Pre-Game Talk: Wings vs. Tampa 10/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Guys I think we should each write our own 2000 word essay on whether or not the correct goalie is playing regular season game number 3.

Please submit them by the end of the day.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Guys I think we should each write our own 2000 word essay on whether or not the correct goalie is playing regular season game number 3.

Please submit them by the end of the day.

Mrazek is on my fantasy team. Howard is not.

/the end

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Howard is in net.

Yeah saw where Khan had said that Blashill had comfirmed that Jimmy was starting. Kind of wish that Mrazek was starting though they way Tampa has performed lately I think that Mrazek would be more solid for us case in point the Carolina game Jimmy continues to give up juicy rebounds and we can't afford that against a dangerous Tampa team.

Actual Thought*

He's not being indecisive right now. He is letting the situation play out because the goalies have been dead even. Heaton pointed out some good reasons why it would be premature to name one right now. Age you going to be hypercritical of everything he does all year even if we are winning?

Until he proves he is capable of winning a Stanley Cup I think it is fair to question whether or not he is. I am not really impressed with the guy. He exudes fake confidence IMO. He is way into self help seminar cliche's like "earn this" and then he hands Kindl the first PP of the year. Kindl hasn't earned that so his rhetoric goes out the window on game 1. Players see right through that kind of nonsense.
He watched them getting trucked for 45 minutes against Carolina before making an adjustment. Why?
He had Z killing penalties in a meaningless game 1 while we have grinders more than capable sitting the bench. Why? Does he want Z warn out and injured by game 30?

How did the goalie tandem work out in Vancouver? He needs to make a decision. He needs to be a leader. I don't see it thus far.

I am not suggesting that he be fired after 2 games. They hired him and now they have to see how that plays out. However you can't just ignore everything he does and call him great.

He said the other day that he hopes he has the respect of the players. Great coaches don't hope for such things.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
No I don't think Howard was healthy at the time. I also don't think there is an issue right now given it has been 2 games and given that the schedule for the month is full of back to backs. However I do think the coach needs to pick a starter in the next few weeks. Yes you are off base. It is merely speculation about what effect Blashill's indecision may have. He isn't a god. It is okay to question him. I don't know why it is such a big deal. Many people ripped Babcock every day for hundreds of posts. Many have ripped Holland for millions of posts. Those guys actually have accomplishments on their resume.

The difference is people--(reasonable people, I'm leaving he fringe "we hate everything about everything" people out of the discussion)-- who criticized Holland and Babcock had valid complaints.

Holland has made some bad free agent mistakes and trades away assets for rentals that ended up not doing anything.

Babcock ran a system that is really hard to watch and that players really don't like if they're not winning with it.

This is you wanting to hammer on Blashill for running things exactly how any coach with the goaltending options he currently has would run it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Until he proves he is capable of winning a Stanley Cup I think it is fair to question whether or not he is. I am not really impressed with the guy. He exudes fake confidence IMO. He is way into self help seminar cliche's like "earn this" and then he hands Kindl the first PP of the year. Kindl hasn't earned that so his rhetoric goes out the window on game 1. Players see right through that kind of nonsense.
He watched them getting trucked for 45 minutes against Carolina before making an adjustment. Why?
He had Z killing penalties in a meaningless game 1 while we have grinders more than capable sitting the bench. Why? Does he want Z warn out and injured by game 30?

How did the goalie tandem work out in Vancouver? He needs to make a decision. He needs to be a leader. I don't see it thus far.

I am not suggesting that he be fired after 2 games. They hired him and now they have to see how that plays out. However you can't just ignore everything he does and call him great.

He said the other day that he hopes he has the respect of the players. Great coaches don't hope for such things.

Giving guys something they don't desevre? OH, so you mean like Babcock giving Cleary PP time and top 6 shifts when he can't even skate anymore? Or playing Lashoff on the top pair with Kronwall? Or Brunner being handed a 1st line spot with 0 games of NHL experience?

All coaches try things like that.

How did that Hasek-Osgood tandem work out?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

You want him to kick the door in like Bowman? There isn't just one way to manage.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
No I don't think Howard was healthy at the time. I also don't think there is an issue right now given it has been 2 games and given that the schedule for the month is full of back to backs. However I do think the coach needs to pick a starter in the next few weeks. Yes you are off base. It is merely speculation about what effect Blashill's indecision may have. He isn't a god. It is okay to question him. I don't know why it is such a big deal. Many people ripped Babcock every day for hundreds of posts. Many have ripped Holland for millions of posts. Those guys actually have accomplishments on their resume.

I personally think you are making a mountain out of mole hill. I dont think there will be any locker room split due to goalie controversy or whatever. Sure it CAN happen in SOME places. I just dont see it happening in Wings locker room. Wings had split goalie thing many seasons before. Vernon, Legace, Ozzy, Dom etc. They got along great. And from what ive seen from Howard and Mrazek, I dont think it will be an issue. Everyone knows what's up in the lockeroom. Also Scotty, Babcock they've done it plenty times for great results. Sure in playoff type of games, you can't be wishy washy and you need to pick your horse and ride but during regular season? alot of things happen and things constantly change.

your proposed controvery doesn't seem very real to be honest and projecting this to some sort of coaching indecision or inexperience... seems a bit of stretch in my humble opinion.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I'm fine with Andersson getting waived. He'll probably get claimed but we have no room for him and he gives us very little value in a trade.

That said, Holland should probably start talking trades for when Dats gets back. I suppose it's not an immediate concern since we could put Larkin in the AHL for a bit if absolutely needed, and not have to worry about losing someone to waivers.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Ansar Khan, the Wings beat writer, hinted yesterday it could be Andersson. Nothing set in stone though.

Yeah Khan seemed to think it would be Andersson, But since Helm wasn't cleared by the team doctor as of yesterday Holland didn't put any one on waivers. So if Helm is cleared today then the only one who could be sent down without clearing waivers would be Marchenko. But it would be foolish to only carry 6 defenceman we might be okay for today but the weekend with back to back games with Carolina and Montreal we need that extra defenceman so maybe Andy goes on waivers tomorrow either clears or picked up but think he clears and then Marchenko gets recalled by Friday for the weekend series that's most likely how it plays out.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Blash needs some track record yet. There is no just one way to effectively run an organization and contrary to popular beleive one doesn't have to be disliked to be effective.

Would like to see them go all in with Mrazek the tandem does help Howard's trade value though if he can play well this season.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

First of all, has anybody else "earned" that spot any more than Kindl has?

Second of all, we've played 2 games. Can't it be that he's giving a guy who's been around a while one last chance to earn a more permanent slot that he was projected to own so many years ago? And if he doesn't, someone else will be tried?

Because sometimes when you're in a slump, the best way to get out of it is to blow it all up; but other times when you're in a slump, the best way to get out of it is to grind it out and stay the course until it starts clicking again. And sometimes you have to guess which is the case, and sometimes a person guesses wrong.

Maybe he needed the ice time, and maybe it's only game 2 so he's not yet in danger of being worn out?

Well someone above me already pointed out that there exist both examples and counterexamples in any case.

Oh come on, you say that as if it's going to make the slightest difference to anything, ever.

He's about to coach his 3rd NHL game EVER. He can hope whatever the hell he wants until it starts losing us games.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Helm is still in gray jersey on the ice praticing. Won't be in tonight's game it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad