Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets 2020 2nd Round Pick

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Knowing Chevy our pick is Dylan Peterson.

He checks all the Cheveldayoff draft boxes
- 6'4"
- Center
- American
- Slightly off the board
- USHL U18 Team

Not who I'd take, but that's my guess.

We have never taken an American 6'4 center. If anything he would be something we have really never had. He's big, he can skate, he can dangle and he is physical. Lowry is the closest thing we have ever had to that and Peterson has way more pure skill then Lowry had at the same age.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Which was the previous selection in that mold? Connor? Roslovic? Copp? Appleton?

Yeah no one really. I thought he would challenge for a top 20 pick this year but he and frankly the rest of the American squad underperformed by quite a bit. He's like a better skating, better hands version of Lowry. Could be a home run kind of pick if he can put it all together. We'll see how he does at BU.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think this year I would adjust my criteria and focus heavily on prospects in leagues that are likely to play in 2020-21. At this point I'm not sure what that means, probably a higher focus on Quebec and Europe. There might be more clarity come draft day.

I don't want to pick a player who played a shortened draft year season and who will miss their d+1 season.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Blake Biondi is my swing for the fences.

I think this year I would adjust my criteria and focus heavily on prospects in leagues that are likely to play in 2020-21. At this point I'm not sure what that means, probably a higher focus on Quebec and Europe. There might be more clarity come draft day.

I don't want to pick a player who played a shortened draft year season and who will miss their d+1 season.

Forget Biondi. New plan: Theodor Niederbach!

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I'm still holding out hope that somewhere in this draft we pick the epically named Gunnarwolfe Fontaine. I would totally make Ride of the Valkyries his goal song. :nod:

Damn, now that's a great name. I hope we draft him at some point too :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Tristen Robins is an interesting prospect. He had very good output in the second half. A few prospect ranking groups that tend to be reasonable have ranked him as high as mid-teens, whereas McKenzie's list has him outside the 3rd round.

Unless there are some underlying red flags about his attitude, I'd be interested in him at #40.

Reactions: ps241

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Talking to a scout friend of mine about the 2nd round. A real interesting guy is Ian Moore who played High school hockey in Massachusetts this year. He grew to 6'3 and maybe beyond this year. Is a strong skater and plays both ends of the game very well. He is going to play with the Chicago Steel in the USHL this year and go to Harvard the following year. Lot of people think if he played in a higher league he may be in the 1st round. He is also a right shot D man as well. A very projectable type player

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Talking to a scout friend of mine about the 2nd round. A real interesting guy is Ian Moore who played High school hockey in Massachusetts this year. He grew to 6'3 and maybe beyond this year. Is a strong skater and plays both ends of the game very well. He is going to play with the Chicago Steel in the USHL this year and go to Harvard the following year. Lot of people think if he played in a higher league he may be in the 1st round. He is also a right shot D man as well. A very projectable type player

This sounds like a promising guy to maybe snag. I'll have to do some research on him

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Samberg 2.0?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Max Giese is probably all over this.

Might be my new "dark horse" favourite.

Reactions: ps241

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Report back with what you find, please.

Well, I'm no expert at all, just what I read in articles :laugh:

People like Dax might have a better analysis than I

However, he does seem to have promise as a #4-5, maybe a #3-4 if he can exceed expectations. Rank drafts have him in the ~100-120 range. So could be a great value target for a 3rd or 4th round pick (I don't think we have a 4th rounder?)

Here's one of many articles I found: https://thehockeywriters.com/ian-moore-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We have never taken an American 6'4 center. If anything he would be something we have really never had. He's big, he can skate, he can dangle and he is physical. Lowry is the closest thing we have ever had to that and Peterson has way more pure skill then Lowry had at the same age.
Right. Remember when the buzz was that the Jets would draft a big US center with good skating and low upside (Poehling)? They drafted a big Finnish winger (Vesalainen) instead.

But at #40 I could see them go for a big, fast C if they see some upside.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Wonder if you could snag him in the 3rd. Sounds like a real dark horse. I'm always weary about Harvard kids though. They like to stick our their 4 years and bail.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Thanks for the heads up.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Right. Remember when the buzz was that the Jets would draft a big US center with good skating and low upside (Poehling)? They drafted a big Finnish winger (Vesalainen) instead.

But at #40 I could see them go for a big, fast C if they see some upside.

I think Peterson probably has a high floor. Big, physical, good at faceoffs, good defensively, heavy shot, decent playmaker, good hands, great skater. I think there is a pretty high chance that he becomes a bottom 6 power forward option that you can use as a more defensive 3 or 4C or even on the wing in a worse scenario. The upside is that he really rounds out the strengths in his offensive game and becomes a really solid top 6 C option. The pedigree was there before he joined the USDP. This years USDP class just really couldn't put it together, though they started getting better towards the break. I can't count in the games I watched how many times Peterson set up a teammate and they couldn't finish. In a few years time with some development and playing with some better finishers he could really take a jump. I see a lot of elements of Wheelers game in how he approaches offence. Could definitely stand to shoot more though, he's usually looking for the pass to often. Kid has a heavy shot that he just doesn't let go very often. Kids a backchecking machine too, he just closes space quickly and muscles guys off the puck. Needs to work on some of his skating mechanics but I think there's a chance he could gain a bit more speed and get a better first step if he does. His mitts are pretty filthy as well. Regularly undresses guys on the rush to create chances that seemingly wouldn't be there otherwise.

Reactions: untouchable21

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Wouldn't mind picking up a late 2nd to grab Villeneuve. No idea how he keeps getting ranked as low as he does. Led his team (and all defensemen in the Q) in scoring, including his D partner who's probably going to go 1st round, good defensively, good first pass, right hand shot, size is fine.

Cotton is another interesting RHD option, overager that came out of nowhere this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad