OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I always wanted to see a multiplex built in Winnipeg with a 5,000-seat arena, as well as four practice rinks.

Kind of like the IcePlex, but this would also be more for tournaments and to take the weight off the IcePlex. This rink would be more suitable for WHL/MJHL. Plus (don't remember the name of how I knew it) I dislike the Canlan Iceplex.

Would've been nice to put it on Bishop Grandin beside the Autopark because of the Rapid Transit station nearby, but considering there's a development being built there it's too late.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I would really like to see Winnipeg get a WHL team. That being said Winnipeg had a horrible track Record in supporting junior hockey..Warriors had to relocate due to poor attendance and inside the perimeter the MJHL draws flies.
The ticket price point may make it viable though? Great hockey at a really affordable price.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I would really like to see Winnipeg get a WHL team. That being said Winnipeg had a horrible track Record in supporting junior hockey..Warriors had to relocate due to poor attendance and inside the perimeter the MJHL draws flies.
The ticket price point may make it viable though? Great hockey at a really affordable price.
There was a pretty bad element at those games though , i remember one time my friend and i had to run almost all the way home because gangs went to those games to cause havoc . We couldn't get on a bus because they stood at all the bus stops near the arena , we lived in St.Vital at the time , not fun .

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

I used to play in the MJHL (won't say what team) and you could barely draw crowds in Winnipeg unless it was deep into the playoffs. Usually the small towns gave the best support.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I used to play in the MJHL (won't say what team) and you could barely draw crowds in Winnipeg unless it was deep into the playoffs. Usually the small towns gave the best support.

That's why Winkler/Morden is an interesting possibility. Ownership would have to do a lot of due diligence to see if it could work, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility outright.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Steinbach is really interested in the USHL. Trying to work through an arena first. I think they'll get there, given the strength of their business community.

Reactions: GNP

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
That's why Winkler/Morden is an interesting possibility. Ownership would have to do a lot of due diligence to see if it could work, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility outright.
I doubt the WHL is looking into the Winkler-Morden area, considering they want to establish teams in larger markets. Winkler would be the WHL's smallest city, and the Winkler-Morden area has less than 30,000 people. Not enough for the WHL to consider them for a franchise.

As for Winnipeg, the WHL would only work, if the Moose had plans to relocate to a city nearby. Maybe Fargo, Duluth, or Saskatoon (if they can get the no-compete clause amended with the WHL Blades). I actually see junior hockey drawing better than the Moose.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
There was a pretty bad element at those games though , i remember one time my friend and i had to run almost all the way home because gangs went to those games to cause havoc . We couldn't get on a bus because they stood at all the bus stops near the arena , we lived in St.Vital at the time , not fun .

Gangs in Winnipeg were not a problem in 1983. I went to a handful of those games, and saw no such activity, as a boy, and it was sparsely populated (1,000-2,000 in attendance). The IP and Warriors street gangs trace their beginnings to the late 80s. Additionally, what on Earth would gangs be doing in St.James at junior hockey games? Are you sure you are talking about the Winnipeg Warriors of the WHL (1980-84)?

Last edited:

SimpleSimon

Nov 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Actually Swift Current would be smaller than both Winkler-Morden and Steinbach-Hanover including surrounding areas. In fact, Hanover municipality which surrounds but does not include Steinbach) has more people than Steinbach’s 16,000.

Reactions: GNP

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Actually Swift Current would be smaller than both Winkler-Morden and Steinbach-Hanover including surrounding areas. In fact, Hanover municipality which surrounds but does not include Steinbach) has more people than Steinbach’s 16,000.

I never said anything about Winkler-Morden having less people than Swift Current. Regardless, Swift Current, Cranbrook, Moose Jaw, and Prince Albert have all had financial problems in the last decade. There is zero chance the WHL puts a team in any small city outside of Winnipeg.

The WHL has no interest in placing teams in small Canadian cities. Winnipeg, Nanaimo, Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, and a number of US Cities would be first in line to be granted a WHL team through relocation or expansion. Expect to see the Kootenay Ice and Swift Current Broncos relocated within the next decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: wgpsensfan

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
For reference, the median market size in the WHL is 120k as of today.

I cannot imagine the WHL approving a move to a market smaller than the median.

IMO if the WHL comes to Winnipeg the only way it would actually go down is with a handshake agreement that the Moose will be moving on before long. Would TNSE go for that? I don't know.

One thing I haven't seen people take into account is the additional event revenue generated by having more open dates in the winter. So yes, while having the Moose operate elsewhere would increase TNSE's costs, it would also increase their revenue. There is definitely the potential that the additional event revenue would be a lot more than the additional AHL costs.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
TNSE wouldn’t be involved in moving a WHL franchise here, so adding a WHL team to the city is unrelated to their business of operating an AHL and NHL franchise in the city.

They will continue to operate and promote their business entities, as competitors to a new WHL franchise. In other words, they wouldn’t consider moving the Moose unless it was right for their business. And it wouldn’t be. Thinking there is some handshake deal to move the Moose, to help out a new WHL team, is not just highly unlikely, it’s not going to happen.

The owners of a WHL franchise would have to think there is a market for a WHL franchise, along with the Moose and Jets.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
They play an exhibition game against UND every year and lose badly!

2018 - UND wins 3-2 in overtime
2017 - UND wins 6-2
2016 - UND wins 5-1
2015 - UND wins 8-3
2014 - UND wins 4-0
2013 - UND wins 3-0
2012 - UND wins 5-3
2011 - played Regina instead, spanked 'em 8-1
2010 - UND wins 5-2
2009 - UND wins 7-1
2008 - UND wins 6-2
2007 - UND wins 9-3
2006 - UND wins 5-2
2005 - UND wins 6-1

MOSTLY badly, yep.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
2018 - UND wins 3-2 in overtime
2017 - UND wins 6-2
2016 - UND wins 5-1
2015 - UND wins 8-3
2014 - UND wins 4-0
2013 - UND wins 3-0
2012 - UND wins 5-3
2011 - played Regina instead, spanked 'em 8-1
2010 - UND wins 5-2
2009 - UND wins 7-1
2008 - UND wins 6-2
2007 - UND wins 9-3
2006 - UND wins 5-2
2005 - UND wins 6-1

MOSTLY badly, yep.
I would speculate that WHL is on the decline in Canada as BCHL, USHL and US college seem to be recently drawing better players. Likely cause is the flexibility these alternate paths offer with being able to sign at 19 years old but also the benefits of getting a free college degree. Seems hockey is quickly becoming a sport of wealth and many of the families would choose to go the safer/flexible route which is university.

I would think at some point Canadian university teams would be able to attract better players and would be preferable to WHL/CHL. I can't think of any NHL'ers that have gone the Canadian university route.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I would speculate that WHL is on the decline in Canada as BCHL, USHL and US college seem to be recently drawing better players. Likely cause is the flexibility these alternate paths offer with being able to sign at 19 years old but also the benefits of getting a free college degree. Seems hockey is quickly becoming a sport of wealth and many of the families would choose to go the safer/flexible route which is university.

I would think at some point Canadian university teams would be able to attract better players and would be preferable to WHL/CHL. I can't think of any NHL'ers that have gone the Canadian university route.

Joel Ward did both, after four years with Owen Sound, he played four years at the University of Prince Edward Island before playing a couple AHL years then catching an NHL contract with Minnesota.

I'd of course let my child choose their path, but I'd recommend University for sure.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,

Mike Ridley says hi....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad