Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospect 2016 - #19

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
At least 3 of Phillips, Berdin, Tanev, Lipon and Kostalek won't make our top 20. I think that really shows that the Jets have probably the deepest prospect pool in the league.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Yet posters on a hockey forum are the best judge of talent, always make the right calls?:laugh:

I put much much much more faith into the notion that Maurice and McCambridge rewarded the players that performed the best, last season when deciding who to call up, than the silly notion it was based on outside factors Both players have similar contracts, both are trying to fight their way up the ranks.

Even more faith is put into the notion that Maurice and McCambridge are much more in tune with the team, who is playing well, who deserves to be called up, than the opinion of a poster on a forum.

You can call that my opinion, but I think its more just common sense.

As well, Melchiore played very well in the 11 games at the NHL level. So there is that as well, actual on ice performance at the NHL level that verifies he was the right choice to be called up.

And while a Kostalek vs Melchiore is a debate that I really could care less about, the real debate is who is the better prospect, Kostalek or Lipon?

Lipon has shown he has the capability of playing a solid 4rth line checking role at the NHL level. Jan has not shown enough to even slot him in at the 7 spot for an NHL team, yet.

And after watching him at the development camp, I feel less encouraged by what I saw from Jan. I was a big fan of him after his last season in the OHL. He was a bit of a late bloomer, so I still have hope for him, but he has to make some major improvements next season if he plans on ever getting called up to the Jets.

Kostalek never played a single game in the OHL, which makes me question how much you actually know about him as a prospect. Just saying.

I know a lot of people feel like he took a step back last season, I don't really see it that way. He was never going to be a producer as a pro. The biggest struggle he seemed to have was dealing with the forecheck; you could tell he was used to lugging the puck out of trouble in junior, because he initially had quite a bit of trouble making clean first passes and smart reverses. He seemed to pick up the pro breakout as he went along last season, and I'm hoping he'll be even better this coming season.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
It was Kostaleks' first season in the AHL, with a team that struggled hard. Going from the Q to the AHL is still a jump, and most of his teammates weren't shining examples of leadership last year. With a season under his belt, I think you'll see a much improved blueliner, especially with a couple fresh faces on the team.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yet posters on a hockey forum are the best judge of talent, always make the right calls?:laugh:

You've said something of the sort multiple times here, but I want t o point out there is a lot of talent in these forums.

One of the Jets' scouts got his start posting at HFBoards.

I consulted/worked for 3 different teams last year in an official capacity and have worked for members/workers for teams in a non-official capacity.

Don't underestimate the knowledge of some people here.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
You've said something of the sort multiple times here, but I want t o point out there is a lot of talent in these forums.

One of the Jets' scouts got his start posting at HFBoards.

I consulted/worked for 3 different teams last year in an official capacity and have worked for members/workers for teams in a non-official capacity.

Don't underestimate the knowledge of some people here.

That remark was made towards the comment that management makes wrong decisions, not as a shot at the knowledge that exists on this board.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Kostalek never played a single game in the OHL, which makes me question how much you actually know about him as a prospect. Just saying.

I know a lot of people feel like he took a step back last season, I don't really see it that way. He was never going to be a producer as a pro. The biggest struggle he seemed to have was dealing with the forecheck; you could tell he was used to lugging the puck out of trouble in junior, because he initially had quite a bit of trouble making clean first passes and smart reverses. He seemed to pick up the pro breakout as he went along last season, and I'm hoping he'll be even better this coming season.

I was big on Jan, especially after getting dman of the year award in the Q (oops I know he where he played)

He had a slow start in the Q, but made solid improvements in yr3, so I still have hope for him that his game takes a bit longer to kick in.

This argument was never about me not liking Jan, it was over the comment that he was the Moose's 2nd best D man last year, which I dont believe he was.

But with that said, he didn't raise his stock, in my eyes, after development camp, he did not look great throughout, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad