9%
7 Spacek 21.0%
8 Kovacevic 20.2%
9 Comrie NA ...voted 6th
10 Lemieux 22.3%
11 Foley 18.6%
12 Virtanen 17.7%
13 Gawanke 16.5%
14 DeLeo 21.1%
15 Appleton 14.4%
16 Harkins 12.3%
17 Green 10.3%
18 Stanley 8.3%
19 Berdin NA
20 Nogier 22.1%
21 McKenzie 13.1%
22 Evingson NA
23 Lipon 12.9%
24 Lodge 13.5%
25 Franklin 2.7%
26 Cederholm 7.7%
27 Kraskovsky 7.4%
28 Stallard 10.0%
29 Glover 2.0%

Agree with all of the above.

I actually like how the Jets D pipeline looks compared to last year.

Looking at the next 3-5 years...

RHD

Trouba #1
Buff #1/2
Myers #2/3
Poolman #3
Kovacevic #3?

LHD

Morrissey #1
Enstrom #2/3
Kulikov #2/3
Samberg #2/3
Niku #3
Stanley #3/4

(Edit: the numbers refer to pairing number... #2 = second pairing, etc.)

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You are ignoring probabilities, as usual. ;)

Samberg may have a higher ceiling but he has a lower probability of reaching it, IMO. Or more properly stated, a less proven probability of reaching it. Estimation of Samberg's rating subject to major revision following a season in NCAA.

I hope that Harkins can become a better 3C than Lowry. Similar defensive impact with more 5v5 offense. If he achieves that he will be pretty impactful.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Samberg has committed to UMD for fall 2018, correct? I'm going off Elite Prospects, where he's listed with Waterloo (USHL) for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad