Winnipeg Jets - the more things change, the more they stay the same?

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
I gotta laugh because during the offseason Jets fans were insulted when people dared to point out their goaltending was a dubious. They said Hellebuyck (28 career NHL games) and Hutchison (73 career games) would be more than adequate, they predicted a playoff appearance. Shoulda gone out and picked up a vet like Montoya.

If you have your heir apparent goalie of the future why rush things when the window isn't open yet?

Jets have 3 of their top 6 forwards under 23 (Laine, Ehlers, Schiefle) as well as 2 of their top 4 D (Morissey and Trouba)

By the time Hellebuyck hits his groove, everyone will be in their prime. Why rush it this season and push to the playoffs where you know you don't have the ammo to compete. Continue to develop your guys, and pick up another piece (hopefully in the 10-15 range rather than top 5). If they catch fire and squeeze into the playoffs great! If not they are young.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I gotta laugh because during the offseason Jets fans were insulted when people dared to point out their goaltending was a dubious. They said Hellebuyck (28 career NHL games) and Hutchison (73 career games) would be more than adequate, they predicted a playoff appearance. Shoulda gone out and picked up a vet like Montoya.

2012 just called...

Nov 24, 2006

This is far too general a characterization of reality. Maybe some did, but most were realistic of the growing pains expected with an unknown yet highly thought of Hellebuyck and a decent Hutchinson. Almost all agreed though that Pavelec's time as #1 was up.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Their easily biggest issue is not having a high end defensive defenseman, and on top of that Little got injured in the 1st game.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I for one couldn't give a **** what the Leafs do even if #99 came out of retirement and started to play for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I for one couldn't give a **** what the Leafs do even if #99 dame out of retirement and started to play for them.

lol i feel the same

doesnt change the fact when winnipeg comes to toronto this game amped up the intensity at least 50%

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
We are a team who has long had our troubles taking the next step. We've went from an awful team who couldn't get it together under Noel, no organization depth in the form of prospects or NHL players (supporting cast). We were essentially a one line team of Ladd - Little - Wheeler / Enstrom - Byfuglien with awful goaltending (Pavelec). We eventually built some NHL roster depth coupled with some youth (Scheifele, Trouba) and evolved to a team that seemed to find their groove, footing and identity under Maurice (big, heavy, fast, strong possession, etc). Made the playoffs on that identity but we failed and bowed out early. It appears after that playoff appearance management shifted the gears as it didn't appear that group or mold would be what brought the organization consistent, long-term success. The switch seemed to be flipped for the 2015-16 season as more youth was introduced. We struggled mightily last season, took our punches and were rewarded with a lottery pick (Laine). Which in return appears like it's going to be a game changer for this organization.

Vets Wheeler, Little, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Perreault, Myers coupled with youth in Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Armia, and a prospect system still consisting of Petan, Dano, Roslovic, Lemieux, Comrie, Copp, De Leo, Stanley, etc.. are what this group will ride or die on in the coming years. And Chevy making the right roster moves when needed to compliment this group, fill gaps, and help lift them to the next level when they prove worthy. Chevy hasn't been perfect in his role as GM to this point, he's made his mistakes and he's called some good shots and made some nice moves. Name me a perfect GM who utilizes a "plan" from start to finish with perfection, it isn't easy to do. Even Dean Lombardi had his critics in LA before it all came together. No plan is the perfect plan until you hoist Lord Stanley, then it all feels worth it and makes sense.

All of that being said, as poor as last years team was, this years team in comparison is minus Ladd (We got Stanley + Dano in return, both not on the NHL roster), Little (Injured), Trouba (Holding out). Those are all top line, reliable players who played big key roles. You take last years team, subtract Ladd, Little, Trouba and you essentially replace them with Laine (Ladd), Morrissey (Trouba) and nobody for Little given the circumstances (injured in game 1, our indefinitely). We're going to take our fair share of punches here this season until younger players grow into some pretty heavy and demanding roles (and Little returns).

What I am envisioning this year is a young team who will struggle through the first half of the season. Ups, downs, blown leads, dramatic comebacks, good nights, bad nights. There will be frustrating nights but there will also be some really, really exciting nights. I never turn the tv off no matter the score this year because these young kids are just too much fun to watch, in my opinion. I want to see our team systems and special teams become competent and improve (very soon, a lot of it is coaching), and I want to see the young players on this team become more comfortable and adjusted in their new roles as NHL'ers, as well as our vets lead and be contributing players leading the pack. Then, ideally, in the second half of this season we go on a run and things begin clicking and coming together nicely (wishful thinking, I know) but I think it can happen. Perhaps we make the playoffs (doubtful in my opinion), perhaps we just miss the mark by a few/handful of points. But I want to see the above happen and an identity with this group be formed.

Goaltending also has to be solidified, and it should be with Connor Hellebuyck now on the roster full-time. We need him to take the reins and be 'the guy'. Or Hutch, but the future is no doubt on Hellebuyck and it's his crease to have if he can carry the load and prove his worth.

Next year I hope we can really hit the ground running, as the entire team returns (for the most part - Stafford, Thorburn, Postma, Pavelec UFA's July 1st 2017, and we will lose one player (of minimal impact) to the expansion draft). I expect growing pains this year but next season (2017-18) I expect results and for the team to hit the ground running --- no excuses. If they struggle out of the gate next season I think Maurice is gone. The years that follow (2018-19, 2019-20, etc) I expect to take our place in the upper echelon of teams contending for Lord Stanley.

If this doesn't happen then it's time for management and ownership to look in the mirror because their blueprint of a draft and develop team won't be worth a lick if they don't turn this thing around in the next couple seasons to results. No GM, management group or plan needs 10 years to finally become relevant so this either works and comes together in the next year or two or I think the pitchforks come out in Winnipeg and Chevy, Chipman and co. will have a fan base demanding change and results.

Wow great post! I think Winnipeg's future is bright with Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers and co. and can't wait to see them become succesful.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
I don't need to prove anything here in this thread that's for sure, being a Winnipeg Jets Fan I will let our team do the talking for me this year. :nod:

Now where did I put my Lime?

There it is. :D

Cheers

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I think they'll be fine. in the West they'll end up at the midway point a bubble team along with most of the Central.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
The big problem is Cheveldayoff. He won't make a move to improve the team unless someone has a gun to his head.

And even still when they are pointing that gun (Trouba), he is too scared to trade.

1mjp

May 13, 2016
The big problem is Cheveldayoff. He won't make a move to improve the team unless someone has a gun to his head.

And even still when they are pointing that gun (Trouba), he is too scared to trade.

I think it will pan out somehow. Reminds me of GM Howson trading Nash. Everyone asked "when he'd pull the trigger on a deal" for like a year straight because people said his return value would drop. Then he ended up doing almost the exact same deal offered 6 months earlier, no problem.

Cheveldayoff probably wants to let the season play out a bit. Who knows what will happen (injuries, playoff run, etc.)?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They've got a lot of promising young players, but right now, they're just that...young. Despite the way hfboards in general seems to feel about young players, they have inconsistency and a need for growth in their games. Few come in and completely dominate every night. Especially when you've got many of them all together.

They're also missing some key pieces due to contract/trade demand stuff, and injury. And they just lost their captain and an important player and leader in Ladd. Their goaltending is very inexperienced. A lot of reasons for them to be a work in progress right now.

I do think it adds a significant extra layer of difficulty when teams aspire to win with an "internal budget". It's playing with one hand tied behind your back. It can be done, but it's extremely tough and requires even more luck than otherwise going at it while being able to spend right to the cap and beyond every year. But that's a reality for smaller market teams, and the Jets are hardly alone in that disadvantage.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It will happen really soon. Look at the prospect pool and young talent on the roster. Much like Toronto, Winnipeg didn't have any direction and couldn't develop it's own players. There's a good group of young players, it's just gonna take some time now. Still don't trust Maurice as the guy behind the bench but at least they have a good number of prospects in the system now, some high quality ones as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad