Post-Game Talk: Wings vs. Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
kindl is a lousy dman. he is soft, not very bright and will never ever rise above being a #5 dman on a bad team or #7 on a good team

jurco was solid enough

mrazek is legit

everyone else whould be disgusted with themselves for a lack of effort and integrity

yes we are short on talent but short on heart and grit? thats a character issue not a skill issue

yes we should lose to anaheim given our injury situation but it should have to be a hard fought ducks win where they leave the rink physically bruised and battered, where they ahd to fight for every square inch of ice and when they did they got whacked and hit at every turn, knocked down and pushed over from whistle to whistle and after each and every play

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
People realize the impact of having all the injuries we do has on a team, right?

Right?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
People realize the impact of having all the injuries we do has on a team, right?

Right?

i expect them to lose but i expect them to fight to lose not roll over and that is exactly what they're doing

and yes "fight" literally means that

this mental toughness is a phrase created by the weak, sometimes you do have to actually push back harder then you were pushed

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
The apparent lack of effort was disappointing. One would think that the veteran players would bust their ***** to show the younger guys how to compete at the NHL level. Instead, it seemed like they were all coasting. The Ducks are too good to play that way.

Additionally, this is just ugly hockey to watch right now. Over the last few weeks its been sloppy, ugly hockey - something we aren't accustomed to. I seriously hope that this isn't the direction the Wings are heading.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
i expect them to lose but i expect them to fight to lose not roll over and that is exactly what they're doing

and yes "fight" literally means that

this mental toughness is a phrase created by the weak, sometimes you do have to actually push back harder then you were pushed

Well, with a team full of rookies and 4th liners, a "fight" won't do much in my opinion. At a certain point, you need talent to win.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Well, with a team full of rookies and 4th liners, a "fight" won't do much in my opinion. At a certain point, you need talent to win.

again thats crap

thats exactly what ottawa did last year, minus all their stars and all their talent they literally fought to win games with rookies and true 4th liners through hard work, believing in their system and each other, and heart and soul grind it out wins

they fought for every lose puck, they battleted hard from whistle to whistle and after every whistle they kept going, they didnt turn their backs, maclean didnt once utter the words of garbage known as "mental toughness," they mucked it up, they blocked shots and sacrafacied their bodies and they skated and they skated and they skated

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
again thats crap

thats exactly what ottawa did last year, minus all their stars and all their talent they literally fought to win games with rookies and true 4th liners through hard work, believing in their system and each other, and heart and soul grind it out wins

they fought for every lose puck, they battleted hard from whistle to whistle and after every whistle they kept going, they didnt turn their backs, maclean didnt once utter the words of garbage known as "mental toughness," they mucked it up, they blocked shots and sacrafacied their bodies and they skated and they skated and they skated

You forgot to mention the ridiculous performance that their goalies gave them last year. IIRC all of Anderson, Bishop and Lehner had a .930+ Sv percentage. If you're going to play the grind 'em up style you need your goalies to be elite puck stoppers so when you do get dominated in the possession game they can bail you out.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Wings have had all of their success with 3 scoring lines & 1 grind line. The bottom six players were better but we're comparing an injuried team to a healthy team. When we're fully healthy we have 3 scoring lines and while not your grind line 4th line we so have a defensive/grind line esque 4th line

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 8m
Wings have heard nothing from the NHL regarding possible disciplinary action against Kyle Quincey for boarding Ryan Getzlaf.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Wings have heard nothing from the NHL regarding possible disciplinary action against Kyle Quincey for boarding Ryan Getzlaf.

:laugh:

I guess the NHL decided that the bigger punishment was having to play Quincey instead of suspending him.

The main board/Ducks board are going to have a hissyfit and call for Shanny's head.

tunasnacks*

So instead of punishing Quincey, they punish the rest of the team and the fanbase for having him still on the roster.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
You forgot to mention the ridiculous performance that their goalies gave them last year. IIRC all of Anderson, Bishop and Lehner had a .930+ Sv percentage. If you're going to play the grind 'em up style you need your goalies to be elite puck stoppers so when you do get dominated in the possession game they can bail you out.

sens were actually one of the best possession teams last year. better corsi than wings, 5th best overall.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Wings have had all of their success with 3 scoring lines & 1 grind line. The bottom six players were better but we're comparing an injuried team to a healthy team. When we're fully healthy we have 3 scoring lines and while not your grind line 4th line we so have a defensive/grind line esque 4th line

i am not comparing an injured team to a healthy team i am comparing the players we have when we're a healthy team to those exact same players we have when we are an injured team

cleary, sammy, bert, andersson, eaves are the same 5 guys when the team is injured or healthy

the problem is, regardless of health situation they're useless and not the proper NHL 4th line kind of players that any team can win with when their stars are out or not scoring

yes we're losing right now because of injured stars but we're losing the way we're because those guys cant play any other way beyond riding coattails

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
So they should just accept the losses right....no shame in losing with all those guys out right.

Well yes. I mean, what is your suggested alternative to "accept the losses"? Deny them? Refuse to believe? Dispute them to Gary Bettman?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

Well, I wouldn't be unhappy about Quincey getting suspended... but I gotta ask is there even precedent for it? I mean we see suspensions for headshots, but this play was clearly not a headshot. It was a stupid play, boarding that could easily result in injury. But it was already punished with game misconduct. Is that the type of thing we would ever see a suspension for?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Well yes. I mean, what is your suggested alternative to "accept the losses"? Deny them? Refuse to believe? Dispute them to Gary Bettman?

i wish teams could play hard, actually hard, nhl hockey
skate
hit
muck it up
fight
block shots
etc, etc

when their star players are out fo the lineup

its too bad thats illegal

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
i dont get you guys. everybody was yellign and screaming holland for not let them young guys play because they are so much better then what we had then.
not he is forced to play them and all of a sudden we are excusing the losses with playing young guys then are worse then the old ones.
wasn't some guys here proclaiming a bright future after zetta and dats when all the young guns are up with all the potential 40 goal scorer?
every griffins player was considered a legit nhl 40 goal scorer. now its not even one.
i absolutely hated hudler but this guys are even worse. and its not like htey are 18ish or something.
all "young" guns but jurco are 23 or older. they should contribute now and lead the team in scoring if they would be real nhl goal scorer material.
so maybe there is a reason that the are rotting in the ahl. i guess they are just not as good as all here think.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I will never understand why Glendening gets a shot and guys like Ferraro and Callahan who are out of options next year do not. Gelndening sucks, he's not physical, he's not very fast yet he plays over other prospects. :shakehead

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I will never understand why Glendening gets a shot and guys like Ferraro and Callahan who are out of options next year do not. Gelndening sucks, he's not physical, he's not very fast yet he plays over other prospects. :shakehead

He's a center, Ferraro and Callahan are not.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive
Babcock on Alfredsson not skating: "That's what happens when you're 41. You get a day off." Said he will play tomorrow.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what our record is after scoring the first goal?

I'd also like to see who our top scorers are since Z went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad