GDT: Winners vs Hawks (losers)

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Just out of the blue but... I freaking love the Parenteau signing. Perfect fit. Perfect contract. Love all about it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He played well on the defensive side of the puck, and threw a snarky tweet back at a Pejorative Slured/butt hurt Chicago fan tonight.

I have Landeskog on my fantasy team and I can tell you this...

Hes not hitting like he was before the concussion, not even close.

Tonight he had four shots on goal but he hasn't had more than one hit in four games, (5 games ago he had 4 hits, which was his 3 point beast game.) tonight he had no hits at all.

So hes cold offensively, and playing more positional than physical as of late. It does not really seem like hes 'changed' his game per-say... but it does seem like hes staying away the physical stuff.

His possession game also seems to be there as well, but he also (Beyond a few rushes to the net) seems to be staying away from planting himself down low in front of the net.

Him bringing every other area of his game besides hitting and standing in front of the net seems like a precaution to me... Just like not fighting Bickel tonight (I personally believe that had he not had a concussion recently he would have fought him). I would imagine they don't want him freight training anyone or fighting for a good while as insurance.

I don't know, I'm fine with being a little cautious... But a lot of his goals come from around the net and hes not going there unless it's off the rush (While trying to beat someone from the outside, we've seen him do that a few times since back). But hes not pulling it off the boards after a cycle/hit, and bulling his way to the net either causing a rebound or scoring for himself.

We'll see if some of that changes in the next couple of weeks when there is more time beyond the injury, but it's going to hurt his offensive game. Hes not a playmaker, his assists and goals come from causing turnovers and breaking pucks loose down low mostly.

I'd say he looks like hes running at about 75% IMO... Just not quite the complete dominate the game style we have seen from him in the past.

(Keep in mind, hes still battling along the wall, winning puck battles, carrying the puck up the ice through checks, and by no means playing on perimeter. But he isn't hitting and he isn't putting himself anywhere near the front of the net for any extended period of time IE asking to get hit.)

It's fairly clear he's not quite at the same fearless level he was at before, but he's not exactly playing scared. It's hard to tell how much of that is mental, and how much of it is his body just not being able to skate or handle the rigors of that style of play after that layoff.

I don't know where you got that hit stat from tonight, but he had a lot of hits. He had about three or four just clearing the front of the net during one scrum where EJ was sittin gon the puck, and a couple on Keith at the end of the game. I know there was a few in between there at least as well, probably more.

He's not playing the same bullish style he was before, but maybe he just needs a bit more time. He appears willing at times to drive to the net, and put his body on the line, but it also apperas that maybe he still doesn't have his full conditioning back. He also doesn't appear to have the same top speed, or acceleration he had last year either.

With the compressed schedule, and the long layoff he had, he probably hasn't had much time for his body to recuperate from being thrown back into the fire. The tough thing is with the schedule, they pretty much play every other day for the rest of the year, with one insane stretch coming up where they play 7 games in 11 days.

He had a bunch of time off where he couldn't work out or do anythign conditioning wise, so his body probably atrophied, and he got thrown more or less back into the mix of it and hasn't had any time for his muscles to rest and regenerate.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just out of the blue but... I freaking love the Parenteau signing. Perfect fit. Perfect contract. Love all about it.

Yea he's been great. He's had a few shifts, and a couple games where he left a little to be desired, mostly because his sakting made him look a little lazy on the backcheck. But he doen'st go very long without being able to contribute some kind of way offensively, whether it's a smart pass, or just patience with the puck on the PP, or a goal. So far he hasn't gone into a drought of invisibility like similar guys in Wolski or even Tanguay would.

He's really a great fit with this team probably more than most, and a great fit with Duchene.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's fairly clear he's not quite at the same fearless level he was at before, but he's not exactly playing scared. It's hard to tell how much of that is mental, and how much of it is his body just not being able to skate or handle the rigors of that style of play after that layoff.

I don't know where you got that hit stat from tonight, but he had a lot of hits. He had about three or four just clearing the front of the net during one scrum where EJ was sittin gon the puck, and a couple on Keith at the end of the game. I know there was a few in between there at least as well, probably more.

He's not playing the same bullish style he was before, but maybe he just needs a bit more time. He appears willing at times to drive to the net, and put his body on the line, but it also apperas that maybe he still doesn't have his full conditioning back. He also doesn't appear to have the same top speed, or acceleration he had last year either.

With the compressed schedule, and the long layoff he had, he probably hasn't had much time for his body to recuperate from being thrown back into the fire. The tough thing is with the schedule, they pretty much play every other day for the rest of the year, with one insane stretch coming up where they play 7 games in 11 days.

He had a bunch of time off where he couldn't work out or do anythign conditioning wise, so his body probably atrophied, and he got thrown more or less back into the mix of it and hasn't had any time for his muscles to rest and regenerate.

He has 22 hits in 11 games... I got them off of ESPN which gets them from the NHL stat sheets. Go look it up...

Less than two hits per game, nothing even close to what he did last season. They don't count it when you just push someone down... I clearly said he was battling, but hes not laying hard checks on people.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I don't really buy this "he is just coming off a concussion" thing about Landy.

He wasn't his old self the first four games of the season either, like I said before, he started to change his style in Sweden and seems to still be stuck in that. After the concussion, he has atleast had ONE game when he looked like he used to last season, Calgary. When he was hitting everybody and throwing pucks at the net from every angle.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't really buy this "he is just coming off a concussion" thing about Landy.

He wasn't his old self the first four games of the season either, like I said before, he started to change his style in Sweden and seems to still be stuck in that. After the concussion, he has atleast had ONE game when he looked like he used to last season, Calgary. When he was hitting everybody and throwing pucks at the net from every angle.

This...

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Yea he's been great. He's had a few shifts, and a couple games where he left a little to be desired, mostly because his sakting made him look a little lazy on the backcheck. But he doen'st go very long without being able to contribute some kind of way offensively, whether it's a smart pass, or just patience with the puck on the PP, or a goal. So far he hasn't gone into a drought of invisibility like similar guys in Wolski or even Tanguay would.

He's really a great fit with this team probably more than most, and a great fit with Duchene.

You nailed it. His skating isn't his strong suit, but he's also a much more physical player than I had expected.

I just love that he always looks like he's enjoying himself when he's playing. Great fit for this team.

:handclap:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I noticed the stat keeper really isn't giving Landeskog any hits at all. Just recalling from this game, he had a big open ice hit on Toews, a hit along the boards on Keith, and a few other ones. This game it has Landy at 0 hits.

Are people really considered about a small concussion? It wasn't a serious concussion and he's 20, theres nothing to worry about him. He's playing the same game he's always played, it will take a few more games before he looks like his old self, but he definitely isn't shying away from physical play like some people are suggesting.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Just re-watched the game.
Still awesome.

Also, Duchene got robbed a couple of times. Could have easily have had a 6 point night

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not worried about Landeskog. He might not be crashing people into the boards but he is playing a very smart physical game. He is very strong on the puck along the boards. You expect him to come out with the puck or clear it (if in the defensive zone) and he pretty much always does.

I'm sure he'll start hitting people once he is more comfortable. I'd be worried if he was playing cute hockey but he's not. He's playing very solid two way hockey and the way he supports his team mates is that of a veteran top defensive forward.

I've also been impressed with O'Reilly along the boards. The way he is using his body to protect the puck is very effective and he always had a good stick so he too comes up with the puck more often than not. I'd almost forgotten how good a passer he is. If Avs don't lock him up long term, they are making a massive mistake.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
I noticed the stat keeper really isn't giving Landeskog any hits at all. Just recalling from this game, he had a big open ice hit on Toews, a hit along the boards on Keith, and a few other ones. This game it has Landy at 0 hits.

Are people really considered about a small concussion? It wasn't a serious concussion and he's 20, theres nothing to worry about him. He's playing the same game he's always played, it will take a few more games before he looks like his old self, but he definitely isn't shying away from physical play like some people are suggesting.

A lot of that is a)inconsistency from building to building and b)what a fan considers a hit isn't what the NHL considers a hit on the stats sheet.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Must've been a HELL of a game to watch in person. The atmosphere looked positively electric.

Of course, Jori tweeted that she was getting drenched in beer by some drunken lady in the stands, so maybe it was best to watch from afar.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I was curious why Landeskog was so angry at Keith and it must have been Keith getting his stick up around Landeskogs face.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Yup....I now wait for some weird life threatening injury to happen any day now. Prolly get struck by lightning in San Jose or something.

They'll find out that his left leg is completely filled with butter, and that high altitude will cause it to sizzle. He'll have to walk for free.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Must've been a HELL of a game to watch in person. The atmosphere looked positively electric.

Of course, Jori tweeted that she was getting drenched in beer by some drunken lady in the stands, so maybe it was best to watch from afar.

Was at the game last night, rockin' the Forsberg '01 all star jersey. First, what a game to win, and what a performance by Duchene! PAP looked great from the stands, and O'Reilly made some great plays backchecking. Patrick Kane is unbelievable to watch in person, and the way Toews plays reminds me of Joe Sakic. Ice was tilted in the Avs favor for a lot of the game and when the Hawks got chances, Varlomov was fantastic. The "END THE STREAK" chant was great, especially since literally half the stadium was Hawks fans. When they scored the first goal half the lower bowl stood up in their red jerseys, and there were at least 2 or 3 "LETS GO HAWKS" chants clearly audible and loud - before we extended the lead in the 2nd.

Just re-played the game at home on Altitude - not quite as noticeable at home on TV, but when the 3rd period started Alan Roach (the PA announcer) came on and announced that the Hawks had changed their goal tender. The mocking, sarcastic surprise/satisfaction in his voice for the announcement was priceless. Great game!

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
Regarding the Landeskog concern...
How much do you think linemates effect the way he plays? With Winnink, ROR, Downie his lines scoring would come more down low. Jones and Stastny play a lot different especially Jones who sets up around the net a lot like Landy used to. He'll continue to see what works and doesn't work over the next few seasons and then will be what he can really be.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Regarding the Landeskog concern...
How much do you think linemates effect the way he plays? With Winnink, ROR, Downie his lines scoring would come more down low. Jones and Stastny play a lot different especially Jones who sets up around the net a lot like Landy used to. He'll continue to see what works and doesn't work over the next few seasons and then will be what he can really be.
Yes, I agree with the observations that Landeskog has been less physical and it goes back to Sweden.

But I also suspect some it has to do with playing with Stastny rather than O'Reilly. To my eyes, Landeskog appears to be more conscientious about his positioning in the offenisve zone and looks to make and finish plays. He's more inhibited it seems. With O'Reilly, it was the two of them just wreaking havoc.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Pretty much restating everything that has been said, but:

Agreed on O'Reilly looking a lot bigger. He's also starting to play like he was last season.

Duchene is just such a treat to watch when he is on his game. He also is throwing his body around more.

Hunwick had a nice hit.

If Stastny played/got bounces like this every night, the Avs would be a very dangerous team. All three centers were playing top hockey, and it really showed on the score sheet.

I don't think the Landy/Bickell/Keith thing is a big deal. Landy was clearly pissed about the stick behind the net, and Bickell was just doing what Bordeleau would do if someone was cross checking Barrie.

I don't see why people are worried about Landeskog. Did anyone notice him going to flying down the ice with 5 seconds left racing for the puck? I was like, "what the **** are you doing." But that's just his relentless, win no matter what attitude. He also had a couple solid hits today. He is just not getting his in close chances like he was last season. I'm sure these will come if the team keeps flying like they were.

Johnny Malkin has such an underrated shot.

Very nice to have EJ back. +4 and looking more mobile than before his concussion. He actually showed some explosiveness on Duchene's goal. Had a few neutral zone turnovers when he stickhandled into danger, but it's nice seeing him being active as opposed to playing conservative.

If Sacco keeps going with the 5 forwards on the PP, then he should put Barrie back in the lineup and that second unit can have a Barrie-EJ pairing on the point which would work nice.

I'm really hoping that the Avs can start their own streak from this momentum, but knowing the Avs, they'll get shutout in San Jose. This may be one of those turning points in the season though. A lot of young players could be believing they're one of the most talented teams in the league. A little confidence and belief could go a long way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad