Winnipeg Jets - the more things change, the more they stay the same?

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
When the Atlanta Thrashers were moved to Winnipeg, fans in Winnipeg proclaimed that it would be better under the new ownership. It's been five seasons since the Thrashers became the Jets under much hype and expectation.

To be honest, although there has been some change in terms of coaches, players, uniforms, etc, the end result is still the same; the Jets are a mediocre team much like the Thrashers were (even the same one 0-4 first round playoff locks).

Why hasn't the team improved since Atlanta?

Also, I think that people view the old Winnipeg Jets with rose tinted glasses. They were usually only a first round playoff team at best.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Paul Maurice is a terrible coach. The Leafs got Babcock. The Jets hired Maurice. Yikes.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
When the Atlanta Thrashers were moved to Winnipeg, fans in Winnipeg proclaimed that it would be better under the new ownership. It's been five seasons since the Thrashers became the Jets under much hype and expectation.

To be honest, although there has been some change in terms of coaches, players, uniforms, etc, the end result is still the same; the Jets are a mediocre team much like the Thrashers were (even the same one 0-4 first round playoff locks).

Why hasn't the team improved since Atlanta?

Also, I think that people view the old Winnipeg Jets with rose tinted glasses. They were usually only a first round playoff team at best.

They were a first round team because they were in the same division as Edmonton and Calgary.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
they just picked 2nd in the draft. not sure how much was expected of them this season, but they're still a few years away.

To answer the question, they have a stockpile of good young players. ATL had Kovy and Heatley, but the Jets are stacked on O/D/G. Will prob be a year or 2 at least until they're playoff good.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Whenever the HF hivemind declares a team has a bright future, that's usually the kiss of death for that team. Sorry Winnipeg.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Been saying it for years, they are the epitome of mediocrity. Somehow they avoid the criticisms that teams like Edmonton are battered with. A team of misfits, not much has changed.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
But I thought this was the year they were going to take the league by storm? Or was that last year? Or the year before? I forget.

GM should be fired for having an asset like Trouba just sitting on the sidelines. Trade the dude and get some help for your team.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
We all knew they were going to be like this, maybe Laine will change that but imo they are in the same boat as Ottawa.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Have things really changed all that much though? It's still mostly been drafting 1st rounders that aren't high outside of Laine at 2nd and everything else has been flat. Nothing notable brought in via UFA so far (maybe next year).

The change has been at a snail's pace.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trouba and Little being out is kind of important. They do need stability at the goalie position, though.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I called it when they moved to Winnipeg and kept Atlanta's garbage around for so long. Kane and Pavelec were kept around far too long. Ladd, Enstrom, and Byfuglien should've all been sold off while they had high trade values.

Basically they should've blown up the team and tanked for the first few years in Winnipeg. Jets fans were just happy to have a team again. What did they do instead? Try to put bandaids on and scrape together a playoff appearance.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
The Jets have a great future, I think this thread is very off base. Last season was a disappointment for them but it allowed them to add another high end talent, and they have a lot of top prospects waiting in the wings. They are going to be a very good team in a few years.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think people should temper their expectations regarding the Jets. They have great assets but the team is still raw, and they're missing Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad