Post-Game Talk: Winner winner!

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Because he'll be 34 next year, he's incredibly injury prone and it's highly unlikely he repeats or even builds on this season.

This team isn't competing next year anyway, best for Howard to move on and free up cap space for guys who will be around for when we actually compete again.
it would be cool if he played his way into being tradeable I guess. I don't think the team will be contending before he retires so...

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Because he'll be 34 next year, he's incredibly injury prone and it's highly unlikely he repeats or even builds on this season.

This team isn't competing next year anyway, best for Howard to move on and free up cap space for guys who will be around for when we actually compete again.

Opinion from the analysts seems to be that MAF will be the prime target of Vegas. Who else needs a steady goaltender? Winnipeg is the only team that I know of off-hand.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah I'm fine with winning a bit. The season is over and I'm definitely a member of the tank brigade but it's still fun watching AA win it in OT and if we can't enjoy stuff like that, what's the point? Trust me I agree the cup should be the only goal but we might as well enjoy an exciting win eh?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Are teams actually allowed to tank?
There is 5-10 teams in the same position as we, but do they try to lose?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Happy for Athanasiou, I really didn't understand Blashill not playing our best players late simply because they are not vets. If you want to win you should play your guys who give you a shot to win. It's obvious with Athanasiou's speed and skill he should be a regular contributor in OT.

The larger concern is we're probably not going to be able to draft a difference maker on defense. Could happen, we'll have to wait and see.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dallas needs a solid goalie. The Jim Nill connection is there.

I've actually proposed this for a few years. You take on Kari Lehtonen (or Niemi if they prefer?). The Wings would have a terribly bloated goalie scenario, but the contracts expire after next year. So for 1 season you overpay a veteran backup for Mrazek.

Lehtonen's cap hit is only 500K more than Howard, so your bottom line is virtually identical.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
it would be cool if he played his way into being tradeable I guess. I don't think the team will be contending before he retires so...
He's tradeable. The way people talk about Howard you'd think he slept with everyone's sister and mom. There are 4-5 contracts that are 100x worse before we even start talking about Howard. Hell, he only has two years left on his. This board just has a flare for dramatics.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's tradeable. The way people talk about Howard you'd think he slept with everyone's sister and mom. There are 4-5 contracts that are 100x worse before we even start talking about Howard. Hell, he only has two years left on his. This board just has a flare for dramatics.

The shorter the contract gets, the more movable is it. It was basically kryptonite until the final two years. Even with only 2 years left, his inconsistencies and injuries will make it a hard sell. The goalie market is pretty soft.

If you don't want to retain salary, you'll need to swap it for another veteran making too much money for the next year or two.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
The shorter the contract gets, the more movable is it. It was basically kryptonite until the final two years. Even with only 2 years left, his inconsistencies and injuries will make it a hard sell. The goalie market is pretty soft.

If you don't want to retain salary, you'll need to swap it for another veteran making too much money for the next year or two.
Not really gonna argue but I'm but sold on Howard being a hard sell. If he stays healthy he's legit, the gamble is just that though.

DeKeyser and Helm are hard sells in my eyes, if Vegas takes anyone I'd hope it's one of those two. Was at the game today and Jensen carried DK all afternoon. Shocked me how many telegraphed stretch passes the Wings defensmen try.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Opinion from the analysts seems to be that MAF will be the prime target of Vegas. Who else needs a steady goaltender? Winnipeg is the only team that I know of off-hand.

There's also analyst speculation that Vegas could take "as many as six goalies" and basically monopolize the goaltending market in the off-season to their benefit. Not sure who they would target but there are a lot of valuable "backups" in this league who will go unprotected.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Hopefully Howard finishes his career on a team with an actual defense. Hopefully Mrazek gets to play on a Detroit team with an actual defense.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
He'd have a better shot at being a C if he were actually consistently played at C. No guarantees he'd be one, but there ought to be some meaningful commitment to developing him from the organization, if they'd like him to play there in the future.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I agree with Eddie-O and Pierre yesterday- Larkin is not a center in this league.

He's 20 and has not been playing C consistently for much of the year. He's been playing pretty good the last 10-ish games at C (6 pts in his last 10 games).

He'll play C at the NHL level next year

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Understood, but thus far, I see two red flags:
* There's been nobody on the coaching staff that's done him any favors in developing him as a player, let alone as a center.
* The kid seems to be willing to continue to bang his head against the same wall (technique on offense), rather than stepping back and evaluating other options.

Now, as you said, he's still really young, and there's still plenty of time to get him on track. But something major definitely needs to change if the kid is ever going to take a real run at being a decent center, because this season has been a trainwreck for Dylan's potential as an NHL pivot.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Our D is stll awful, but games like this make me wonder if injuries are what kept us out of the playoffs this year. A full season of Howard could have done great things for us.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Our D is stll awful, but games like this make me wonder if injuries are what kept us out of the playoffs this year. A full season of Howard could have done great things for us.

Injuries didn't make the power play abysmal or force insanity like using Sheahan frequently in need-a-score situations.

That said, a bit more health and the team is probably still hanging out in wild card territory - as bad as we've looked, a 6 game swing on the season would have us tied with Boston (so a more reasonable 4 game swing certainly has us within swinging distance). It's a little disturbing, personally, that a few FA tweaks could actually put the team right back into purgatory next year.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Why do we want to lose our best goalie? Or do you want to tank next year also.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but we aren't going to be materially better next year. Like this year we will actually try to win, but fail miserably at it. It is time to turn the page on the past and start building back to relevancy. Howard has no role to play in that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad