Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2013-2014 (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Well it'll be interesting to see what Lowry and possibly Lipon can do as 20 year olds in St Johns this year. I'd like to see those two guys get a crack at the big club in a year from now.

Very interested as well. Especially to see how Lowry does. Depending on the need, I can see either Lowry or O'Dell being our 1st callups.

I also want to see how Kichton does as well. He was in the WHL as an older player, but his numbers are very impressive. It will be interesting to see if he can translate.

One last guy who needs to have a bounce back year in the AHL IMO, is Telegin. Needs to put his injury problems behind him though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Very interested as well. Especially to see how Lowry does. Depending on the need, I can see either Lowry or O'Dell being our 1st callups.

I also want to see how Kichton does as well. He was in the WHL as an older player, but his numbers are very impressive. It will be interesting to see if he can translate.

One last guy who needs to have a bounce back year in the AHL IMO, is Telegin. Needs to put his injury problems behind him though.

I was talking to a person connected with Kamloops Blazers about Lipon and I said can he make the jump to the NHL one day and the person said "hey can play 3rd or 4th line for sure. so determined and competitive. Fantastic skater" also said he is a great kid and we will love having him in the organization. This person is generally pretty measured in his responses when I ask him about people in the Western conference of the WHL.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I was talking to a person connected with Kamloops Blazers about Lipon and I said can he make the jump to the NHL one day and the person said "hey can play 3rd or 4th line for sure. so determined and competitive. Fantastic skater" also said he is a great kid and we will love having him in the organization. This person is generally pretty measured in his responses when I ask him about people in the Western conference of the WHL.
I am also a believer.

No prospect is a sure thing, but I like his mix of skills and the fact that he can be a real pest to play against.

He played all situations in Junior abd battles hard defensively. If he can carry forward some PK ability to the pro level he may make a depth peice.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I'm really anxious to hear an update on Zach Redmond. He stock was really rising, in my view, prior to the injury. Will our first chance to assess be camp? He showed me a lot more polish/moves than I expected. I was expecting Postma-ish, which is good, of course, but he turned out to be an entirely different animal...

Any recent, candid word on progress?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm really anxious to hear an update on Zach Redmond. He stock was really rising, in my view, prior to the injury. Will our first chance to assess be camp? He showed me a lot more polish/moves than I expected. I was expecting Postma-ish, which is good, of course, but he turned out to be an entirely different animal...

Any recent, candid word on progress?

He'll probably be a victim of his waiver status and 2-way contract plus the immense depth in front of him on the right side.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Our boy Trouba good use some help in a poll Seth Jones vs Jacob Trouba

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1479757

I went with the homer vote, but objectively I like Trouba's complete set better. Jones will be good, but I got to go with Trouba, more my style.

I did the homer vote as well. I liked the Leafs fan saying that Trouba is over-hyped. Perhaps said with a bit of jealousy? :naughty:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
gotta be honest: Jones HAS the higher ceiling and right now, I can't think about much why he shouldn't reach it.

I have heard the argument from most posters and respect your opinion but from what I have seen Trouba is a smarter player. I think Jones is really athletic but he is a bit wild from what I have seen. In the WJC I thought he was a specimen but made allot of boneheaded plays. The same pattern was evident at the memorial cup for Jones. what I like most about Jacob is he looks like he is going to think the game at an elite level and I can't say that about Jones yet. Jones has unreal skills though so we shall see......my viewpoint is in the minority on this debate, perhaps I overvalue hockey IQ.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I have heard the argument from most posters and respect your opinion but from what I have seen Trouba is a smarter player. I think Jones is really athletic but he is a bit wild from what I have seen. In the WJC I thought he was a specimen but made allot of boneheaded plays. The same pattern was evident at the memorial cup for Jones. what I like most about Jacob is he looks like he is going to think the game at an elite level and I can't say that about Jones yet. Jones has unreal skills though so we shall see......my viewpoint is in the minority on this debate, perhaps I overvalue hockey IQ.
Hockey IQ is very very very important, but also very tough to evaluate. Also hard to talk hockey IQ without talking about Jones'vision. His vision is top notch. That is a big part of hockey IQ. Control within the D zone is teachable.

It will be an interesting comparison to watch. They are both American and there is only 7 months separating their birth dates. I definitely see Trouba as more polished right now, but I give the nod to Jones for upside.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hockey IQ is very very very important, but also very tough to evaluate. Also hard to talk hockey IQ without talking about Jones'vision. His vision is top notch. That is a big part of hockey IQ. Control within the D zone is teachable.

It will be an interesting comparison to watch. They are both American and there is only 7 months separating their birth dates. I definitely see Trouba as more polished right now, but I give the nod to Jones for upside.

Jones has some crazy skills for sure.....we will see how it plays out and I could definatley be wrong in my assessment.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Jones has some crazy skills for sure.....we will see how it plays out and I could definatley be wrong in my assessment.
Nothing says either guy hits their full upside, I'm just saying if Jones rounds out his defensive game and the offense looks like it can... Wow!

Trouba on the other hand should be a nasty bugger to player against, but I don't see him having the same finesse or passing skills. They are definitely different players.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

this.

Jones seems to play a little wild sometimes, yes. When I saw him at the WJC thats pretty much what I thought about him. In the first game, I had a hard time to see why he should be a top 3 pick, maybe even #1. But I got it over the next couple of games, though he still looked rough in a lot of moments. He clearly has the higher upside vs. Trouba, but right now, Trouba seems to be a step further in his progression.

BizZombie

Jul 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Regardless of the poll outcome, it is still too early to tell who will be the better defenseman. Both are destined to be stars in the league, but will be different types of defensemen overall.

What is perhaps more telling is how Jacob Trouba has moved from the "Who Is Better" polls with players from his own draft year, and is being compared to the top defenseman from the 2013 draft.

That poll transition perspective would imply that Jacob has surpassed his entire defenseman draft class, in the minds of HF posters. He is now being compared to the consensus best of the class following his own.

That transition aspect of the poll alone is high praise indeed for Jacob Trouba.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
When Trouba and Jones were team-mates on the US junior team, there was no question in my mind that Trouba was the better player. Granted, he's more than half a year older.

"Upside" is too abstract for me. You're guessing where someone's, what, genetics could take them? It almost seems like a measurement of someone's P.R. campaign.

Duir

Regardless of the poll outcome, it is still too early to tell who will be the better defenseman. Both are destined to be stars in the league, but will be different types of defensemen overall.

What is perhaps more telling is how Jacob Trouba has moved from the "Who Is Better" polls with players from his own draft year, and is being compared to the top defenseman from the 2013 draft.

That poll transition perspective would imply that Jacob has surpassed his entire defenseman draft class, in the minds of HF posters. He is now being compared to the consensus best of the class following his own.

That transition aspect of the poll alone is high praise indeed for Jacob Trouba.

Yes, pretty much this. There were a lot of skeptical minds when he got the nod at the #9 spot but I recall Chevy being ecstatic about the fact that Trouba was there. A year later and he is getting the nod as probably the best D overall; you're point that he has made that transition to being in a HF poll vs. Jones, who has been highly touted for a number of years, is a very nice step in the right direction. In any case, the Olympic blue line in in 4 to 8 years is trimming out to be quite nice.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Corey Pronman @coreypronman
USA U20 coach Don Lucia said that WPG prospect Lodge will be out for a few weeks. He did not disclose the nature of the injury.

Not great news

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
In the good new column:

Copp scored a breakaway goal in their camp game.

Glad Copp is focused on hockey now.....I read his blog from the camp and he seems like a character kid. Not sure if he sticks with their WJ team but glad he is in camp making some noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad