Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2013-2014 (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
He plays on Portland. That team is a competitor every single year. They'll lose Rattie but will still have a sick first line of Petan - Liepsic - Bjorkstrand. They're a lock to make playoffs at the very least. If Pouliot gets sent back they'll be a very very good team

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So how did Will O'Neill do last year? Saw our prospects poll and he wasn't even mentioned is he worthless?

Offensively he's nice for AHL, defensively................... ya...

He wasn't given a qualifying offer, lost RFA status, went to UFA and TNSE signed him an AHL offer.

At 25 he's older or same age as Little, Redmond, Kulda or Postma... I don't think this guy is a real prospect anymore

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I used newly updated leage-to-NHL equivalencies with age adjustments to project the likely point production of Scheifele and Trouba if they are given quality (read: top 6/4) minutes and usage.

Scheifele 40-50 in 82 games played
Trouba 18-23 in 82 games played

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I used newly updated leage-to-NHL equivalencies with age adjustments to project the likely point production of Scheifele and Trouba if they are given quality (read: top 6/4) minutes and usage.

Make it happen, Cap'n!

It's somewhat possible that Kane and Gooch would drag Scheifele even higher, if that's who he's lined up with. That sort of production out of Trouba would be fantastic, but I'd reckon that if he sticks, he'll probably get 3rd pairing minutes for the most part.

PP time though? That could help him.

Can't wait until the season starts to see how these two do. It'll be quite the battle, but I think they've both got the work ethic and talent to push hard for those minutes.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Make it happen, Cap'n!

It's somewhat possible that Kane and Gooch would drag Scheifele even higher, if that's who he's lined up with. That sort of production out of Trouba would be fantastic, but I'd reckon that if he sticks, he'll probably get 3rd pairing minutes for the most part.

PP time though? That could help him.

Can't wait until the season starts to see how these two do. It'll be quite the battle, but I think they've both got the work ethic and talent to push hard for those minutes.

Quality mins would suggest that they get similar TOI/GP and PPTOI that they did in their last Jr season as well as non toughs/shutdown mins. (but I didn't specify that, my bad)

Be interesting how things shake out with Scheifele vs O`Dell vs Jokinen and Trouba vs Postma vs Redmond. Even if they beat those players, they will likely still eat into some of their games played and TOI.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Quality mins would suggest that they get similar TOI/GP and PPTOI that they did in their last Jr season as well as non toughs/shutdown mins.

Non-toughs I could see, similar minutes will be tougher. Scheifele was often double shifted, and played 1st PP, neither of which will happen if he sticks.

On a related note, it really sux that they don't capture more stats in the CHL.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Non-toughs I could see, similar minutes will be tougher. Scheifele was often double shifted, and played 1st PP, neither of which will happen if he sticks.

On a related note, it really sux that they don't capture more stats in the CHL.

Some do.

Soo Greyhounds actually openly track Corsi and Fenwick, and will mention players playing tough QoC or being possession positive/negative.

Some super CHL enthusiasts estimate these values using goals and +/- (not great but better than nothing). One of these enthusiasts has tracked down AIH and may do some stuff regarding our prospects.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Some do.

Soo Greyhounds actually openly track Corsi and Fenwick, and will mention players playing tough QoC or being possession positive/negative.

Some super CHL enthusiasts estimate these values using goals and +/- (not great but better than nothing). One of these enthusiasts has tracked down AIH and may do some stuff regarding our prospects.

Oh, I'm sure the teams track them, but it's unfortunate that things like TOI, SOG, etc, aren't officially tracked. What's the enthusiast thinking of doing?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I came to that same conclusion when I did the math too. :nod: Albeit, a slightly different method.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Any Information on Markus Karlsson i drafted him in one of my leagues

I assume you are talking about Marcus Karlstrom?

This has to be the deepest league ever.

Varing some stunning unpredictable rapid development, it'll be 2-4 years before Karlstrom even crosses the Atlantic and then it will be AHL for him. The guy did not even play full time in the U20 league in Sweden (SuperElit). It'll be a looong time before Karlstrom is anywhere near NHL.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
In the development camp there were a few guys who haven't received a lot of buzz that really stood out to me.

The three that made a much better impression than expected were Lipon, Czarnik and Lodge. Czarnik is really small but you never know which of those little guys could one day make it. He made a ton of great passes. Too bad he's not Jets property...yet.

Lipon was especially good on Friday and Lodge really surprised me as well.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
In the development camp there were a few guys who haven't received a lot of buzz that really stood out to me.

The three that made a much better impression than expected were Lipon, Czarnik and Lodge. Czarnik is really small but you never know which of those little guys could one day make it. He made a ton of great passes. Too bad he's not Jets property...yet.

Lipon was especially good on Friday and Lodge really surprised me as well.

I agree with you on all three. Lodge has a lot of upside and will take time to develop and build muscle but will be fun to watch for the next few years. Czarnik sure looked good with Petan out there but will be a longshot to make the NHL. And Lipon, to me, will eventually make the bigs, this kid has no quit in him, and he is the type of pest that other teams will hate to play against. Im hoping he makes the Jets fourth line in 2-3 years but we will have to see how he transitions to pro this year, we sure know his skating is good enough.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

yeah :handclap: Scheifele
he will be gung ho at the start, maybe 20-30points at 36 games
then taper off a bit with about 20 points in the last 36 games
he will miss or sit about 10 games, i guess due to wear and benching of the coach.

BizZombie

Jul 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
yeah :handclap: Scheifele
he will be gung ho at the start, maybe 20-30points at 36 games
then taper off a bit with about 20 points in the last 36 games
he will miss or sit about 10 games, i guess due to wear and benching of the coach.

40 points in 72 games would be .56 points per game played

45 points in 72 games would be .63 ppgp

50 points in 72 games would be .69 ppgp

That would be a very solid rookie season, probably resulting in Calder consideration.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
It seems like there's not a lot of talk about Eric O'Dell having a chance to make the Jets this year, despite a very good season on a very bad Ice Caps team. He was really the only forward that stood out all year.

I've never watched him though. Is there something lacking in his game that will likely keep him out of the NHL?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
It seems like there's not a lot of talk about Eric O'Dell having a chance to make the Jets this year, despite a very good season on a very bad Ice Caps team. He was really the only forward that stood out all year.

I've never watched him though. Is there something lacking in his game that will likely keep him out of the NHL?

Pretty sure the only thing is the amount of bottome 6 role players/etc we seem to have acquired.

Jokinen
Schiefele
O'dell
would all be battling for the midle 2 center jobs.

odell
Frolik
tangradi
Halishuk
Slater
Wright
Peluso
Thorburn
Cormier

will all be competing for the 5 remaining bottom 6 positions.

At least we'll have some good competition for the depth roles.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Well it'll be interesting to see what Lowry and possibly Lipon can do as 20 year olds in St Johns this year. I'd like to see those two guys get a crack at the big club in a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad