Post-Game Talk: Wings vs. Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
For those keeping track, Kindl and Andersson have now joined Kyle Quincey in the suckdom of +/-. All three of them are sporting a -10.

Meanwhile, Brendan Smith is a "respectable" -4.

That means he's improved, as we've noticed. He was -10 or so at some point, right?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Anyone else notice Anderson lugging up and down the ice like a dump truck stuck in low gear? I mean like d3 hockey slow!

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Tonight was men against boys!
Yea, and everyone expected that to be the case. I don't know if you're trying to be a hipster or what but you have to shed this idea that everyone wants to see tonight's roster compared to a healthy roster.

Regarding Andersson; where in the **** did playoff Andersson go?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So you're ok with more of tonight and a lost year?

What are you talking about? The callups/kids are no Zetterberg and Datsyuk, and it would be absolutely stupid of anyone to expect them to be their first real year in the league.

But there's no doubt that some of them are superior players to guys like Sammy, Cleary, Bert.

Your post seems to indicate you don't agree with that. I think that makes you certifiably insane. No one. No one. Wanted this many Griffins up. And definitely not at the cost of having guys like Z, Helm, Franzen, Dekeyser out injured. We wanted Tatar, Nyquist as regulars, maybe Jurco, maybe give Sproul/Almqvist/Marchenko/Ouellet a few games to see what they got.

So you keep saying "These guys aren't good enough!" Duh? We're replacing Zetterberg with who? Franzen with who? No one from the Griffins is going to be able to pick up that slack. But you'd have to be a fool to use that as a reason to say that the Griffins players are bad or not ready for the NHL. Most of them are ready. Ready to be slotted in on the 3/4 line, with our established core group healthy, playing, and leading the team.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
My big problem is and I said this before this year and last year even is that I fear we're wasting money and time with this team. We're paying Alfredsson good money..for what? He wants to win a Cup or so he says, well he isn't winning one in Detroit and that's hardly an "out there" prediction. This mantra of "competitiveness" is kind of a joke because really what fan wants to see an average team, what player or coach competes for the prize of being the 11th best team in the league.

We spend to the cap and ice a non-contender. You don't turn into the Calgary Flames overnight, it's a creeping process of marginal contracts, roster management decisions biased towards dubious veterans, complacency favoring guys already on the team etc. It's only that it feels quite sudden when you wake up one day and realize what you've become.

Number 9*

Yea, and everyone expected that to be the case. I don't know if you're trying to be a hipster or what but you have to shed this idea that everyone wants to see tonight's roster compared to a healthy roster.

Regarding Andersson; where in the **** did playoff Andersson go?

And all I'm saying is like it or not they're not NHL ready. Sorry that's MY opinion.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We spend to the cap and ice a non-contender. You don't turn into the Calgary Flames overnight, it's a creeping process of marginal contracts, roster management decisions biased towards dubious veterans, complacency favoring guys already on the team etc. It's only that it feels quite sudden when you wake up one day and realize what you've become.

Well, a lot of those bad contracts are going to end within a couple years. Some of them end this year. I hope Holland is smart enough to know when to let go.

I've been pretty critical of the way this team was being handled and managed, but I don't see much point in saying "these players all suck!" with the current problems. Unlike last year, our injuries this year are to actual key players. It's pretty unfair to call up Sheahan, give him no insulation, and say "he sucks." Andersson is playing at 2C. Ideally he wouldn't even be 3C. 4C at best. Look who's playing where because of injuries to our key guys. It's pretty sad.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well, a lot of those bad contracts are going to end within a couple years. Some of them end this year. I hope Holland is smart enough to know when to let go.

I've been pretty critical of the way this team was being handled and managed, but I don't see much point in saying "these players all suck!" with the current problems. Unlike last year, our injuries this year are to actual key players. It's pretty unfair to call up Sheahan, give him no insulation, and say "he sucks." Andersson is playing at 2C. Ideally he wouldn't even be 3C. 4C at best. Look who's playing where because of injuries to our key guys. It's pretty sad.

Dude, Sheahan, Andersson etc. are the last guys I'm blaming but at the same time, this process of throwing youngsters out there to see how they do without much insulation is how this business has worked for 90% of teams since expansion at least. It's not fair but it's the reality of it and plenty of guys make a good enough impression to stick around. That's sort of the idea, chaff and wheat.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I unfortunately had to miss this game.

Kinda bummed I missed Jurco's 1st goal, oh well.

I'm more mad that Cleary scored, than I am we lost 5-2. We need to get rid of him next year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For those keeping track, Kindl and Andersson have now joined Kyle Quincey in the suckdom of +/-. All three of them are sporting a -10.

Meanwhile, Brendan Smith is a "respectable" -4.

Yep and Smith finished tonight even while playing over 25 minutes. Thats 2 more than Kronwall.

Kindl has looked pretty weak

Johnz96*

At least we witnessed some history tonight as Jurco scored the first of hopefully many more to come in his NHL career

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
And all I'm saying is like it or not they're not NHL ready. Sorry that's MY opinion.

They're not NHL TOP6 ready. Sorry we can't win when we are missing 8 roster players. Pavs and Z weren't Top 6'ers as rookies either. Feds was probably the last Wings rookie that came in and could play right away at that level. So cool, hope you aren't a hockey parent.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Jurco got his first, and the kids get more NHL experience.

Really wish the team displayed more effort, though. There were some defensive gaps that were so glaring, *I* could have skated through them and put a shot on Mrazek.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
This game pissed me off. I expected a loss. I also expected we'd at least work hard. I was really wrong.

I expected that we'd be there plugging away and that the youth would make a few mistakes that would give the Ducks some goals. But I would have been OK with it since at least they were trying. Like when Tatar brings the puck into the zone and tries stick handling through 3 defenders and eventually coughs it up. Not ideal at all but you give him points for trying to make something happen and hope he learns something from it.

But this game is where the only veterans left on the team took a giant **** in the middle of Joe Louis. Kronwall? ****. What the **** is he doing? Datsyuk? Where? Did he even play? Alfie? Did he play too? Bertuzzi? Ericsson?

They knew they were beat before the puck even dropped. What kind of leadership is that? Kronwall just stood there while his man scored. Ericsson couldn't complete a pass to a teammate to save his soul. Kindl couldn't touch the puck more than once without turning it over.

Say what you want about Cleary, he may suck but at least he's trying. And he tried himself into a goal and good for him.

This pisses me off. There's no shame in losing but there's a ton of shame in not even trying.

Aug 6, 2012
Well Mrazek once again played well and Jurco got his 1st goal and looked good.

I'm hoping they give Marchenko a shot noe that Q will be out for a bit... I forgot what having a right-handed defenseman feels like.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I still don't know why they aren't giving Ferraro a shot. Sheahan hasn't impressed me in any game he has played in Detroit so far. Glad to see Jurco get a goal, really hoping he is in the starting lineup next year, and hell, if we could get rid of some fowards I wouldn't mind seeing him finish the year up in Detroit.

Expected a loss to Anaheim though, really good team in the West. Hoping we can squeak out a win against Calgary in two nights.... not holding my breath though.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I still don't know why they aren't giving Ferraro a shot. Sheahan hasn't impressed me in any game he has played in Detroit so far. Glad to see Jurco get a goal, really hoping he is in the starting lineup next year, and hell, if we could get rid of some fowards I wouldn't mind seeing him finish the year up in Detroit.

Expected a loss to Anaheim though, really good team in the West. Hoping we can squeak out a win against Calgary in two nights.... not holding my breath though.

I believe they see ferraro as a bottom 6 winger up in the nhl. And we have plenty of those right now. Unortunately he is actual fast and could produce something unlike our "real gud" bottom 6 vets.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I was busy, so after the first I just shut off the game. Embarrassing to watch. I was real excited for Jurco's first goal though. Looks like he could be up for another 3-5 games.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
This is a tough stretch but hopefully when the pre-Winter Classic IR crew comes back...I'd expect some improvement. I think we're in for another rough week or so until that happens. Monster can't do it all...this team needs Howard back. DeKeyser is such a key part of the defense and I can't say enough about what Hank means to the team. Take the top scorer off any team and tell me how well you'd think they'd do.

Oct 18, 2006
On Jurco. "I thought he was fine,†coach Mike Babcock said. “I think when you bring up kids and you talk about they were fine, that’s because your expectation is such that they can catch your eye. But we got to be better as a group across the board.’’

What is this idiot on about?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
The #2 NHL team against a severely depleted Red Wings team that lost a D 14 minutes in. This could have gone worst than it did.

Jurco is showing some promise, but that yound D core is showing its age. Hopefully Thursday will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad