Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects 2015 - #9

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
- Marty Williamson on Burmistrov being a great student to coach (there's more of these with Williamson extolling Burmistrov's character)

You can find quotes for any guy.

Could be true. Could not be. Both can be true. Good people sometimes have conflicts. You never know.

This is why I ignore rumors and reports on character. I don't like to pretend I know more than I do. Things are rarely black and white.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Reading this thread:
Lemieux is either a future C and perennial Messier winner,
or,
Lemieux is a cancer which will destroy our locker room like no Kane was able to before.

Ok.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
This is why I ignore rumors and reports on character. I don't like to pretend I know more than I do. Things are rarely black and white.

Reading this thread:
Lemieux is either a future C and perennial Messier winner,
or,
Lemieux is a cancer which will destroy our locker room like no Kane was able to before.

Ok.

Yup.

I don't take much of others thoughts on character.

Not that I think character doesn't matter, because it does. It's that I don't trust assessment of character unless I'm able to assess it for myself. Since I can't, I just stay agnostic to it.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yup.

I don't take much of others thoughts on character.

Not that I think character doesn't matter, because it does. It's that I don't trust assessment of character unless I'm able to assess it for myself. Since I can't, I just stay agnostic to it.
I think that is a prudent stance, both for qualitative and quantitative assessments. If you don't understand it, don't comment on it.
There is a large body of literature on personality types--character, as you call it--that is research-based, even though it is not traditional science. The world's biggest companies use personality tests and psychologists to assess compatibility and 'winning' personality subtypes within teams. And hockey is big business.
Social media has given us a new window into the behaviour of professional athletes so that some of us who are conversant in the field feel we have enough behavioural 'data points' to be more than agnostic to it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that is a prudent stance, both for qualitative and quantitative assessments. If you don't understand it, don't comment on it.
There is a large body of literature on personality types--character, as you call it--that is research-based, even though it is not traditional science. The world's biggest companies use personality tests and psychologists to assess compatibility and 'winning' personality subtypes within teams. And hockey is big business.
Social media has given us a new window into the behaviour of professional athletes so that some of us who are conversant in the field feel we have enough behavioural 'data points' to be more than agnostic to it.

Yup. I've commented a few times in different threads that we ignore human psychology way too often when we are discussing players and coaches. Not only to large organizations use personality tests to identify personalty sub-types, top level executives also work with leadership consultants/coaches to help them identify their own personality traits and the personality traits of others to help maximize their working relationship with their direct reports (middle managers/supervisors).

I have no doubt that at least some NHL/and other level coaches work with leadership consultants/coaches in the same way to help maximize the play of their teams and individual players, and this is most important with the youngest players that have yet to establish themselves. IMO one of Maurice's strongest qualities is how he pulls all the right string with his players. He is the "Alpha dog" and a very strong leader, but at the same time has developed unique relationships with each of his players helping to maximize their play based on the personalities of each player.

First and foremost hockey teams are a collection of human beings, made up of very strong personalities in an extremely stressful environment where you can be promoted or demoted based on a single poor performance. And while someone else's success may benefit the team it my mean your personal failure. Managing young kids coming into this environment is not an easy thing to do. Some will thrive, some won't.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yup. I've commented a few times in different threads that we ignore human psychology way too often when we are discussing players and coaches. Not only to large organizations use personality tests to identify personalty sub-types, top level executives also work with leadership consultants/coaches to help them identify their own personality traits and the personality traits of others to help maximize their working relationship with their direct reports (middle managers/supervisors).

I have no doubt that at least some NHL/and other level coaches work with leadership consultants/coaches in the same way to help maximize the play of their teams and individual players, and this is most important with the youngest players that have yet to establish themselves. IMO one of Maurice's strongest qualities is how he pulls all the right string with his players. He is the "Alpha dog" and a very strong leader, but at the same time has developed unique relationships with each of his players helping to maximize their play based on the personalities of each player.

First and foremost hockey teams are a collection of human beings, made up of very strong personalities in an extremely stressful environment where you can be promoted or demoted based on a single poor performance. And while someone else's success may benefit the team it my mean your personal failure. Managing young kids coming into this environment is not an easy thing to do. Some will thrive, some won't.
I don't ignore personality types. I place immense value on character - particularly when it comes to players you know will always work and strive to be better. That said, I don't buy into most character talk because I generally don't trust the sources.

It is one thing to base opinions on firm comments or actions, but reading into grey matter and pretending I understand why people do things is a whole different ball game.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't ignore personality types. I place immense value on character - particularly when it comes to players you know will always work and strive to be better. That said, I don't buy into most character talk because I generally don't trust the sources.

It is one thing to base opinions on firm comments or actions, but reading into grey matter and pretending I understand why people do things is a whole different ball game.

Exactly.

Also, as an aside, I think team's are even worse in exploiting this area than they even are at effectively using statistics.

I have a friend I trust a lot in this area and he was extremely mortified when he saw the questions that team's tend to ask at combine, interviews, etc. It's very much gutalytics going by how the scouts/gms "feel".

It's definitely an area where teams can use research to their advantage in picking better.

It makes sense though that these people are not good at the sciences or even social sciences. Most of them are former players who went through life with very little formal education, and the ones that did were not in these areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad