Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

FE-bE6cXEAkvmFm

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
They should. And give new Jets the history back.

Absolutely agree!

There's precedent for this when the NBA transferred the history of the Charlotte Hornets 1.0 from the New Orleans Pelicans and merged it with the Charlotte Hornets 2.0 who were originally the Charlotte Bobcats.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Absolutely agree!

There's precedent for this when the NBA transferred the history of the Charlotte Hornets 1.0 from the New Orleans Pelicans and merged it with the Charlotte Hornets 2.0 who were originally the Charlotte Bobcats.
I've been saying this all along.

Also Cleveland Browns when original left for Baltimore.

Reactions: Guardian17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Absolutely agree!

It would be nice to see the Winnipeg Jets 2.0 linked to the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 from a franchise continuity POV. I just wonder how the Atlanta part of the franchise would be handled, since Jets 2.0 aren't technically a blank slate.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It would be nice to see the Winnipeg Jets 2.0 linked to the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 from a franchise continuity POV. I just wonder how the Atlanta part of the franchise would be handled, since Jets 2.0 aren't technically a blank slate.

When the Cleveland Barons folded and merged with the Minnesota North Stars their records followed them and are now part of the Dallas Stars.

I'd have no problem with the Atlanta Thrashers history staying with the merged Jets 1.0 and 2.0 just like the Barons history is with the Stars.

If Atlanta gets another team the Thrashers records could be transferred to them in a similar manner.

Honestly, no one in Winnipeg thinks Ilya Kovalchuk is the Jets rookie scoring leader instead of Temmu Selannne.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When the Cleveland Barons folded and merged with the Minnesota North Stars their records followed them and are now part of the Dallas Stars.

I'd have no problem with the Atlanta Thrashers history staying with the merged Jets 1.0 and 2.0 just like the Barons history is with the Stars.

If Atlanta gets another team the Thrashers records could be transferred to them in a similar manner.

Honestly, no one in Winnipeg thinks Ilya Kovalchuk is the Jets rookie scoring leader instead of Temmu Selannne.

The Cleveland Barons case is interesting, since the Minnesota North Stars were kind of split back into two franchises with the formation of the San Jose Sharks, who ended up back in the Bay Area where the Cleveland Barons originated (California Golden/Oakland Seals), all through the Gund Brothers ownership. From a history and records housekeeping it probably helps that the Seals/Barons didn't do much on the ice and didn't have a lot of notable star power.

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
It just can't be done. You can't transfer the history of one thing to another when those franchises are completely different entities that still exist to this day. And I know the NFL indulges this fantasy claiming that the 1996 Ravens were an expansion franchise and the current Browns are the real Browns, but it's just not true. A franchise moved, the entire framework of the team continued in a new city, players, execs, coaches, trainers, secretaries etc went to the new city. That is the continuation of the old Browns, now dressed in new uniforms and called something else.

The current Jets should celebrate the old 1996 and prior Jets all that they want anyway. It took place in the city, many of the current fans have fond memories. You just can't attach that history to your current team. Though it's really not that big a deal...

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It just can't be done. You can't transfer the history of one thing to another when those franchises are completely different entities that still exist to this day. And I know the NFL indulges this fantasy claiming that the 1996 Ravens were an expansion franchise and the current Browns are the real Browns, but it's just not true. A franchise moved, the entire framework of the team continued in a new city, players, execs, coaches, trainers, secretaries etc went to the new city. That is the continuation of the old Browns, now dressed in new uniforms and called something else.

The current Jets should celebrate the old 1996 and prior Jets all that they want anyway. It took place in the city, many of the current fans have fond memories. You just can't attach that history to your current team. Though it's really not that big a deal...

Like I said, the NBA did just that with the Charlotte Hornets and the world did not end.

In addition, the team announced that after collaborating with the NBA and the New Orleans Pelicans, all of the statistical information, records and history of Charlotte NBA basketball will also be returning to the franchise. The Hornets will now own and have access to all of the historical elements from not only the Bobcats era (2004-2014) but also the original Hornets era in Charlotte (1988-2002). The Pelicans will maintain the history and statistics beginning with the team’s first season in New Orleans (2002-03).

Charlotte Hornets Name Returns to Carolinas | Charlotte Hornets

The NHL does not recognize any records from the four WHA teams even though many "players, execs, coaches, trainers, secretaries" remained.

I do respect your opinion and we will just have to agree to disagree. :thumbu:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think what's important is the civic history and collective memory of a team in situ is more important than the executives, coaches, trainers, secretaries that move. So transferring the record book is just a nice symbolic way of cementing that relationship to the previous franchise.

That said, Jets 2.0 history is a little more complicated because Winnipeg inherited all that Atlanta baggage too, whereas the Fake Browns and the Fake Hornets were expansion teams with a bit more of a blank slate.

Long story short, I really want to see the Selanne era Jets branding make a permanent return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad