Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2013-2014 (Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Same although Morrissey and Draisaitl could possibly drag PA into the playoffs on their own.

They absolutly could and they are knocking on the door after a 5 game winning streak but if PA made it they would be in really tough in the first round. The main reason I think Josh may get some time on the Rock is that the WHL wraps up its regular season schedule on March 15th whereas the St John's Ice Caps don't wrap up their regular season schedule until April 15th which is a full month later. If PA misses the playoffs Morrissey could get as many as 14 regular season games with the Caps plus playoffs.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
They absolutly could and they are knocking on the door after a 5 game winning streak but if PA made it they would be in really tough in the first round. The main reason I think Josh may get some time on the Rock is that the WHL wraps up its regular season schedule on March 15th whereas the St John's Ice Caps don't wrap up their regular season schedule until April 15th which is a full month later. If PA misses the playoffs Morrissey could get as many as 14 regular season games with the Caps plus playoffs.

Wouldn't Morrissey be on a PTO or something that would limit the amount of games he could play?

Plus I agree, even if they scrape into the playoffs they'd be out of the 1st round almost guaranteed. Avoiding a sweep would be their big victory.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wouldn't Morrissey be on a PTO or something that would limit the amount of games he could play?

Plus I agree, even if they scrape into the playoffs they'd be out of the 1st round almost guaranteed. Avoiding a sweep would be their big victory.

Great question for one of our posters who has a bit more knowledge on how the CBA works. for some reasons I thought once your junior team was eliminated from the playoffs you were free to join you clubs AHL team but I am making that call blindfolded :m-confused::crossfing:

edit: Unless they changed the rules in the last CBA we should be ok......Just noticed Morgan Rielly joined the Marlies for the last 14 regular season games and 8 playoff games last season (Moose Jaw missed the playoffs)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
edit: Unless they changed the rules in the last CBA we should be ok......Just noticed Morgan Rielly joined the Marlies for the last 14 regular season games and 8 playoff games last season (Moose Jaw missed the playoffs)

It's funny you mention Morgan Rielly as he was supposed to be the next big thing for offensive defensemen, but guys like Morrissey have outproduced him in junior and Trouba in pro.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

PTO is 25 games, players can be signed to two PTO's in a season, this usually applies to ECHL/other lower pro league guys who are called up to the AHL. Doesn't affect players coming up after the junior season, they usually sign amateur tryout contracts.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Morrissey has already signed an ELC. He would be bound by those restrictions/lack of constrictions wouldn't he?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Petan's scoring has really slowed down. Anyone know what's up? Maybe just a lull...

Morrissey is on fire. His potential is really intriguing.

The scoring title is slowly slipping away for Petan. Too bad. Not like him to slump like this. He's normally Mr. Consistency.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I don't know. I just thought there may be restrictions based on him being under 20 years old.

Scheifele went to the IceCaps in his draft+1 year when the Colts were done the playoffs and the IceCaps were still in theirs. He didn't sign anything other than his ELC, I believe.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Same although Morrissey and Draisaitl could possibly drag PA into the playoffs on their own.

I think they will make it. They beat the Wheat Kings tonight to put them in a 3 way tie for 8th (red deer and Brandon) and the Wheat kings are falling HARD and PA has a game in hand.

Playoffs wouldn't be a bad thing for him, even just 4 games. Gives him a chance to try and show what he has.

But I do feel when they are done, he will be on the Rock. It would benefit him greatly.

Could he do what trouba did and sit in the press box in Winnipeg and if we get eliminated/clinch a playoff birth, get a game with the big club? Or is that to big of a step? I know trouba never played but I think if we got eliminated earlier, he would of.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I think they will make it. They beat the Wheat Kings tonight to put them in a 3 way tie for 8th (red deer and Brandon) and the Wheat kings are falling HARD and PA has a game in hand.

Playoffs wouldn't be a bad thing for him, even just 4 games. Gives him a chance to try and show what he has.

But I do feel when they are done, he will be on the Rock. It would benefit him greatly.

Could he do what trouba did and sit in the press box in Winnipeg and if we get eliminated/clinch a playoff birth, get a game with the big club? Or is that to big of a step? I know trouba never played but I think if we got eliminated earlier, he would of.

I think we should send him to the rock. I have a good question, after the season is over and we miss the playoffs would you want trouba/schiefele to goto the rock for playoff action or would you rather they goto the world championship.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Trouba and Scheifele are ineligible to go to the AHL now. there's a rule in place to prohibit NHL teams from stocking their AHL teams for a Calder Cup run.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Trouba and Scheifele are ineligible to go to the AHL now. there's a rule in place to prohibit NHL teams from stocking their AHL teams for a Calder Cup run.

Yup. I do not have time to find the rule but I can guarantee that both Scheifele and Trouba are ineligible for the clear day list for the IceCaps (similiar to the NHL's trading "deadline" but even more strict). Neither can head to IceCaps for run. Junior players like Comrie and Morrissey will be eligible to head there though.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
I've seen a lot of Royals games this year and Blomqvist is a neat player to watch. He has really fast hands and gets goals and points close to the net. His skating is below average but his style should translate regardless especially on the power play.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I've seen a lot of Royals games this year and Blomqvist is a neat player to watch. He has really fast hands and gets goals and points close to the net. His skating is below average but his style should translate regardless especially on the power play.

Thanks for this.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

He'd benefit more from playing some games and playoff games on the Rock. Taking a step up in skill, physicality, speed, etc should do him some good.

I think we should send him to the rock. I have a good question, after the season is over and we miss the playoffs would you want trouba/schiefele to goto the rock for playoff action or would you rather they goto the world championship.

Why would you want them to even take a step down? The World Championship at worst is at the same level as the NHL competition if not more. If they can play in the WC, I'd love to see them do it.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Having Morrissey go to the Rock would definitely give Jets management an idea of where he is development wise. Playing pro against men, during a playoff push, is very very different than playing jr, obviously. Would be good for his development and experience.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Having Morrissey go to the Rock would definitely give Jets management an idea of where he is development wise. Playing pro against men, during a playoff push, is very very different than playing jr, obviously. Would be good for his development and experience.

The sooner he can get on the rock the better for him. It's very hard on a coach when he has to play someone he knows very little about during the playoffs like we saw with Scheifele. Usually it results in limited icetime.

The good thing is that McCambridge will have more hands on knowledge with Morrissey than he did with Scheifele because of the training camp.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He'd benefit more from playing some games and playoff games on the Rock. Taking a step up in skill, physicality, speed, etc should do him some good.

Why would you want them to even take a step down? The World Championship at worst is at the same level as the NHL competition if not more. If they can play in the WC, I'd love to see them do it.

Very true, but there is value in him leading his team into the WHL playoffs and learning what it takes to be the leader in pressure situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad