Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets 2020 2nd Round Pick

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wouldn't mind picking up a late 2nd to grab Villeneuve. No idea how he keeps getting ranked as low as he does. Led his team (and all defensemen in the Q) in scoring, including his D partner who's probably going to go 1st round, good defensively, good first pass, right hand shot, size is fine.

Cotton is another interesting RHD option, overager that came out of nowhere this year.

Yeah I have Villeneuve ranked way higher than Poirier. He picks up a lot of assists on Poiriers rushes but man he is so much better defensively than Poirier. Poirier is literally a black hole on defence. He has great rushing ability but outside of that he is pretty much always lost. I could see him scoring well in the NHL if he is heavily insulated but when he's on the ice in the defensive zone it's like the other team is on the PP. He has no idea where to go, gets beat outside, inside, underneath, overtop. It gets almost comical watching him defend because he is just soooooo bad. You also can't use him on the PK because it basically turns it into a 5 on 3. To be successful in the NHL he will have to have a very strong defensive partner. Be used almost exclusively in the OZ and PP and might as well just go for a shift change when his team loses possession and the puck goes back the other way.

Reactions: Atoyot

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I think Peterson probably has a high floor. Big, physical, good at faceoffs, good defensively, heavy shot, decent playmaker, good hands, great skater. I think there is a pretty high chance that he becomes a bottom 6 power forward option that you can use as a more defensive 3 or 4C or even on the wing in a worse scenario. The upside is that he really rounds out the strengths in his offensive game and becomes a really solid top 6 C option. The pedigree was there before he joined the USDP. This years USDP class just really couldn't put it together, though they started getting better towards the break. I can't count in the games I watched how many times Peterson set up a teammate and they couldn't finish. In a few years time with some development and playing with some better finishers he could really take a jump. I see a lot of elements of Wheelers game in how he approaches offence. Could definitely stand to shoot more though, he's usually looking for the pass to often. Kid has a heavy shot that he just doesn't let go very often. Kids a backchecking machine too, he just closes space quickly and muscles guys off the puck. Needs to work on some of his skating mechanics but I think there's a chance he could gain a bit more speed and get a better first step if he does. His mitts are pretty filthy as well. Regularly undresses guys on the rush to create chances that seemingly wouldn't be there otherwise.

Sounds interesting. Let’s bring this kid into the organization!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sounds interesting. Let’s bring this kid into the organization!

I'd be all for it if we took him in the 2nd or later. Hes the kind of prospect that some team could definitely really like in the back half of the 1st though. Not guaranteed but not entirely unlikely either. I think if he's there at 40 its worth the gamble. We have never really had a prospect like him in the organization. Lowry is the closest and hes definitely more skilled then Lowry was.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yeah I have Villeneuve ranked way higher than Poirier. He picks up a lot of assists on Poiriers rushes but man he is so much better defensively than Poirier. Poirier is literally a black hole on defence. He has great rushing ability but outside of that he is pretty much always lost. I could see him scoring well in the NHL if he is heavily insulated but when he's on the ice in the defensive zone it's like the other team is on the PP. He has no idea where to go, gets beat outside, inside, underneath, overtop. It gets almost comical watching him defend because he is just soooooo bad. You also can't use him on the PK because it basically turns it into a 5 on 3. To be successful in the NHL he will have to have a very strong defensive partner. Be used almost exclusively in the OZ and PP and might as well just go for a shift change when his team loses possession and the puck goes back the other way.
Agreed, wouldn't touch Poirier with a 10 foot pole. And though Poirier looks flashier and plays PP1, Villeneuve still out produced him. He gets points just by pushing the play forward so well. I think he's going to be a steal.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Guy I wouldn't mind taking a risk on in the 2nd round is Samuel Johannesson who is a very skilled RH D man.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wonder if we move back a few spots and grab another 3rd round pick
I'd rather grab another 2nd round pick. It really depends on whether a player the Jets really like is available at #10. I wouldn't expect them to decide on a trade down scenario until they are on the clock. My guess is that there are going to be a few teams that would have an interest in trading up to #10, depending on who's available.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Didn't realize he was 19, in that case he is a guy I wouldn't mind us taking a later flyer on.
There are a few overagers I like. He's one of them and should be available 5th or 6th round. Alex Cotton is probably going by the 3rd and Egor Sokolov is anyone's guess after being passed up twice already. Honestly it's just a great draft to have a lot of picks in. Which we unfortunately do not.

There must be something going on behind the scenes with Sokolov though. You don't skate and shoot like that at 6'4" and 240 lbs and not get drafted twice over. I'd be very happy if we got him third round or later. Pretty sure I said the same thing in last season's draft thread too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A couple of Swedish forwards that might be of some interest at #40:

Daniel Torgersson (big, skilled winger)
Theodor Niederbach (skilled C)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A couple of Swedish forwards that might be of some interest at #40:

Daniel Torgersson (big, skilled winger)
Theodor Niederbach (skilled C)

Very interested in Niederbach.

I like Niederbach. He would be my ideal pick for our 3rd round pick if we had it. I think 40 is early but there is lots to like about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad