Post-Game Talk: Wings win in Florida.... I guess that is what we just watched, I will take it.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
I cry myself to sleep. The refs roam my nightmares and our lack of PP chances are there as well.

Sparkzuk

Jan 13, 2016
Refs were awful. Fla better team for 65 minutes but still lose. 4th Fla goal should not have been cancelled. No clue about Nielsons SO though.
Mantha, AA. Nielson.

Last edited:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
about as lucky a win as you can get against a team on the back end of a back to back. that was probably the worst goaltender interference call i have seen since the glendening/holtby instance

team still looks like trash and I doubt this win will mean much of anything but you never know i guess.

i'm scared holland is going to do something stupid like trade AA for a stop gap veteran defensman if the wings keep hanging around

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Good comeback!

Hilarious how last year we could not win a shootout to save our lives, and this year, everything is going well.

Merry Christmas!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Mantha is slowly turning me into a believer. That was a real goal scorer's goal.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Did anyone catch that post game interview with Coreau?

He just seems like a genuinely nice guy. Couldn't stop smiling, and you could tell he was very excited/emotional at the same time.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Good comeback!

Hilarious how last year we could not win a shootout to save our lives, and this year, everything is going well.

Merry Christmas!

Detroit: 5-0 in the Shootout

Toronto: 0-5 in the Shootout

Some things never change for Babcock. :laugh:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Good challenge by Blashill on that 4th goal I guess. We've *****ed about Homer having a goal waived off for worse but whatevs. Good to see the young guys continue to get ice time. Happy for Coreau as well.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
5-0 in the shootout, beat a Florida team AND we're not bottom 5 for the Christmas break. Woo! Amazing how that happens when half the league is within a couple of points of one another.

P.S. So done with FL, 2 more games vs TB, 3 vs Mtl - the three teams that have wrecked us so far. We have decent-good records vs all other divisions and are 3-7-2 inside our own craptastic division. Potentially good news is we still haven't played the rest of our division opponents much or at all. If the trend continues vs the likes of Buffalo and Toronto, then this season truly is lost.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Refs were awful. Fla better team for 65 minutes but still lose. 4th Fla goal should not have been cancelled. No clue about Nielsons SO though.
Mantha, AA. Nielson.

I think Neilsen's shootout attempt was the right call. It looked like he was trying to bring the puck across in an attempt to tuck it behind Luongo. He lost control and just took one final stab as a sort of shot. So I don't think there were two shots there.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Mantha is slowly turning me into a believer. That was a real goal scorer's goal.

Look what happens when you get ice time. AA needs to be next with an increase in minutes. Play the kids. At least if we lose with the kids playing, there is still something to watch for.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Didn't see any of the game but watched the replay of the Mantha goal just now and - wow - what a move to get into scoring position.

How was Coreau? I hesitate to ask because it seems like people always overvalue a rookie goaltender's early wins, but I'd like to hear about it anyway.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Didn't get to watch the game tonight but...why are we complaining about being a bit lucky tonight? Take it and run. Better than being on the other side of it.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't think Ouellet has been spoken of enough. Sproul seems to get discussed more because he is "flashier" and the better offensive defenceman, but Ouellet has been steady. I don't want to lose either of them. If everyone is ever healthy at the same time, Holland will have some big decisions to make.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Didn't get to watch the game tonight but...why are we complaining about being a bit lucky tonight? Take it and run. Better than being on the other side of it.

We outchanced Florida 14-11 in scoring chances, so it was Panthers who were lucky.

Deserved win, nothing else.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
by the wording of the rule thats a no goal and the truth is goalies should not have to engage in a wrestling match with someone to get a no goal.
As far as the shootout even the Florida announcer said that was losing the puck. So can you lose puck and regain the puck on a shootout.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Didn't see any of the game but watched the replay of the Mantha goal just now and - wow - what a move to get into scoring position.

How was Coreau? I hesitate to ask because it seems like people always overvalue a rookie goaltender's early wins, but I'd like to hear about it anyway.

Coreau is the exact same as 3 months ago in pre-season, a goalie who "has it" right now and the league is mentioning. I really like what I've seen, what is he like 6'9" tall?

Funny enough he said how much easier the AHL was because of the ability to see and read shots in. Then he has 4 goals scored off of deflections, screens in the insanity known as the NHL! Haha at this level you stop more shots you can't see- that's the next step we'll see what JC becomes. I'm interested until proven wrong. It's unreal Mrazek doesn't start in Florida, crazy times. I have no idea, stay with Coreau? :dunno:

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
Liked seeing Frans' reaction after he scored his goal. He was very pumped!

I too, was surprised that the goal was called off...but being Red Wings fans the Holmstrom ledger is still far from being balanced.

Coreau looked a little bit shaky to me but okay. (That's to be expected from a guy in his 2nd game ever). Had trouble keeping the puck in his trapper. Also had a bit of trouble covering rebounds. Darren Eliott claimed that 2 goals were tipped (I couldn't see it on the replay) and one was a lost man with a wide open back door tap.

Anyway, a Christmas victory going into the break. Hurray!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He has 6 goals and 11 points in 19 games why is he slowly turning you into a believer??? You should be convinced by now.

Well, I need more data. I've seen enough small sample sizes to know better.

In smaller samples, I focus more on how the goals come, rather than raw totals. So far so good. But remember, Larkin hit a wall real hard after half a season. Give the kid more opportunities and let things play out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad