Winnipeg Arena's giant Queen Elizabeth II portrait being sold online

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Winnipeg Arena's giant Queen Elizabeth II portrait being sold online

481ff5c64636e1f2c04dcbf666c28785

http://http://sports.yahoo.com/news/winnipeg-arenas-giant-queen-elizabeth-ii-portrait-being-sold-online-210408048.html

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Couldn't care less what happens to the monstrosity. It's hideous. I agree with Rick Ralph on this one...sometimes you gotta move on and leave the past behind.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Couldn't care less what happens to the monstrosity. It's hideous. I agree with Rick Ralph on this one...sometimes you gotta move on and leave the past behind.

it has zero relevance to today's Jets.
it has little relevance to Canadian society (sorry, monarchists).
it's ugly as sin.

buy it for kitsch. nothing more.

and for you purists out there:
it isn't even the original portrait. the original was somehow even uglier.
http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/333*360/6429339.jpg

normal.jpg

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I wonder what happened to the Queen's portrait that kindly H Ballard ordered removed from Maple Leaf Gardens back in the 1960s to make room for just that little bit more seating (too small for the fat folks who could afford them and too expensive for the thin people who could fit into them as per Conn Smythe's comment)? His remarks were apparently "She doesn't buy tickets, does she?" and "If people want to go and see her, they can go to an art gallery".

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
it has zero relevance to today's Jets.
it has little relevance to Canadian society (sorry, monarchists).
it's ugly as sin.

buy it for kitsch. nothing more.

and for you purists out there:
it isn't even the original portrait. the original was somehow even uglier.
http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/333*360/6429339.jpg

normal.jpg

Sometimes things just strike you. That picture brought back such a sense of nostalgia. I could almost feel what it felt like to be there again. :)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Sometimes things just strike you. That picture brought back such a sense of nostalgia. I could almost feel what it felt like to be there again. :)

nostalgia's one thing. applying that nostalgia to the MTSC is another thing.

my memories of the Arena were great. the buttered hotdog buns. the trough. the smell of the front entrance (snow, salt and cigarette smoke with a hint of popcorn). the feeling of walking up the north end of the arena as a kid and the dizziness i got from looking behind me. remembering what the media area in the upper deck looked like and the horrible carpet. waiting in the basement of the arena after games and seeing Michel Petit use a payphone to call his wife. Asking mark kumpel for a stick...
i could go on and on. but that was then.

i wouldn't ask Kumpel for a stick nowadays nor long for a trough to urinate in. same feelings apply to the Queen's pic, which is so bloody horrible.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
nostalgia's one thing. applying that nostalgia to the MTSC is another thing.

my memories of the Arena were great. the buttered hotdog buns. the trough. the smell of the front entrance (snow, salt and cigarette smoke with a hint of popcorn). the feeling of walking up the north end of the arena as a kid and the dizziness i got from looking behind me. remembering what the media area in the upper deck looked like and the horrible carpet. waiting in the basement of the arena after games and seeing Michel Petit use a payphone to call his wife. Asking mark kumpel for a stick...
i could go on and on. but that was then.

i wouldn't ask Kumpel for a stick nowadays nor long for a trough to urinate in. same feelings apply to the Queen's pic, which is so bloody horrible.

I kinda miss the trough.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Cherry should buy it, god knows he talked about that damn portrait enough!:help:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

Is the pic in the body of the message the Wpg Arena? The free press link shows a different portrait yet again. The link has the original I remember seeing.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
From what I can see from the attached pics, there have been at least 3 different portraits hanging in the Arena (the one for sale is the one I remember the best). So which one is the most important? Basically this was an absurd purchase by this guy to cash in on some nostalgia, sounds like it will be a money loser now. From what I can gather he thought TNSE would buy it at a premium and hang it at the MTS Centre. :handclap:

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
I wonder what happened to the Queen's portrait that kindly H Ballard ordered removed from Maple Leaf Gardens back in the 1960s to make room for just that little bit more seating (too small for the fat folks who could afford them and too expensive for the thin people who could fit into them as per Conn Smythe's comment)? His remarks were apparently "She doesn't buy tickets, does she?" and "If people want to go and see her, they can go to an art gallery".

Or you can find her here from time to time :nod:

Golden Years

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKUy6ygUgP0

boe-gold.jpeg

Last edited:

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Absolutely brilliant photo....even the ExportA clock banner is just so cool.

Yeah your right, and I always wondered why so many back then smoked Export A, now I know, its amazing how one pic brings everything together!

Go Jets Go :jets Go Jets Go

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I don't think it was 'Export A' they were advertising. It was Molson Export beer.

m.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't think it was 'Export A' they were advertising. It was Molson Export beer.

m.

I guarantee that the signage on the scoreboard is advertising Export cigarettes. Used to smoke those way back when, and that's the Export branding. It even says "Cigarettes" on the right hand side of the sign, if you zoom in on it. It's pixelated, but clearly says "Cigarettes".

It was a different time, for sure! :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Can't even imagine the tension in the building.......many people actually thought the world was on the verge of being blown to bits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad