Post-Game Talk: Wings win! Jackets @ Wings 10-15-13

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Gus came up big and looked a lot better/more comfortable than last game where he was really swimming out there.

Get used to that. His game is often swimming. When he's at his best he's reacting instinctively and it's not always pretty.

One of the things he was told to correct in Toronto, by Mr. Butterfly Francois Allair, was exactly that. Of course taking a goalie who is more Hasek and trying to make him Giguere or Roy is an exercise in futility.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Get used to that. His game is often swimming. When he's at his best he's reacting instinctively and it's not always pretty.

One of the things he was told to correct in Toronto, by Mr. Butterfly Francois Allair, was exactly that. Of course taking a goalie who is more Hasek and trying to make him Giguere or Roy is an exercise in futility.

Yeah he made four or five stand up saves tonight, looked a lot more like the guy that used to play in Sweden. Seems they have taught him out of just pure butterfly and gone back to what he was before he came over. Also will probably protect his wonky groin not repeating that over and over. Anyway he seems to have his older approach, it isn't always pretty, but that is what got him to the league in the first place and he gets better results so far with it, so that is good news.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Gustavsson
Datsyuk
Alfredsson

HM: Z and Tootoo

I thought Datsyuk deserved a goal last night. Z with two fluky assists :laugh:. However I give the edge to Alfie for getting his first goal as a Wing and that whole shift was worthy of a start IMO.

Great game by Gus of course.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep Tootoo on this team. You always notice him on the ice and he struck fear in the CBJ players last night. He might not put up points, but I appreciate his effort and what he brings to the table. Seeing him one shift and then how pathetic Franzen was skating was downright infuriating.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah he made four or five stand up saves tonight, looked a lot more like the guy that used to play in Sweden. Seems they have taught him out of just pure butterfly and gone back to what he was before he came over. Also will probably protect his wonky groin not repeating that over and over. Anyway he seems to have his older approach, it isn't always pretty, but that is what got him to the league in the first place and he gets better results so far with it, so that is good news.

Can probably thank the smaller pads for it. Now he needs to be scrambling and it just suits him better. It's just two games though, thankful games where he got a chance to get into his rhythm.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Not the best win.

I felt like CBJ had way too many good chances. Did they end up outshooting us too? Gus came up big and looked a lot better/more comfortable than last game where he was really swimming out there.

wings had better corsi and fenwick.

jackets had more shots that ended up in net/getting saved.

dats 40% at dot again.

tootoo with 5 hits. tootoo and glendening had fenwick (shots and missed shots) of 72.7% of all fenwick events when they were on the ice even though glendening went 2/9 at the dot. that 4th line has purpose now. though they didn't start once in def. zone.

andy line is still used very much as all defense line.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 53m
Wings have reassigned goaltender Petr Mrazek to Grand Rapids, so Jimmy Howard at least able to backup Gustavsson in Colorado, if not start.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011

Hasek game was more calculated than some think. Everything wasn't just reflexes and instincts wit him. Also on first saves he used pretty modern techniques it's on 2nd saves you saw his unique techniques and philosophies of the position.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It didn't take long for Pavs to get back to his top form, he's been the best player on the ice in about 3 straight games now. Gotta give Gustavsson his props, sure he had some lucky post strikes in this game but he still made 18 saves in the first period. That's back to back high quality starts for him. That fourth line is great at forechecking and it was obvious in the 3rd when the Wings were protecting the lead. There's nothing wrong with using a forecheck to protect a lead as you spend lots of time in the offensive zone and prevent the opposition from spending time in your zone.

I could take or leave Tootoo but I find his ability to plaster guys along the boards to be even more helpful than his fighting. He could very well earn a spot on that 4th line with Miller and Glendening. It's fun to watch them get after guys in the offensive zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad