Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects 2017 - #7

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
A bit early at this point but I will be pushing for Foley soon as well.

Nothing would make me more happy to see Samberg rise the ranks of our prospect poll after having a good rookie season in the N.C.A.A. I have a lot more optimism for him as a future player than Stanley.

I am also intrigued by Virtanen (but is way early for him, due to his shortened season).

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Samberg has committed to UMD for fall 2018, correct? I'm going off Elite Prospects, where he's listed with Waterloo (USHL) for next season.

I think everyone here missed that you were talking about 2018, not 2017, unless I'm totally out to lunch. His EP page does say 2018-19 but just links to a tweet with no info.

Samberg verbally committed to the Bulldogs last June, just before teeing off at the state golf tournament in Jordan. At the time, Samberg planned to spend all of the 2016-17 school year in Hermantown playing hockey and golf. He'd then join Waterloo of the United States Hockey League in 2017-18 and play one or two years of juniors before making the jump to college.

But starting in October, Samberg started popping up on 2017 draft lists, initially as a North American skater to watch in the fourth through sixth rounds by NHL Central Scouting Service, then up to No. 43 among North American skaters in the mid-term rankings before settling at No. 67 in the final CSS rankings.

Samberg signing a national letter of intent to play for the Bulldogs beginning in 2017-18 also was an unexpected twist. Samberg and Bulldogs coach Scott Sandelin expected the young defenseman to play at least one more year in Waterloo before returning to the Northland. But fellow Hermantown native and defenseman Neal Pionk decided to leave UMD after his sophomore year and sign with the New York Rangers.

http://www.westfargopioneer.com/sports/4287718-umd-freshman-be-samberg-moving-nhl-draft-board

So he started off making a verbal commitment for 2018 following a season in Waterloo, but moved it up a year when he signed the national letter of intent.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think everyone here missed that you were talking about 2018, not 2017, unless I'm totally out to lunch. His EP page does say 2018-19 but just links to a tweet with no info.

http://www.westfargopioneer.com/sports/4287718-umd-freshman-be-samberg-moving-nhl-draft-board

So he started off making a verbal commitment for 2018 following a season in Waterloo, but moved it up a year when he signed the national letter of intent.

Looks like he is a golfer as well so he is going to have to challenge Wheeler to a game.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

If I remember correctly, he was going to start college in 2018, but moved it up a year because some players aged out/turned pro, allowing him to have increased playing time on the team. I mean, if you're worried about your development first and foremost, you not going to join a division 1 team just to play third pairing minutes.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Yep, I was confused because EP is usually pretty accurate, and they had Samberg playing with UMD beginning in 2018-19. Thanks for linking that article.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Yep, I was confused because EP is usually pretty accurate, and they had Samberg playing with UMD beginning in 2018-19. Thanks for linking that article.

EP has a submit transfer/rumor button, which I just used. Now they're accurate again. :nod:

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
I like Harkins - it'll be a tough call for me to pick between Harkins and Samberg on the next vote.

But I voted for Spacek, as I think I see the potential for more than a 3rd line player in him in future. Also IMO. After the top three, I think all these guys will have to really push to make the NHL.

I'm fine with that, as it is so not about that for me.
For me it's about creating capable callup depth on the farm team. Gone are the days of trotting out the likes of a John Albert, Aaron Gagnon, or Julien Brouillette. If these guys can push out the 'quality' of a Kosmachuk type, then the Jets are that much better off when crunched for spot duty callups.

Edit: And it ends in a tie!!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think in the case of a tie, the mods should disqualify all of their votes so that the voices of the common man (and woman) can be heard. That would give the win to Harkins. :nod:

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
I think in the case of a tie, the mods should disqualify all of their votes so that the voices of the common man (and woman) can be heard. That would give the win to Harkins. :nod:

Maybe just tally up all the votes the tied players have received through all the polls so far? Most votes up to this point wins the spot! :dunno:

Edit: nvmd :pout: . Tiebreaker poll is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad