Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects 2017 - #3

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Goalies are voodoo....... and he already has 14 votes in the #3 prospect poll. (always going to have goalie lovers in the bunch) I would think that the majority of the 47 voters at this time picking Vesalaine are going to be smart enough to pick one of the better skater prospects and Comrie will fall to after #6 top prospect.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I find it interesting that the guy who has proven the most as a pro (De Leo) hasn't received a single vote.

Not that I believe there's any case for him at #3, just saying.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Voted Vesalainen because of shiny new toy syndrome, and his ceiling should be much higher than anybody else listed there, with the exception of Spacek.

I find it interesting that the guy who has proven the most as a pro (De Leo) hasn't received a single vote.

Not that I believe there's any case for him at #3, just saying.

DeLeo isn't the sexy pick right now. I believe he's top 10 in the organization, but he won't receive a vote until Niku, Spacek, and Vesalainen are out of the way.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Voted Vesalainen because of shiny new toy syndrome, and his ceiling should be much higher than anybody else listed there, with the exception of Spacek.

DeLeo isn't the sexy pick right now. I believe he's top 10 in the organization, but he won't receive a vote until Niku, Spacek, and Vesalainen are out of the way.

I love De Leo's game but he doesn't scream top 6 upside to me. More like a bottom 6 depth scorer/two way player. I agree that Spacek has similar upside to Vesalainen.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Voted for harkins! I think the guy needs one more year maaaaybe 2. Ugh though have to admit didn't consider vesalainen....

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Poolman seems like a safe bet. Vasaline has higher upside but less certainty.

this.
i'd split my vote between Poolman and Comrie.
no idea how anyone can vote for Ves. he's at least 2 years away. Poolman's arguably the first injury recall

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
this.
no idea how anyone can vote for Ves. he's at least 2 years away. Poolman's arguably the first injury recall

Screen_Shot_2017-07-05_at_12.25.41_PM.png

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
this.

Just because he's the first injury recall doesn't mean he's the better prospect overall

He is 6 years older than Vesalainen. Imagine where Vesa might be in 6 years?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
safe.png

Just a quick drawing and very much over emphasized, but this shows three players:

1) A safe NHL bet (red)
2) A more unknown player with high upside but risk of being worse than red (blue)
3) A more unknown player with high upside but risk of being worse than red (green)

The difference between blue and green is that blue has a high chance of hitting upside, while green has a low chance of hitting that ceiling.

So, I see Vesalainen being more along the lines of that blue curve, and Poolman more like the red curve. Vesalainen could end up worse, and he's both a more unknown factor and not ready for the NHL.
That said, I view Poolman better than Luke Green, who I have as having a higher upside than Poolman but the risk of him not being better is large enough that he'd be more like the green curve (totally coincidental until I just typed out this hahah).

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
safe.png

Just a quick drawing and very much over emphasized, but this shows three players:

1) A safe NHL bet (red)
2) A more unknown player with high upside but risk of being worse than red (blue)
3) A more unknown player with high upside but risk of being worse than red (green)

The difference between blue and green is that blue has a high chance of hitting upside, while green has a low chance of hitting that ceiling.

So, I see Vesalainen, I view him more of along the lines of that blue curve, and Poolman more like the red curve. Vesalainen could end up worse, and he's both a more unknown factor and not ready for the NHL.
That said, I view Poolman better than Luke Green, who I have as having a higher upside than Poolman but the risk of him not being better is large enough that he'd be more like the green curve (totally coincidental until I just typed out this hahah).

Not sure I agree with the shape of those curves. I think a lot of those with higher "elite" potential also have a higher probability of being an "average" NHLer than many of those with only "average" ceilings.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The fun will really start when we start comparing D prospects like Green and Stanley...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Whileee, there's being pedantic, and then there is ignoring the disclaimer...

Pedantic? Moi? :laugh:

But do you agree that a lot of those with "elite" potential also have higher probability of an "average" outcome? I don't think it's strictly "pedantic" when we are sorting through prospects. For me, Vesalainen doesn't have a reduced probability of an "average" NHL outcome because he has some "elite" potential. I'm not convinced with the "boom or bust" notion with prospects. It's an interesting topic.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Pedantic? Moi? :laugh:

But do you agree that a lot of those with "elite" potential also have higher probability of an "average" outcome? I don't think it's strictly "pedantic" when we are sorting through prospects. For me, Vesalainen doesn't have a reduced probability of an "average" NHL outcome because he has some "elite" potential. I'm not convinced with the "boom or bust" notion with prospects. It's an interesting topic.

We weren't talking about the graphic being examples of specific outcomes.

We were using a graphic as an exaggerated visualization showing how a player can have higher upside, but could still a lower or higher average expected outcomes. And nothing else.

I made it on a paint program in under 30s on a laptop touch pad while talking on the phone to a player agent... of course it isn't going to be remotely accurate haha. I mean, the curves have different volumes underneath!

As an aside: Boom or bust though would be something different, where you'd see two apexes to the curves, no?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
We weren't talking about the graphic being examples of specific outcomes.

We were using a graphic as an exaggerated visualization showing how a player can have higher upside, but could still a lower or higher average expected outcomes. And nothing else.

I made it on a paint program in under 30s on a laptop touch pad while talking on the phone to a player agent... of course it isn't going to be remotely accurate haha. I mean, the curves have different volumes underneath!

As an aside: Boom or bust though would be something different, where you'd see two apexes to the curves, no?

Totally off topic but in any of your models have you actually found boom or bust guys?

After 3 years of drafts our obviously inferior model did finally start identifying guys with lower probabilities of success but with high avg production for those that did make it in this last draft (can't remember but I think Yamamoto was one).

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay

In my mind, I had DeLeo slotted below Kosmachuk and that ship has sailed. I'm not sure where DeLeo slots for me now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad