Winnipeg Arena's giant Queen Elizabeth II portrait being sold online

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I guarantee that the signage on the scoreboard is advertising Export cigarettes. Used to smoke those way back when, and that's the Export branding. It even says "Cigarettes" on the right hand side of the sign, if you zoom in on it. It's pixelated, but clearly says "Cigarettes".

It was a different time, for sure! :laugh:

I've got on old, old Export A clock hanging in my cottage, that I salvaged from my father's drugstore.
It's got a fluorescent back lite, a picture of a young lass in a kilt next to the dial and still works...but the second hand sure makes a lot of noise when it goes 'round.
What a period piece!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
it has zero relevance to today's Jets.
it has little relevance to Canadian society (sorry, monarchists).
it's ugly as sin.

buy it for kitsch. nothing more.

and for you purists out there:
it isn't even the original portrait. the original was somehow even uglier.
http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/333*360/6429339.jpg

normal.jpg

My blood is 100% UK heritage but I have never bought into the Monarcy.....the concept feels dated? However, when English football fans belt out God Save the Queen in unison it gives me chills? Kate Smith singing God Bless America is also amazing....The Russian national anthem is so beautiful in more of a classic sense where even without the words it is moving.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I guarantee that the signage on the scoreboard is advertising Export cigarettes. Used to smoke those way back when, and that's the Export branding. It even says "Cigarettes" on the right hand side of the sign, if you zoom in on it. It's pixelated, but clearly says "Cigarettes".

And so I stand corrected. And to think I almost went shopping for a 12 pack of Export yesterday.

m.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

Zoom enouigh and you can see it says "Plain or Filtered Cigarettes"! As if anyone would have wanted filtered. :laugh:

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
I prefer "well seasoned". :D

Well Seasoned with years and with some decades of experience beyond what your decision basis is based on and its not a knock on you for we were all young once too.

Enjoy and live your life to the fullest for and I swear just a couple of long delayed blinks and you shall be right where we are for age and time passes by faster and then much faster with each and every birthday. :nod:

Cheers

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional. ;)

That is true YWGinYYZ cause I have even known old men who never ever grew up!

and their sons were embarrassed of them from my experience tho! not that its a bad thing but hanging around your sons friends like part of the crowd is not cool.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Nope

Can't even imagine the tension in the building.......many people actually thought the world was on the verge of being blown to bits.

There has always been many people who think the world is on the verge, just like today. I was in high school then and the country was in shock more than anything. No one gave the Soviets a chance. It wasn't about political systems. This wasn't the 1950's anymore. It was our game and best on best we would cream them. We had been told this all our lives. The IIHF didn't allow pros in tournaments so we felt we were cheated.
Anger followed and fans booed our guys in Vancouver. Espo addressed that after the game and that seemed to calm everyone down a bit. That last game will be a lifetime highlight for many of us. Our game changed and so did their's and now we have the best of both.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Nope

Yeah your right, and I always wondered why so many back then smoked Export A, now I know, its amazing how one pic brings everything together!

Go Jets Go :jets Go Jets Go

The reason so many of us smoked them was because our dads did. Those MacDonald's Export "A", Canada's best selling brand by far, smokes we sneaked from their packages got us hooked.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
There has always been many people who think the world is on the verge, just like today. I was in high school then and the country was in shock more than anything. No one gave the Soviets a chance. It wasn't about political systems. This wasn't the 1950's anymore. It was our game and best on best we would cream them. We had been told this all our lives. The IIHF didn't allow pros in tournaments so we felt we were cheated.
Anger followed and fans booed our guys in Vancouver. Espo addressed that after the game and that seemed to calm everyone down a bit. That last game will be a lifetime highlight for many of us. Our game changed and so did their's and now we have the best of both.

That's an interesting opinion, and perhaps you're correct, but I think many people would disagree with you. This was still during the cold war and communism was far from dead. I'm sure the Russians thought it was political.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
The reason so many of us smoked them was because our dads did. Those MacDonald's Export "A", Canada's best selling brand by far, smokes we sneaked from their packages got us hooked.

Weird. All the generation before me were dumaurier or players guys. Don't remember many export smokers.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
'70s

Weird. All the generation before me were dumaurier or players guys. Don't remember many export smokers.

I'm talking mid '70s. I can remember a marketing company phoning our home around 1982. They asked whether I would take part in a new cig brand tryout. A couple weeks later 2 cartons of Export lights got delivered. A couple years later they were on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad