OT: Winnipeg ICE 2021-2022 [ICE @ Brandon Fri Dec 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Well, 10 years ago I was on the Jetsowner website live streaming Glendale City council meetings wondering if the Coyotes would move back to Winnipeg.

Not only have the Jets returned, but, they managed to not only win a game in the second round of the playoffs, they actually advanced to the Western Conference Final!

The Moose serve their purpose as the Jets farm team.

The ICE seem to be following the London Knights model on how to build and maintain a CHL team.

The plans for the new building are really impressive.

If the ICE can keep tickets and concessions affordable, then I think they will be fine.

I respectfully disagree.

The market is too saturated with hockey as it is. The location is not great, and it will be terrible once the new arena is build near Oak Bluff. A city of 750,000 people cannot support so many hockey teams. The Ice get next to no publicity, and merchandise sales are abysmal. I would like to see the Ice succeed, but the best time that the WHL could have entered the Winnipeg market would have been in the early 2000s. That ship has sailed with the return of the NHL>

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I respectfully disagree.

The market is too saturated with hockey as it is. The location is not great, and it will be terrible once the new arena is build near Oak Bluff. A city of 750,000 people cannot support so many hockey teams. The Ice get next to no publicity, and merchandise sales are abysmal. I would like to see the Ice succeed, but the best time that the WHL could have entered the Winnipeg market would have been in the early 2000s. That ship has sailed with the return of the NHL>

I appreciate your opinion as well. :)

If the ICE do leave town, it will save me time updating this thread! :laugh:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I respectfully disagree.

I’d be shocked if this team is here in 5 years. I would love to have read the business plan that would have been used to move the team here.

WHL is a Thursday to Sunday league and so is their major competition in the Moose and the price point is pretty much the same.

Steinbach and Portage have very strong fan bases so good luck drawing from there.

As far as location of the new arena goes I’m with you. That is terrible. No amenities and only two ways in and out.

as far a merchandise goes it’s a new name and logo would be a good start.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I’d be shocked if this team is here in 5 years. I would love to have read the business plan that would have been used to move the team here.

WHL is a Thursday to Sunday league and so is their major competition in the Moose and the price point is pretty much the same.

Steinbach and Portage have very strong fan bases so good luck drawing from there.

As far as location of the new arena goes I’m with you. That is terrible. No amenities and only two ways in and out.

AHL hockey kinda sucks. Junior is way more fun. Plus you'll see kids playing locally who'll go on to the WJC and have some extra interest there. I had Moose mini packs for a couple of seasons after they came back, and I'm fine if I never go to another AHL game. I'd definitely check out the Ice though. The only advantage the Moose have is the venue. If the Ice get a new arena built - even if it's out at the corner of Assend and Beyond, I think they'll do alright.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

It's sad and frustrating at the same time.

I recall in the early 2000s really wanting a WHL team. When I was in Brandon, I used to always try to make it to Wheat Kings games. I honestly assumed True North had plans to move the Moose in the immediate future, when the Ice were announced to be locating here. It had to be...I mean common sense dictates a city of under one million people can never support a NHL, AHL, and Junior Hockey team. Not even Toronto can support all 3 clubs.

I'm not sure what the owners of the Winnipeg Ice were thinking, but it was a terrible move, and the market is over saturated as-is with the Jets and Moose. The team will be gone by 2025 at the latest.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
It's sad and frustrating at the same time.

I recall in the early 2000s really wanting a WHL team. When I was in Brandon, I used to always try to make it to Wheat Kings games. I honestly assumed True North had plans to move the Moose in the immediate future, when the Ice were announced to be locating here. It had to be...I mean common sense dictates a city of under one million people can never support a NHL, AHL, and Junior Hockey team. Not even Toronto can support all 3 clubs.

I'm not sure what the owners of the Winnipeg Ice were thinking, but it was a terrible move, and the market is over saturated as-is with the Jets and Moose. The team will be gone by 2025 at the latest.
I think that was their plan. But when True North left St Johns for Thunder Bay only for them to pull the plug on their arena plans Winnipeg became the only option. Too bad because St Johns was drawing better than Winnipeg has.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The Ice are owned by a guy who is worth over a billion dollars, they are not going anywhere. This is his little dream team. He will build them a first class rink and they will build a fan base once that is up and going. The new rink is going to be beautiful

I doubt it. Billionaires do not become billionaires by investing in companies that bleed red ink. Besides, if what you say is true, one would think the owner would shell out a few bucks to make the Max Bell Centre look at least presentable. As it stands, it is far from a WHL arena.

Having a Billionaire own the team raises more questions than it answers. Why has the team not been marketed properly? Why was it reported in early spring that tickets were "going fast, and a hot item" and "the team was expecting to sellout every game." Sounds like this owner has as much knowledge of running a hockey club as Eugene Melnyk

There is also the matter of building the arena near Oak Bluff. It is a move that will almost certainly backfire. If the club wants to attract fans, the owner should have looked at places where most fans could actually get to games. It just seems like the owners have no idea what they are doing.

Last edited:

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
I'll give my two cents on the situation with the Ice. As someone who is at most games at Wayne Fleming as I do the teams game day social media, attendance has been hit or miss. Wheat King games are always a sell out and very entertaining, weekend games typically are at or close to capacity, week days are where the issue lies, if its a Jet game day or like on Sunday with NFL Playoffs attendance can be on the lighter side. Attendance from a outsiders perspective can look deceiving though at Wayne Fleming as a lot of people tend to stand along the concourse and not in their seats, each corner also has a standing section for patrons who enjoy a more bar like setting. So if you watch on WHL Live or follow through social media you may see empty seats when in fact most people prefer to stand and watch. I do agree having 2 professional teams takes away from the success of the Ice here in Winnipeg but the biggest concern to me is the facility as its not exactly fitted for a WHL Team and isn't exciting for fans. I feel as if the Ice should have re-branded instead of taking on what didn't work in Kootenay, that teams history isn't anything to brag home about minus a few good seasons. Now the product on the ice so far this year has been stellar, the team plays very well at home and has a young and entertaining team. Players like Peyton Krebs who is a 1st round NHL draft pick and up and coming players like Savoie, McClennon, Geekie, Lambos and Teply this team has made some noise this season and has a chance to make a deep push once the playoffs begin. I have enjoyed every game I've been to so far this season and I'm not just saying that as a employee but as a hockey fan. Once the new facility is built this teams success off the ice will improve.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I'll give my two cents on the situation with the Ice. As someone who is at most games at Wayne Fleming as I do the teams game day social media, attendance has been hit or miss. Wheat King games are always a sell out and very entertaining, weekend games typically are at or close to capacity, week days are where the issue lies, if its a Jet game day or like on Sunday with NFL Playoffs attendance can be on the lighter side. Attendance from a outsiders perspective can look deceiving though at Wayne Fleming as a lot of people tend to stand along the concourse and not in their seats, each corner also has a standing section for patrons who enjoy a more bar like setting. So if you watch on WHL Live or follow through social media you may see empty seats when in fact most people prefer to stand and watch. I do agree having 2 professional teams takes away from the success of the Ice here in Winnipeg but the biggest concern to me is the facility as its not exactly fitted for a WHL Team and isn't exciting for fans. I feel as if the Ice should have re-branded instead of taking on what didn't work in Kootenay, that teams history isn't anything to brag home about minus a few good seasons. Now the product on the ice so far this year has been stellar, the team plays very well at home and has a young and entertaining team. Players like Peyton Krebs who is a 1st round NHL draft pick and up and coming players like Savoie, McClennon, Geekie, Lambos and Teply this team has made some noise this season and has a chance to make a deep push once the playoffs begin. I have enjoyed every game I've been to so far this season and I'm not just saying that as a employee but as a hockey fan. Once the new facility is built this teams success off the ice will improve.
Any word on when construction on the new facility starts or has it begun already?

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Any word on when construction on the new facility starts or has it begun already?

Unfortunately they haven't even broken ground yet but I believe they mentioned back in the summer that the construction process would take about two years so were looking at one or two more season at Wayne Fleming. The Ice haven't made any recent comments in regards to the new facility.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I hope they decide to build on a different piece of land.

Regardless of where they play though, I'm happy to have them representing this city and giving us another entertainment option.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I wanted them to put the arena where the Goodlife Fitness on Bishop Grandin is being built. Plus there's a Rapid Transit station which helps with the transportation, and it's literally just a drive away from The Rink.

What I also really like about the idea is that it brings in amazing opportunity for potential stores and restaurants to be built there. Also, would be nice as a plan B for Bell MTS Place.

Problem with where The Rink's location is that it's not even in the city.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
I wanted them to put the arena where the Goodlife Fitness on Bishop Grandin is being built. Plus there's a Rapid Transit station which helps with the transportation, and it's literally just a drive away from The Rink.

What I also really like about the idea is that it brings in amazing opportunity for potential stores and restaurants to be built there. Also, would be nice as a plan B for Bell MTS Place.

Problem with where The Rink's location is that it's not even in the city.

It would make sense from a fans perspective to have the new facility closer to transit options within city limits but from a business and team perspective the chosen spot makes sense as 50 Below Sports + Entertainment Inc. owns that plot of land and the teams training facility is already there.

MrGrinch

Jul 27, 2011

Just mentioning for those going that this will be a “lottery system” for getting a bobblehead at the game. While STH’s are each guaranteed one for pickup (and well deserved) others attending the game will be given a scratch ticket that may entitle them to a bobblehead. Not sure that’s the way I would have done this...

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I doubt it. Billionaires do not become billionaires by investing in companies that bleed red ink.

Actually, with the right accounting team that is exactly why you own a team. I know it’s counter-intuitive to us normies, but these losses can be valuable for billionaires come tax season.

CaptainUgly

27 Time World Champions
Apr 22, 2018
Way too early to write them off in winnipeg. I do agree rebranding would be cool but the Ice name is fitting for Winnipeg. I guarantee if they make the playoffs even on a Jets game day night they will still sell out. The location right now is shit and the main reason why I haven’t taken in a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad