Rumor: Winnipeg Jets are one of three teams in the running for Antti Raanta

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
reading on some finnish paper, that he is heading to chicago, although, he himself refused to comment.

But now with this newly translated information, I'm not sure....

" Raanta, 24, made ​​an agreement with HIFK, but not with these views against any spinner beast shirt. "

:yo:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
reading on some finnish paper, that he is heading to chicago, although, he himself refused to comment.

Maybe they meant he was flying to Chicago, on a JET, to then make a connection to the WILD city of EDMONTON. ;).

Hopefully we hear soon. Also hope he signs with the Jets. With his success in Europe, I'd easy place him in our top 3 prospects, with ability to be a difference-maker quicker, due to his age and competition he has already faced.

Wait and see, I suppose.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Zzz this is going to start getting ridiculous soon. Just announce it!

Yea a bit dramatic to say the least. If we land him, great......if we don't its nice to know we were shopping for a quality goalie so let’s move on to the next option. I am not losing sleep on it because he isn't exactly a proven commodity at the NHL level yet.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah thats exactly it, even if we land him we should be looking for an experienced NHL backup.

His numbers in Finland may be stellar but you should never rely on an unproven quantity.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yeah thats exactly it, even if we land him we should be looking for an experienced NHL backup.

His numbers in Finland may be stellar but you should never rely on an unproven quantity.
Pav can be our veteran backup. He is as qualified as anyone...

That said, there are plenty of backups who are better than Pavelec.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Oh well, at least it was a fun discussion while we wait for the draft....

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Chicago needs depth like the Jets do
and they are a way better team.

And, look what they did with Niemi after winning the Cup

Could do the same thing with Crawford, who knows.

I thought the Sharks pulled a little offer-sheet jujitsu to get Niemi out of Chicago. San Jose offered Hjalmarsson 4 years/$14 million ($3.5 million per year). Chicago matched but then didn't have the money to keep Niemi when he won a $2.75 million arbitration deal. The Sharks then signed Niemi as a UFA for $2 million.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
That's an odd place to sign.

Looks like they are not 100% sold on Crawford, long-term, and if he can develop into a very good YOUNG goalie, the Hawks are set with a young core and a winning mentality.

As a FA, wanting to sign with the Hawks - in 2013 - makes a lot of sense. Perennial cup challenger, great young team, but with some goaltending questions. Can Crawford win the big game?

Now, if this was 2003, don't think there would be many FA's wanting to sign in Chicago.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I thought the Sharks pulled a little offer-sheet jujitsu to get Niemi out of Chicago. San Jose offered Hjalmarsson 4 years/$14 million ($3.5 million per year). Chicago matched but then didn't have the money to keep Niemi when he won a $2.75 million arbitration deal. The Sharks then signed Niemi as a UFA for $2 million.

You could be (are probably) right.

Hawks were in cap hell and didnt want to pay him what they needed too.

So they let him go.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I just think it's odd for the player not Chicago.

As a player, wouldn't you want to sign there? #1 team in NHL, young team, with recent history of winning (though not for couple of years). If they say, you'll be - at the very least - our back-up next year.

But, play well, you could be #1 guy on #1 team in NHL, focused on winning. Also, would think his stats might be pretty good in Chicago, vs say Florida. If he's a FA after next year, with good stats, he might be able to cash in very nicely.

I'm thinking that's a pretty good reason for player to go there.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
As a player, wouldn't you want to sign there? #1 team in NHL, young team, with recent history of winning (though not for couple of years). If they say, you'll be - at the very least - our back-up next year.

But, play well, you could be #1 guy on #1 team in NHL, focused on winning. Also, would think his stats might be pretty good in Chicago, vs say Florida. If he's a FA after next year, with good stats, he might be able to cash in very nicely.

I'm thinking that's a pretty good reason for player to go there.

As a position player, but not as a goalie FA from Europe. I didn't say it was the worst team for him to sign with, but what are the chances of him replacing a Stanley Cup finalist (likely) who posted .926/.938? It's a one year contract. Winnipeg and Minnesota seem like far better situations for someone who has 1 year to show his stuff. All this is assuming that Wpg and Min were truly interested.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
As a position player, but not as a goalie FA from Europe. I didn't say it was the worst team for him to sign with, but what are the chances of him replacing a Stanley Cup finalist (likely) who posted .926/.938? It's a one year contract. Winnipeg and Minnesota seem like far better situations for someone who has 1 year to show his stuff. All this is assuming that Wpg and Min were truly interested.

Replacing Crawford? I would guess its better than some other teams - or why would Chicago go after him. The Hawks would have to have had interest to begin with, or it wouldn't matter if Raanta wanted to go there or not - the Hawks wouldn't sign him.

So, its pretty obvious they have some questions about Crawford still. That said, he seems to be slaying some of his playoff demons, but his whiff in the Detroit series will be questioned.

And, from multiple sources, Minny seemed to have had interest.

Winnipeg? No one seems to really know for sure. TNSE 'does things' very quietly, with few leaks. Easier to deny, that way. ;). And likely doesn't want to get a hockey-mad market in a frenzy.

If you want to play and be a #1, why wouldn't Calgary be the choice? Cause if they have a bad year, and he plays a ton, his value may not be as high as if he is a supporting piece on a very good team, that wins. Especially if he posts decent stats - a la Lindback.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Replacing Crawford? I would guess its better than some other teams - or why would Chicago go after him. The Hawks would have to have had interest to begin with, or it wouldn't matter if Raanta wanted to go there or not - the Hawks wouldn't sign him.

So, its pretty obvious they have some questions about Crawford still. That said, he seems to be slaying some of his playoff demons, but his whiff in the Detroit series will be questioned.

And, from multiple sources, Minny seemed to have had interest.

Winnipeg? No one seems to really know for sure. TNSE 'does things' very quietly, with few leaks. Easier to deny, that way. ;). And likely doesn't want to get a hockey-mad market in a frenzy.

If you want to play and be a #1, why wouldn't Calgary be the choice? Cause if they have a bad year, and he plays a ton, his value may not be as high as if he is a supporting piece on a very good team, that wins. Especially if he posts decent stats - a la Lindback.

Don't know that Calgary was even that interested. They are bringing over both Kari Ramo and Reto Berra already.

Winnipeg really was a perfect landing spot for Raanta, IMO. Although Crawford is not exactly a top notch player either, so maybe he can carve out a role there. Hell even Ray Emery has managed to restart his career in Chicago (Emery will be one of the worst signings this summer for whoever signs him, IMO), so in that sense you are right, it might be a good spot for him to break in, unlike Gustavsson in Toronto who was shelled constantly on weak teams.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Don't know that Calgary was even that interested. They are bringing over both Kari Ramo and Reto Berra already.

Winnipeg really was a perfect landing spot for Raanta, IMO. Although Crawford is not exactly a top notch player either, so maybe he can carve out a role there. Hell even Ray Emery has managed to restart his career in Chicago (Emery will be one of the worst signings this summer for whoever signs him, IMO), so in that sense you are right, it might be a good spot for him to break in, unlike Gustavsson in Toronto who was shelled constantly on weak teams.

Exactly. And I agree with your comments about Calgary, too.

Don't disagree that the Jets would be good landing spot for him, with their shallow goalie prospects pool. Especially coupled with the opportunity - if he adapts to NA and plays well - to supplant Pav and be a #1 goalie on an emerging young team.

If he's looking for a payday in a years time, then winning on a 'good to great' team sets you up better than being shelled on a 'not as good' team, imo. Nice to slide in as the #2, behind a #1 who's play needs to be better, and if you play well, you can be the #1 quickly. Makes sense he picked Chicago, and that Chicago would want him.

And, who knows, he might win a ring as a back-up (or starter) on a great team. There seems to be a lot of interest in Bernier from LA, perhaps fueled by the media, but for a pretty un-proven back-up, who hasn't played a lot of games, he seems to be in demand (at least mentioned, in most goalie trade rumor scenarios with teams looking for a tender). And it may lead to a nice opportunity to play, and a paycheque, in the near future. Same type of scenario could happen for Raanta.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Since the Jets missed out on Raanta...they should be getting in on the sweepstakes for Austrian goaltender Bernhard Starkbaum who plays for MODO in Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad