Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah..And there is basically no chance Halifax will go very far in the playoff. Theres a reason they traded Murphy and Fucale.
So he could be ready for AHL pretty soon. I still hope he could be finished with everything before the WC begins. We are gonna need him this year.

I doubt the Ice Caps make the playoffs. Even if the Mooseheads get swept the Ice Caps would only have 4 games remaining. If the series goes 7 then the Ice Caps would be down to 2 games left. I don't think Ehlers will see any AHL this year

jetkarma*

I do wonder if Copp won't opt to return to Michigan rather than going the route of the AHL? Is he as likely to knock the door down like Trouba did or not? If not and it's not obvious, he may opt to stay.

I wouldn't compare the two situations in that way , I think this is different because of age and development .

Copp and his advisors as well as the Jets may feel he needs , could use , has to have some AHL time , if so then now may be better than later .

He's turning 21 and has had three years of University hockey , time to be a pro , get indoctrinated , acclimated and start his pro career , or I at least I hope it is.

Another thing , while UM has a really good hockey tradition and program , quite a few observers believe Berenson isn't the best coach and that players don't develop as strongly as they could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn't compare the two situations in that way , I think this is different because of age and development .

Trouba and his advisors as well as the Jets may feel he needs , could use , has to have some AHL time , if so then now may be better than later .

He's turning 21 and has had three years of University hockey , time to be a pro , get indoctrinated , acclimated and start his pro career , or I at least I hope it is.

Another thing , while UM has a really good hockey tradition and program , quite a few observers believe Berenson isn't the best coach and that players don't develop as strongly as they could.

I don't think Copp gains anything in development from another year at UM. He's physically mature and if he's a real pro prospect he needs to take the next step. I'd like to see him come in as the Jets 4th line C next year. I can't imagine that the Jets lose much by having Copp instead of Slater. The Jets' core is strong enough to incorporate 2-3 more young rookies next year. That would also free up salary space for re-signing Stafford and maybe Frolik, and maybe bringing Burmi back.

Ladd-Little-Stafford
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Lowry-Frolik / Burmi
Thorbs-Copp-Stempniak

Enstrom-Myers
Buff-Trouba
Stuart-Morrissey

Top AHL prospects...
Armia, Petan, Kosmachuk

jetkarma*

I don't think Copp gains anything in development from another year at UM. He's physically mature and if he's a real pro prospect he needs to take the next step. I'd like to see him come in as the Jets 4th line C next year. I can't imagine that the Jets lose much by having Copp instead of Slater. The Jets' core is strong enough to incorporate 2-3 more young rookies next year. That would also free up salary space for re-signing Stafford and maybe Frolik, and maybe bringing Burmi back.

Ladd-Little-Stafford
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Lowry-Frolik / Burmi
Thorbs-Copp-Stempniak

Enstrom-Myers
Buff-Trouba
Stuart-Morrissey

Top AHL prospects...
Armia, Petan, Kosmachuk

My personal feeling is he's finished his career at Michigan , just seems to make sense for all and that will overide his allegiance to the school and program imo . Whether he plays for the Jets or the AHL team , it would be best for both him and the organization I believe.

You make a good point about finding the dollars or cap room to sign specifically Frolik and Stafford. If they could slot Copp in as the 4C with say either O'Dell or another similar low cost player as the option/backup that could certainly benefit the possibility to retain both , and I would both want that and encourage that.

Signing both players really would solidify the roster both now and for the future , to do that low cost young players will be needed to fit the salaries in .

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Here is what I would like to see the Jets do for next year

Sign Stafford to a 4 year 4.5 year deal with more money being paid out like 6-5-4-3
Sign Stempniak to a 2 year deal at 1.3 per
Resign O'Dell,Chiarot and Postma
Move Harrison and Clitsome
Sign Copp

Start the year with

Stafford/Schief/Wheeler
Ladd/Little/Perrault
Ehlers/Lowry/Stempniak
Thornburn/Copp/O'Dell

Myers/Enstom
Buff/Chiarot
Stuart/Trouba
Postma

Pavs/Hutch

Callups would be Petan/Armia/Lipon/Kosmo up front Morrisey/Kichton on the back end and Helly in Goal

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Sign Stafford to a 4 year 4.5 year deal with more money being paid out like 6-5-4-3
Sign Copp

Start the year with

Stafford/Schief/Wheeler
Ladd/Little/Perrault
Ehlers/Lowry/Stempniak
Thornburn/Copp/O'Dell

Myers/Enstom
Buff/Chiarot
Stuart/Trouba
Postma

Pavs/Hutch

Callups would be Petan/Armia/Lipon/Kosmo up front Morrisey/Kichton on the back end and Helly in Goal

Like it, but what about Fro & Burmi. Personally, would rather keep Fro in the system, if not we need to get Burmi on board for depth at the very least. Stemp and/or Tlusty are OK but likely not worth going forward with unless Fro/Burmi negotiations fail.

Still would like to see us deal Buff in the offseason to free up the $ going forward (allowing us to resign Fro now). I'm sure we can get a really good D in return for Buff, plus a first rounder, plus a prospect.

Biggest advantage to trading Buff is freeing up time for Troubs & Myers to be our two best RHD going forward - we don't need three highly paid top line RHDs

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would love to Keep Fro but I think he will get talked into gong the UFA route and probably end up with a 5 or 6 year deal paying him 5.5+ a year. I just don't know if we will pay that.

I think they are going to trade Burmistrov. I think they will look to move him at the draft. If that doesn't happen then I suppose they sign him, I just don't think its likely.

I don't think they want to deal Buff and I don't think Buff wants to move. I am hoping Buff stays here and talks a hometown discount in the future

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Copp may want to play out his last year in NCAA if jets don't guarantee him a spot in NHL next season. Hopefully not, but it seems like the smart play for him if other teams had interest in him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Sign Copp

Start the year with

Stafford/Schief/Wheeler
Ladd/Little/Perrault
Ehlers/Lowry/Stempniak
Thornburn/Copp/O'Dell

Myers/Enstom
Buff/Chiarot
Stuart/Trouba
Postma

Pavs/Hutch

I would love to Keep Fro but I think he will get talked into gong the UFA route and probably end up with a 5 or 6 year deal paying him 5.5+ a year. I just don't know if we will pay that.

I think they are going to trade Burmistrov. I think they will look to move him at the draft. If that doesn't happen then I suppose they sign him, I just don't think its likely.

I don't think they want to deal Buff and I don't think Buff wants to move. I am hoping Buff stays here and talks a hometown discount in the future

I like this, too.

I would like them to try to re-sign Burmi for the 3rd line (Stempniak on the 4th), but that might not work out.

I wonder about using Burmi as a trade chip to move up in the 1st round of the draft if there is someone that they are really targeting in the 7-10 range.

Hard to know about Buff. I'm not sure how much of a "home-town" discount he might take, but I would expect that there is the advantage of offering some future security and stability a year before his UFA.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Copp may want to play out his last year in NCAA if jets don't guarantee him a spot in NHL next season. Hopefully not, but it seems like the smart play for him if other teams had interest in him.

I really think that the Jets want to keep Copp. They'll want to avoid letting him play his senior year and have the option of signing with whomever he wants next year. I can't imagine that he wouldn't upgrade the 4th line next year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My personal feeling is he's finished his career at Michigan , just seems to make sense for all and that will overide his allegiance to the school and program imo . Whether he plays for the Jets or the AHL team , it would be best for both him and the organization I believe.

You make a good point about finding the dollars or cap room to sign specifically Frolik and Stafford. If they could slot Copp in as the 4C with say either O'Dell or another similar low cost player as the option/backup that could certainly benefit the possibility to retain both , and I would both want that and encourage that.

Signing both players really would solidify the roster both now and for the future , to do that low cost young players will be needed to fit the salaries in .

I really think that the Jets want to keep Copp. They'll want to avoid letting him play his senior year and have the option of signing with whomever he wants next year. I can't imagine that he wouldn't upgrade the 4th line next year.

I agree but the question is what would the Jets have to offer to get him now? I don't like the idea of guaranteeing a spot in the NHL to anyone. They can lay out the situation. That is they can tell him there is a vacancy at 4C that he will be given a shot at. They can suggest that staying in school any further might damage his future. I think a straight forward approach is best though. Tell him they think it is the right time, make him an offer and let him decide. No promises that they can't keep.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I agree but the question is what would the Jets have to offer to get him now? I don't like the idea of guaranteeing a spot in the NHL to anyone. They can lay out the situation. That is they can tell him there is a vacancy at 4C that he will be given a shot at. They can suggest that staying in school any further might damage his future. I think a straight forward approach is best though. Tell him they think it is the right time, make him an offer and let him decide. No promises that they can't keep.

You say whatever it takes to sign him. "Hey here is a deal that will pay you a million a year in the NHL and we are going to have a spot as 4th line center next season. Its yours for the taking and we think you will excel there".

In the end it is his choice and if he has the skill and desire then he can take that spot. There are no guarantees though and entry level contracts are all 2 way deals and no waivers to worry about.

jetkarma*

I don't see it as having to offer a roster spot on the Jets. This isn't like a team recruiting and using booster money under the table.

First the Jets thought Copp was more a prospect or rated him higher than any other team by the fact they drafted him and others didn't.

So yes he was a fourth rounder but the Jets saw enough to believe and since then all they have done is improve their organization and team. So this isn't like going to a team that is a tire fire ... at all.

Winnipeg has a highly respected team , coaching staff and organization , plus having the AHL team here is a real bonus for players not on the parent team , in many ways. Of course he has one of his very best friends as an integral piece of this team that is going to be here a long time , that is a plus to be sure . Just having someone you know well is but a true life long buddy is even more so .

They can tell him honestly they aren't opposed to youth ( Trouba Scheifele Lowry ) some have come as underagers , some after Junior some with a year of AHL experience. He may need some seasoning and that may be for his benefit regardlesss of where he may play , so I don't see it at all like we need to sweeten the offer with a roster spot promise.

Sure he has the competitiveness to belive he can play if not immediately , very soon . His development needs would benefit from playing and practising more and against pros imo .

I feel more now that he leaves than I did previously , I think it's time and fits him and the Jets to sign .

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Great writeup Garret.
Look at that Schief's multi-year graph -- now that's some progression! Always apparent from these that he, Petan & especially Ehlers are really in a league of their own.

In the Notes mention that Kosmachuk's production is less than Lowry or Armia's at same age (looks higher throughout from the graphs to me!)

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Great writeup Garret.
Look at that Schief's multi-year graph -- now that's some progression! Always apparent from these that he, Petan & especially Ehlers are really in a league of their own.

In the Notes mention that Kosmachuk's production is less than Lowry or Armia's at same age (looks higher throughout from the graphs to me!)

You're looking at the cumulative graph. The green bar in the second graph is described in the text.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You say whatever it takes to sign him. "Hey here is a deal that will pay you a million a year in the NHL and we are going to have a spot as 4th line center next season. Its yours for the taking and we think you will excel there".

In the end it is his choice and if he has the skill and desire then he can take that spot. There are no guarantees though and entry level contracts are all 2 way deals and no waivers to worry about.

Obviously you are trying to get the kid to sign. You try hard but you don't want to go over the line. I wouldn't endorse saying "whatever it takes to sign him". I've never been in the room for that kind of discussion so I really don't know what it is like but you are beginning a relationship that you want to last. TNSE emphasizes character and they claim to try to make it a 2 way street. You don't want to start by being misleading even if what you say is technically true. I wouldn't stop short of dangling the possibility in front of him. There is a vacancy and he would (presumably) be given an honest shot at it. Winning it or not would depend on him.

Based on the reports we have seen here what could we lose by going with him? A few face-offs probably but likely a bit of improvement in everything else. Rookies don't normally excell at FOs. That takes a little time.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Copp is getting closer to a situation where he dictates where he plays. If the Jets are really high on his potential then you push hard for him to sign now with the confidence that he can play at least a steady 4th line role. If not, you can bet that after the upcoming season other teams are going to offer him that scenario and the Jets will lose him for nothing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see it as having to offer a roster spot on the Jets. This isn't like a team recruiting and using booster money under the table.

First the Jets thought Copp was more a prospect or rated him higher than any other team by the fact they drafted him and others didn't.

So yes he was a fourth rounder but the Jets saw enough to believe and since then all they have done is improve their organization and team. So this isn't like going to a team that is a tire fire ... at all.

Winnipeg has a highly respected team , coaching staff and organization , plus having the AHL team here is a real bonus for players not on the parent team , in many ways. Of course he has one of his very best friends as an integral piece of this team that is going to be here a long time , that is a plus to be sure . Just having someone you know well is but a true life long buddy is even more so .

They can tell him honestly they aren't opposed to youth ( Trouba Scheifele Lowry ) some have come as underagers , some after Junior some with a year of AHL experience. He may need some seasoning and that may be for his benefit regardlesss of where he may play , so I don't see it at all like we need to sweeten the offer with a roster spot promise.

Sure he has the competitiveness to belive he can play if not immediately , very soon . His development needs would benefit from playing and practising more and against pros imo .

I feel more now that he leaves than I did previously , I think it's time and fits him and the Jets to sign .

You make a good argument for him leaving school. I'm convinced. The question though is will he be?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Obviously you are trying to get the kid to sign. You try hard but you don't want to go over the line. I wouldn't endorse saying "whatever it takes to sign him". I've never been in the room for that kind of discussion so I really don't know what it is like but you are beginning a relationship that you want to last. TNSE emphasizes character and they claim to try to make it a 2 way street. You don't want to start by being misleading even if what you say is technically true. I wouldn't stop short of dangling the possibility in front of him. There is a vacancy and he would (presumably) be given an honest shot at it. Winning it or not would depend on him.

Based on the reports we have seen here what could we lose by going with him? A few face-offs probably but likely a bit of improvement in everything else. Rookies don't normally excell at FOs. That takes a little time.

Agreed. I don't think Chevy would go over the line. There is only so much you can offer on an ELC. You tell the kid you think he is ready to turn pro. You like his development so far and he will have a chance to compete for a roster spot in camp.

jetkarma*

Agreed. I don't think Chevy would go over the line. There is only so much you can offer on an ELC. You tell the kid you think he is ready to turn pro. You like his development so far and he will have a chance to compete for a roster spot in camp.

You get to play for the JETS ! ;)

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I doubt the Ice Caps make the playoffs. Even if the Mooseheads get swept the Ice Caps would only have 4 games remaining. If the series goes 7 then the Ice Caps would be down to 2 games left. I don't think Ehlers will see any AHL this year

Just saw some people talking about the Ice Caps and a playoff run..have to admit I didn't even look at the standings..but good news.

If winnipeg allows him to go ofcourse

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Chevy could pull a Gordon Gekko and deliver the same thing to Copp that Gordon Gekko delivered to Charlie Sheen in Wall Street. A limousine pulls up with a nice present inside.:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad