Post-Game Talk: Wings win in Florida.... I guess that is what we just watched, I will take it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Agree not the prettiest game, it felt like 120 minutes instead of 60, but the Wings had their moments. It's difficult to pick 3 stars. Coreau 1st NHL win, AA was making things happen like before the injury, Mantha was outstanding. Nielsen woke up a bit. To watch he, Nyquist, and Vanek celebrating was great, so happy.

HM to Jensen. A couple times he took off skating I couldn't believe it. He has potential, always has. I admit I'm impatient regarding our "prospect" D but I guess let the lot of them (including Marchenko)continue to compete for spots. It can take 2 or more seasons for defensman to develop I wonder who will shake out.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
That is why Nick Jensen got called up over Robbie Russo. ^^. Hopefully he's full-time in the NHL next season, regardless of where. His skating is there. Give him some experience and he can do well on a bottom six.

My gamecentre ****ed up again tonight so I didn't catch much. Anyone else having issues with GC? It's been terrible all year.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Man Mantha better not just be teasing us, how amazing wouldn't it be if he actually lived up to his Junior hype?
Something that also impressed me with Mantha is that he as more D-zone starts than Ozone, so he is given a lot of responsibility. I think the main reason for this is that Mantha is great at gaining possesion and is also great at skating the puck in to the opposing end with his speed and protecting of the puck. Compare that Larking who had like 60% Ozone starts last season.

Love the Kronwall hit, never thought we'd see that again

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think Ouellet has been spoken of enough. Sproul seems to get discussed more because he is "flashier" and the better offensive defenceman, but Ouellet has been steady. I don't want to lose either of them. If everyone is ever healthy at the same time, Holland will have some big decisions to make.

Yeah they are far from great players or anything, but I like what I've seen from both of them this season. I really wish they would bench Kronwall and not those two.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Well, I need more data. I've seen enough small sample sizes to know better.

In smaller samples, I focus more on how the goals come, rather than raw totals. So far so good. But remember, Larkin hit a wall real hard after half a season. Give the kid more opportunities and let things play out.

Keep in mind Power Forwards tend to take more time to develop too. But much like other young great players, the puck just seems to follow him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Man Mantha better not just be teasing us, how amazing wouldn't it be if he actually lived up to his Junior hype?
Something that also impressed me with Mantha is that he as more D-zone starts than Ozone, so he is given a lot of responsibility. I think the main reason for this is that Mantha is great at gaining possesion and is also great at skating the puck in to the opposing end with his speed and protecting of the puck. Compare that Larking who had like 60% Ozone starts last season.

It is almost like the Wings had a plan when they kept him in the minors and they pushed and pushed and pushed him.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Refs were awful. Fla better team for 65 minutes but still lose. 4th Fla goal should not have been cancelled. No clue about Nielsons SO though.
Mantha, AA. Nielson.
There was no interference at all. He was quite deep in the crease and the goalie was not able to establish his position. If the game was 2-1 they call it a good goal, but since it was 4-1, they called it off. An experienced goalie would easily embalish interference there.
Look what happens when you get ice time. AA needs to be next with an increase in minutes. Play the kids. At least if we lose with the kids playing, there is still something to watch for.
Look at Sheahan and it is not like that.
We outchanced Florida 14-11 in scoring chances, so it was Panthers who were lucky.

Deserved win, nothing else.

We were on the puck all the time, we played quite well.

The best player and the main reason is kronwall. He levelled 2 players and Ericsson one. Those were great hits. Kronwall definitely ratttled the rats. His best game this season.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Funny enough he said how much easier the AHL was because of the ability to see and read shots in. Then he has 4 goals scored off of deflections, screens in the insanity known as the NHL! Haha at this level you stop more shots you can't see- that's the next step we'll see what JC becomes. I'm interested until proven wrong. It's unreal Mrazek doesn't start in Florida, crazy times. I have no idea, stay with Coreau? :dunno:

Interesting, because that's exactly what I've seen in his 2 games so far. He looks like "bad" Howard, when he's letting in long range shots through screens

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Glad to see them getting the win in Florida. Is this the first win after trailing when coming into the 3rd?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Seems like the refs read all of ar000n's posts and felt bad, then tried to make up for their mistakes by giving us 3 goal reviews in our favor :D

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That is why Nick Jensen got called up over Robbie Russo. ^^. Hopefully he's full-time in the NHL next season, regardless of where. His skating is there. Give him some experience and he can do well on a bottom six.

My gamecentre ****ed up again tonight so I didn't catch much. Anyone else having issues with GC? It's been terrible all year.

Yeah, I do like Jensen. I think both him and Sproul should be given a long look. Marchenko, Ouellet, Smith have all gotten long looks and I just don't see anything in their games that makes me feel they are guys you need to have on your roster. Other than Smith they're mostly just good at not barfing all over themselves. At least with Jensen and Sproul you get really nice mobiility and some breakouts. Hell, even big E has made some nice breakout passes lately. :amazed:

Get your rearguards with the ability to headman the puck and get guys like Mantha, Tatar, Athanasiou and Larkin hitting center ice at full speed and we start to generate some scoring chances. Hockey actually becomes fun once again! :popcorn:

It is frustrating to watch Tatar and Nyquist. They can't do anything right.

Tatar is just having bad luck, he's doing what he should be doing and is getting quality scoring chances.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Didnt watch the game but the last few weeks Kronwall has been doing that again. He had a big one against Philly I believe and has been trying to line guys up plenty of other times.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Didnt watch the game but the last few weeks Kronwall has been doing that again. He had a big one against Philly I believe and has been trying to line guys up plenty of other times.

The hit on Smith was totally clean, lined him up perfectly. I have to wonder if his knee is starting to feel better. He's definitely been making more of an effort lately to get back to his Kronwalling ways. :yo:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The hit on Smith was totally clean, lined him up perfectly. I have to wonder if his knee is starting to feel better. He's definitely been making more of an effort lately to get back to his Kronwalling ways. :yo:

Just watched the highlights and saw the hit on Trochek and assumed thats what was being talked about until he absolutely crushed Smith. I think his knee is better but hes probably also getting his timing back as well. Not playing huge minutes likely means he feels a little bit more free to step up and make those plays more

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Maybe someone told kronner he sucks at everything else so he may as well start lining ppl up again

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Keep in mind Power Forwards tend to take more time to develop too. But much like other young great players, the puck just seems to follow him.

Much like other young players that play with Zetterberg, the puck just seems to follow him. Not a coincidence

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Seems like the refs read all of ar000n's posts and felt bad, then tried to make up for their mistakes by giving us 3 goal reviews in our favor :D
:laugh:working refs help then. :laugh:

The main reason why we won the game. He destroyed 2 players and Ericsson one.
If we are going to win games, we have to use some nastiness.:pb:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
In smaller samples, I focus more on how the goals come, rather than raw totals. So far so good. But remember, Larkin hit a wall real hard after half a season. Give the kid more opportunities and let things play out.

No doubt. Are the goals being banked in off of him or is he sniping those corners? Mantha looks good though. I'm also focusing though, on his play without the goals. He seems real good there to me. Big body *and he uses it.* He's not smearing people along the boards but he's protecting the puck and getting it back and using that insane reach.

I don't think this is a lucky streak. I think this is what he is. The real question is if he plays this way all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad