Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 62 44.0%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 44 31.2%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You do know how tough that will be with absolutely no fa wanting to come here, don’t you?
We should have gone scorched earth rebuild / youth movement already. I can stomach watching a young, exciting team. I cannot watch players folding year after year after year.

Make trades. Get younger. Build from the draft. Does not require FA's coming here.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Idk what they’re gonna do but I would say(excluding obvious young guys) only Scheif, Connor, Lowry, Morrissey, and Helly are absolutely coming back, as they should. A lot of other things are up in the air.

I imagine Bones will retire and Arniel will take over. Brad Laurer should be gone.

I wonder if we can move Ehlers at the draft and maybe recoup some draft capital we moved out for this year and save $6m heading into next season there.

With Lambert and Chibrikov likely getting solid looks next year and Perfetti possibly taking a step forward moving a winger who chronically under preforms in the playoffs for a pick and prospect doesn't seem all that bad.

San Jose might be looking for someone with a vet presence to help lift the team out of the funk. They have 14th OA so possible target there. Possible chance Ehlers didn't put them on his 10 team NTC in July.

We should have gone scorched earth rebuild / youth movement already. I can stomach watching a young, exciting team. I cannot watch players folding year after year after year.

Make trades. Get younger. Build from the draft. Does not require FA's coming here.

It's to late now. With low attendance figures there is zero chance they ever do this now. The only time was during the honeymoon period and they dragged their heels. Only shot this ever happens is if we just happen to be legitimately bad.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, I’m afraid this organization sees being like the Minnesota Wild — usually always in the playoffs, but mostly just first round fodder — as successful enough to not do anything that isn’t conservative.

Yeah after all it's a business and being in the green is sometimes just good enough when you aren't a major player.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I wonder if we can move Ehlers at the draft and maybe recoup some draft capital we moved out for this year and save $6m heading into next season there.

With Lambert and Chibrikov likely getting solid looks next year and Perfetti possibly taking a step forward moving a winger who chronically under preforms in the playoffs for a pick and prospect doesn't seem all that bad.

San Jose might be looking for someone with a vet presence to help lift the team out of the funk. They have 14th OA so possible target there. Possible chance Ehlers didn't put them on his 10 team NTC in July.

It's to late now. With low attendance figures there is zero chance they ever do this now. The only time was during the honeymoon period and they dragged their heels. Only shot this ever happens is if we just happen to be legitimately bad.

Even if we keep Ehlers, it really wouldn’t be a bad idea to make a huge youth movement and still be a playoff team. We have all the components to stay plenty competitive. The biggest thing is improving our backend. We need a strong 2nd pairing. We had that when Buff was here with Morrissey and Trouba.

Reactions: Orrrules

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Can we somehow maneuver and break training camp with Morrissey, Demelo, Dillion, Heinola, Samberg, Miller, Schmidt as our 7 main roster D? (And Salomonsson getting some AHL seasoning + injury call up exp)

…please?

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
Coaches Out: Bowness, Lauer

Coaches In: Ryan Warsofsky, Jay Woodcraft

Players Out: Toffoli, Monahan, Stanley, Dillon

Players In: Lindholm, Joshua, Carrier, Pesce, Kahkonen

Resign: Perfetti, Gustafsson, DeMelo

Trade: Ehlers for Zegras

Trade: Schmidt to Chicago for 24 3rd Rd (Ott), 25 4th Rd (NYR)

Trade: Pionk to Utah for 24 3rd Rd (Utah) and 25 2nd Rd (TOR)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Even if we keep Ehlers, it really wouldn’t be a bad idea to make a huge youth movement and still be a playoff team. We have all the components to stay plenty competitive. The biggest thing is improving our backend. We need a strong 2nd pairing. We had that when Buff was here with Morrissey and Trouba.

Yeah the D is probably the biggest change that could be coming. Our right side is seriously weak and there really isn't much out there that's available to grab. We were so set up with Buff, Trouba, Myers and it just all fell apart so quickly. Pionk is probably overstaying his welcome but there just isn't that many good RHD out there. So if not him than who? I think we will probably bring DeMelo back if he wants to stay on a short term deal. Dillon will likely move on I think but that's a big chunk of our snarl gone. I wouldn't mind seeing Miller for a longer chunk of time but he's probably more of a stop gap and might want a situation where he knows he will play. No idea how we go about this really.

We all want to see change and I'd love for the org to make some big moves with Ehlers, Pionk and maybe an interesting signing but I just don't see where it's coming from.

Reactions: Orrrules

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I would think long and hard about trading one or both of Ehlers and Connor.

Can’t keep running this same crew back and not getting better results.
#1: over the last three seasons, Scheifele and Connor without Ehlers have consistently been out-everything'd at 5v5, including actual goals, scoring chances, xG and, most importantly, goaltending.
#2: Scheifele and Connor with Ehlers outscore their opponents and win the xG battle. The sample size is somewhat limited, but goaltending has also been significantly better with all three on the ice.
#3: Ehlers without Scheifele and Connor dominates the opposition in all the relevant metrics.
#4: Ehlers and Scheifele without Connor... need I say anything about this combo?

I'm not saying that all our woes are going to be fixed by hockey trades, but if we're going to make one to get the top 6 going, it just has to be Connor going out of the door. It's not even only about the on-ice results, but he'd also get us much more in a trade with an extra year on his contract.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Bowmess should be gone. Lauer too. Arniel as well. Turf that entire f***ing coaching staff. Turf Pionk. Re-sign DeMelo. Let every UFA walk. Bring Salomonsson over. Give Heinola his NHL days. Just, f***ing god.
Bowness wouldn't stay if we wanted him to. With the issues he and his wife had, the fact that he wanted to retire before he took this job, and the way this team folded like a cheap tent 2 years in a row, there's no shot.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Fire Chevy
New HC
Fix/Improve the RHD
Bye Bye Monahan…too bad we can’t undo this stupid trade

Should have torn it down and started a rebuild last offseason but Chevy stupidly extended Scheifele and now we’re stuck.

Out:
Monahan
Iafallo
Namestnikov
Schmidt
Pionk
Toffoli (if he wants to much to extend)

Trades:
Ehlers for a top 4 RHD like Pulock

Acquire:
Konecny (if available)
Lindholm (unless Vilardi can assume 2C duties)
Look into signing J Toews on a 1-2 year deal

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I have no issue with Chevy. I think he is great as a GM for the Winnipeg market. I fear other GMs would have run the franchise into the ground. Not his fault Monahan and Toffoli have not panned out in the playoffs but he did his job at the trade deadline without giving up significant assets and kept us good enough to finish with one of the best records in Jets 2.0 history. He’s not wrong when he said it’s hard to win in this league, we’re gonna also have to contend with an up and coming Utah team in the future. It’s going to be loaded with picks and already has some stud prospects, and Chevy has yet to have a mackinnon or mcdavid fall into his lap
Generally, I agree with you here and yet ... Chevy is the one who assembled a team of gutless, heartless chokers. I'm sure he has the toughest GM job in the league, but he is picking the wrong players IMO. I found the 2011-2018 Jets much more likeable and enjoyable to watch -- they didn't win but they at least put in effort and fought hard. They didn't fold like a cheap tent EVERY.SINGLE.PLAYOFFS.

Maybe no one of high character wants to come here? Maybe Bones was the only coach willing to come here? If so, then yeah, I guess what else can you do?

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Apples has to go. I would rather see Chibrikov in his spot . He seems to work at least as hard and is about 100x more skilled.

I am on board with seeing what we get for Ehlers.

Connor showed me enough away from Scheifele that I think we keep him.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It's a pipe dream to think Arniel WON'T be next HC of the Jets. The writing is on the wall. I don't like it but I knew it day he signed as associate coach.
If true (and it is) what it shows is that this management is incapable of stepping away from the fuzzy warm familiarity of old boy buddy club mentality. Thats fine and even almost tolerable if you can slay in the post season, but in view of our recent years of playoffs it is a major concern. I mean who actually seeks complacency?

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Apples has to go. I would rather see Chibrikov in his spot . The seems to work at least as hard and is about 100x more skilled.

I am on board with seeing what we get for Ehlers.

Connor showed me enough away from Scheifele that I think we keep him.
Agree with your opinion of Apples and Chibs... Chibrikov is ready I think (hope). Connor is a guy we must keep, he is capable of playing well at all times and especially away from Schuffles.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
If true (and it is) what it shows is that this management is incapable of stepping away from the fuzzy warm familiarity of old boy buddy club mentality. Thats fine and even almost tolerable if you can slay in the post season, but in view of our recent years of playoffs it is a concern.
I wouldn't even say we need to slay in the post season for this to be tolerable ... I'd accept just not being rolled over without even a fight.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I hope to see some changes this summer to make this team tougher to play vs and to increase their compete level. Love to see more heart & soul gritty guys, not saying it would happen this summer but I would be ok trading guys like KC & Ehlers who are exciting to watch but not sure if their guys you win playoffs games with. Just not enough take the fight to them type of guys on our team IMO, skill guys are nice but they don't have the fire. Also need to fix our D, fill the gaps of those leaving. Tyler T needs to go, as does Monahan......both are slower then molasses up hill in January and neither are great defensively. Curious what prospects will make the team, we might get a bit younger next season with a couple kids in the lineup.

Coaching: I'm most curious what they do with the coaching staff, Bones is retiring I'm sure. He is a great defensive coach, but likely better asst coach then head coach. Scott A as our new head coach? Not sure if I'm overly excited by that idea TBH, maybe I'll be surprised but I have my concerns. That being said coaching in the NHL is one of the hardest thing to find good coaches and not just the old reused coaches over and over again.

Rebuilding: No one should be suggesting a rebuild, Chipman already confirmed that isn't happening and we just signed Mark & Helle long term. At most this team does some restructuring

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
-pray salomonsson and lambert hit
200w.gif

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Agree with your opinion of Apples and Chibs... Chibrikov is ready I think (hope). Connor is a guy we must keep, he is capable of playing well at all times and especially away from Schuffles.
I don't even care at this point if Chibrikov is "ready", anything is better than the heartless cowards on this team who fold every post season without even putting up a fight.

I just want to see some change. But Apples out is an extremely minor change, there needs to be much bigger change than that.

I'd love to see Helle gone, wish he was traded last off-season. We have a large enough sample size to say with great confidence that he is one of those players who does not show up for high pressure games. We will never get anywhere with him, so I already know what the next seven years will bring.

BUT ... since that isn't happening, at least take a chainsaw to the rest of this roster. I'd keep Scheifele, Morrisey, and Lowry and literally get rid of everyone else to remove the stench of the past few seasons and do a major re-set. I know lots of people love Ehlers, but I'd trade him not because anything against him but because MASSIVE changes are needed not this BS nibbling around the edges we get every off-season.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad