Winnipeg Jets History

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
May 31, 2011, the NHL returned to Winnipeg.

My Dad took my brother and I to the last WHA game where the Jets won the Avco Cup and I've been a Jets fan ever since.

I remember watching Glendale City Council meetings on the old Jetsowner Forum.

The ALL NEW HOME of the Return of the Jets Campaign

Then there was that beer commercial with a familiar logo.

IMG00034-20110221-1531-1.jpg

Then, on May 19, 2011, Brunt broke the news that a deal had been completed.

https://illegalcurve.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/globe-interview.mp3

Brunt: Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg; stands by story, conflicting reports

And then the deal was finally announced.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not a Jets fan but a great day for me personally after hearing it from Thrashers fans on this site telling me theres no way the NHL will move their team, especially to Canada.

Reactions: Guardian17

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
What an excellent day that was. Young enough to party into the morning still. Watched the announcement as the party ended.

I was only 6 when the Jets left and it was terrible. Never could find "my team" until they came back.

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
Always wished that it could've been the Coyotes that went back, but for some reason the NHL wants to continue to have them on life support. Still was wonderful to have a true hockey city get a team again.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Weird question but where did the Jets players live when they played there? Was there an established downtown area with nicer apartments? Did a guy like Hull just fly in and then fly out after the game? Been wondering about this stuff with smaller market teams for awhile.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Weird question but where did the Jets players live when they played there? Was there an established downtown area with nicer apartments? Did a guy like Hull just fly in and then fly out after the game? Been wondering about this stuff with smaller market teams for awhile.

They lived in the higher end neighborhoods in Winnipeg.

Selanne was famous for playing shinny with kids at local community clubs.

Jets 2.0 players either own homes close to each other or stay at a newly constructed condo building near the arena.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
They lived in the higher end neighborhoods in Winnipeg.

Selanne was famous for playing shinny with kids at local community clubs.

Jets 2.0 players either own homes close to each other or stay at a newly constructed condo building near the arena.

Even the younger guys? Did they just live in houses in suburbia? I'm absolutely aware that Winnipeg had those communities after asking around some. I just assumed that the players themselves lived in an urban area closer to the stadium. I have a client up there who does real estate and she seems to have no idea and now that things are starting to normalize I assume I'll be heading that way this fall. I probably will just book a hotel right around the stadium but would love any recommendations on a good place for an American to get a beer/food otherwise.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Even the younger guys? Did they just live in houses in suburbia? I'm absolutely aware that Winnipeg had those communities after asking around some. I just assumed that the players themselves lived in an urban area closer to the stadium. I have a client up there who does real estate and she seems to have no idea and now that things are starting to normalize I assume I'll be heading that way this fall. I probably will just book a hotel right around the stadium but would love any recommendations on a good place for an American to get a beer/food otherwise.

Check out the Off Topic thread on HF Boards Jets and you'll get lots of suggestions.

OT: - OT Thread, Summer Edition

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

A lot of Jets players live in a new development on the North East side of Winnipeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->