News Article: Wings Travel Fewest Miles-17 B2Bs?

Actual Thought*

The Wings have the fewest miles to travel this year but they have 17 back to back games up from 12 last year. Does anyone else think all the back to backs lessen the quality of the NHL product? Could the additional fatigue contribute to injuries? I don't have the numbers but it seems like the number of back to backs is way up from what it used to be. Does anyone know what pre realignment averages were? Is an increased # of back to back games worse than the additional travel when we were in the west?
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/07/detroit_red_wings_to_travel_th.html

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Imo, it's always better to have this new Division formation. Detroit is located kind of perfectly in that formation.

To be at East or West, doesn't matter, like Nashville having quite easy travel now at Central Division. We would have same, if we would be at current Central.

Also wouldn't mind those back-to-backs, in reality. It's not an advantage, but a disadvantage either.

Ok, we have 17 of them.

3 of back-to-backs are games, where also another team is having a back-to-back.

So there's only 14 games, where we are the less rested team.

And, there's 10 games, where Red Wings are the more rested team and our opposite team is having a back-to-back.

So our back-to-back plus/minus is -4 games, not ideal, but with least traveling, this schedule should be fine to handle.

Also, Western Canada trip almost at the season start is always better to have there than at the middle of the season. Only really tough trip on the Western coast happens in january, which is also a tough part of the season.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Imo, it's always better to have this new Division formation. Detroit is located kind of perfectly in that formation.

To be at East or West, doesn't matter, like Nashville having quite easy travel now at Central Division. We would have same, if we would be at current Central.

Also wouldn't mind those back-to-backs, in reality. It's not an advantage, but a disadvantage either.

Ok, we have 17 of them.

And, there's 10 games, where Red Wings are the more rested team and our opposite team is having a back-to-back.

So our back-to-back plus/minus is -4 games, not ideal, but with least traveling, this schedule should be fine to handle.

Also, Western Canada trip almost at the season start is always better to have there than at the middle of the season. Only really tough trip on the Western coast happens in january, which is also a tough part of the season.

Nice little break down to put it in perspective. Me as a fan, I love back to backs because I can never get enough hockey and hate waiting to see the team play becuase I'm impatient haha.

Actual Thought*

Ok, we have 17 of them.

Nice perspective. I just wonder if it reduces the overall quality of NHL hockey because you are watching gassed teams playing a lot of nights.

Nice little break down to put it in perspective. Me as a fan, I love back to backs because I can never get enough hockey and hate waiting to see the team play becuase I'm impatient haha.

I like having B2B games to watch as well. I just wonder if the overall product is diminished as a result.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nice perspective. I just wonder if it reduces the overall quality of NHL hockey because you are watching gassed teams playing a lot of nights.

I think it damages the product and puts the players at a higher risk of injury. An article came out around the NBA finals talking about Lebron James and how sports doctors were amazed at how he went out and played so many minutes in such a condensed schedule and maintained his level of play. If I remember right, there was some talk in there about the increase of injury rates when recovery time was decreased, effects of travel, etc..

Here's the article. Have to think the Wings having to travel to California every spring really did a number on their playoff chances.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I'm more curious about whether the number of miles traveled really effects the team at all. Is there really any difference between flying to Florida or flying to California? Does a few extra hours of sleep on a luxury plane make the slightest difference to the players?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm more curious about whether the number of miles traveled really effects the team at all. Is there really any difference between flying to Florida or flying to California? Does a few extra hours of sleep on a luxury plane make the slightest difference to the players?

Well, the difference is time zones, and one of the links in the article I posted was about the effect of crossing time zones. It's far easier to travel to Florida than to California.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Well, the difference is time zones, and one of the links in the article I posted was about the effect of crossing time zones. It's far easier to travel to Florida than to California.

While I'm no expert, I can say as an airline pilot that time changes less than 5 hours really don't have that much of an impact on me personally if I don't have anything scheduled that would disrupt my circadian rhythm.

Meaning if I go from LA to NY and gain three hours but have to show up to work at 5pm, then my body can rest without missing a beat. It's When I have to be awoken in the morning, and break my sleep cycle, where it becomes an issue.

If the Wings have a flight, then play a matinee game at 12 or 2 that's when I think the issue of rest comes into play. I also know that some players choose to sleep on the plane and I think that can definitely have a negative impact too.

Again that's me personally though

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
While I'm no expert, I can say as an airline pilot that time changes less than 5 hours really don't have that much of an impact on me personally if I don't have anything scheduled that would disrupt my circadian rhythm.

Meaning if I go from LA to NY and gain three hours but have to show up to work at 5pm, then my body can rest without missing a beat. It's When I have to be awoken in the morning, and break my sleep cycle, where it becomes an issue.

If the Wings have a flight, then play a matinee game at 12 or 2 that's when I think the issue of rest comes into play. I also know that some players choose to sleep on the plane and I think that can definitely have a negative impact too.

Again that's me personally though

Well as a pilot I would expect that if you sleep on a plane that it would have a negative effect.:sarcasm:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I can immediately forgive any loss that occurs on the second game of back-to-back games when that second game is played on the road, no questions asked. Those games are predictable enough that I think you have to say that their outcomes have little to do with whatever teams are involved. So, eliminating back-to-back games when that second game is a road game is the biggest step.

You brought up mileage. You know, the last realignment was set for three years, but I think it will go until the 2017-18 expansion, if it happens. If that is the case, and no teams have been relocated from east to west in the interim, then, once again, Detroit, being so far west, will likely be targeted as the eastern team that should play in a western conference. If that happens, Detroit will again be the team traveling the most miles, just as it was for years before.

Detroit is at 83.0458 west. Columbus is at 82.9833 west. If you like math, that's a difference of 0.0625: not a significant difference. However, when you consider that Columbus is more centrally located than Detroit in relation to north and south, and more centrally located than Detroit in relation to the layout of NHL teams, if Columbus moved to the western conference instead of Detroit, then Columbus would end up traveling less miles than Detroit would in a western conference, as a result. And that's an argument that we need to start making now.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You brought up mileage. You know, the last realignment was set for three years, but I think it will go until the 2017-18 expansion, if it happens. If that is the case, and no teams have been relocated from east to west in the interim, then, once again, Detroit, being so far west, will likely be targeted as the eastern team that should play in a western conference. If that happens, Detroit will again be the team traveling the most miles, just as it was for years before.

I just calculated those distances at Central, and Columbus would have less air miles than Detroit (with a slight margin), even if we are more west pure geographically. It comes from the more southern position, other teams at west are located more south and it will put Columbus nearer in reality.

But I don't really see this as a concern anymore like it was. If we have this current Division system, and play only most against the Central and a lot less against Pacific and avoid playoff rounds at Pacific for first 1-2 round, it would be ok for me.

Last edited:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I just calculated those distances at Central, and Columbus would have less air miles than Detroit (with a slight margin), even if we are more west pure geographically. It comes from the more southern position, other teams at west are located more south and it will put Columbus nearer in reality.

But I don't really see this as a concern anymore like it was. If we have this current Division system, and play only most against the Central and a lot less against Pacific and avoid playoff rounds at Pacific for first 1-2 round, it would be ok for me.

Yep, Columbus would travel fewer miles than Detroit in a western conference even though Columbus is slightly further east. I looked into it back when the realignment happened.

I also calculated how many fewer late games Detroit plays now that it is in an eastern conference, and it is a pretty significant number. Maybe not so much to the players, but definitely to the fans who want to follow the team on television as it travels. Especially so, school age fans with early bedtimes. I would guess that also has some effect on revenue ultimately.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I also calculated how many fewer late games Detroit plays now that it is in an eastern conference, and it is a pretty significant number. Maybe not so much to the players, but definitely to the fans who want to follow the team on television as it travels. Especially so, school age fans with early bedtimes. I would guess that also has some effect on revenue ultimately.

Is that 1h difference meaningless down there, how does it feel?

Like in Finland, our FEL games also start very early here, always at 6:30 pm. I've always felt that's too early, but I don't have any young children...

Damn, Michigan should change their time zone. :sarcasm:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Is that 1h difference meaningless down there, how does it feel?

Like in Finland, our FEL games also start very early here, always at 6:30 pm. I've always felt that's too early, but I don't have any young children...

Damn, Michigan should change their time zone. :sarcasm:

No, it often turns out to be more than a one hour difference, actually, because there are three other time zones between us and the west coast of the continent. Typically, games in Detroit start at 7pm or 7:30pm. So, if they are playing in the next time zone over, say in Chicago, it's a one hour difference. If they are playing in Colorado, two time zones over, then there is a two hour difference, and if they are playing in Vancouver, three time zones over, then there is a three hour difference. So, when they are on the west coast, the games don't air here until 10pm or 10:30pm. Playing in Phoenix, Calgary or Edmonton, the games start at 9pm to 9:30pm in Detroit, and that's still pretty late.

When it is just a one hour difference, it isn't so bad. Of course, they can still feel pretty late for many people, I'm sure, when overtime happens.

You also mentioned the flip side of the issue: how early the games come on for west coast fans when their teams are playing in the east. Those games would start at 4pm or 4:30pm for them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad