Confirmed with Link: Wings trade Andreas Athanasiou to Edmonton

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Or it was just a risk they were willing to take. No trade is guaranteed to work out.

True. I still feel like the difference between planning on the guy being in your top 6 getting PP time and within a few games ending up on your bottom line with none is a pretty stark difference.

Tatar didn't work out in Vegas, but it wasn't like Legwand or AA. These are two guys that crashed immediately and the coach gave up on fast when things got tight. With that short a leash, how enthusiastic could they have been to acquire said player? To me, that says, not super interested?

The upside for AA is that he's an RFA and there's still time for him. His awful performance in Detroit and Edmonton will make contract negotiations a lot easier. With a new contract settled, he can focus on his game next year when the team isn't imminently fighting for playoff position.

But as a rental, boosting scoring this year, it's been about as bad as it could go for them. I was never high on AA, everyone knows that, but even I expected him to have a presence on the 2nd PP unit and chip in some points.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Tatar didn't work out in Vegas, but it wasn't like Legwand or AA. These are two guys that crashed immediately and the coach gave up on fast when things got tight.

It wasn't?

Legwand had 1G and 3A in his first 5 games as a Red Wing, 2G and 5A in his first 10, and 3G and 7A in 15 and it was after that that Babcock decided to go with guys like Helm, Glendening and Sheahan at his bottom 6 C spots and relegated Legwand to a spot on wing. He still played in all 5 of the Wings playoff games.

Tatar on the other hand had 1G and 0A in his first 5 with Vegas, 1G and 1A in his first 10, and 3G and 1A in 15 and was then a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs.

Legwand at least got off the ground before he crashed... Tatar didn't even get going with Vegas.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Legwand at least got off the ground before he crashed... Tatar didn't even get going with Vegas.

Good call. I totally spaced out Tatar got benched entirely. I thought he was still skating in the playoffs and taking PP time. Looking back at the game log, I probably watched the one game he got 18 minutes... due to OT.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
It wasn't?

Legwand had 1G and 3A in his first 5 games as a Red Wing, 2G and 5A in his first 10, and 3G and 7A in 15 and it was after that that Babcock decided to go with guys like Helm, Glendening and Sheahan at his bottom 6 C spots and relegated Legwand to a spot on wing. He still played in all 5 of the Wings playoff games.

Tatar on the other hand had 1G and 0A in his first 5 with Vegas, 1G and 1A in his first 10, and 3G and 1A in 15 and was then a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs.

Yeah Legwand was a Babcock special. Arrived with one of the best seasons of his career. Did pretty well in an injury riddled line up. Gelled well-ish with Franzen, and after 2 bad games he was suddenly a 4th line winger and his career was all but over. But then Babcock has been outed as a narcissist who likes to put guys in their place if they aren't his favourites. His sudden banishing of Weiss when Weiss had got fit and was playing decent hockey killed Weiss's career too. Babs takes a % of the blame of the failed Holland trades in the 2010's

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Yeah Legwand was a Babcock special. Arrived with one of the best seasons of his career. Did pretty well in an injury riddled line up. Gelled well-ish with Franzen, and after 2 bad games he was suddenly a 4th line winger and his career was all but over. But then Babcock has been outed as a narcissist who likes to put guys in their place if they aren't his favourites. His sudden banishing of Weiss when Weiss had got fit and was playing decent hockey killed Weiss's career too. Babs takes a % of the blame of the failed Holland trades in the 2010's
He also did a similar thing to Modano.

Reactions: lomekian

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
So far this guy stinks ! Steve pulled a fast one. How can you guys do that to Holland, your old buddy ? We should get a 2nd back. Be morally responsible....

So far I can see everybody stinks on your roster except the 2 big dogs.

You have 2 players with 110 and 100 points, then you have one with 66, then the next man is 33. It seems to me nobody produces except those 2.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
So far I can see everybody stinks on your roster except the 2 big dogs.

You have 2 players with 110 and 100 points, then you have one with 66, then the next man is 33. It seems to me nobody produces except those 2.
Tell me about it. That's why we threw down high picks to get a top six guy. We didnt mean an original 6 guy !!!!!

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Tell me about it. That's why we threw down high picks to get a top six guy. We didnt mean an original 6 guy !!!!!
The coach and the team have to figure out how to do it.

We had a kid Yzerman back in the day who had a 155 point season.

Bowman wanted to ship him out of town because he meant that he had to change the game so that the team wins in playoffs.

I am not sure if Tippett is big enough to handle the situation.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

This was why I wasn't a fan of the Weiss buyout happening when it did.

The guy was at a 39-40pt. pace, while averaging less 5v5 ice time than Joakim Andersson (ranked 13th among forwards who had been with the team since the beginning of the season), spent mostly with Riley Sheahan and a rotating cast mostly consisting of Pulkkinen, Helm, Glendening and Andersson, and some PP time (again mostly with Sheahan) where he was just as if not more productive than a handful of guys that got more regular PP time there.

I figured that based on that, they'd give him a chance to hit the reset button with Blashill before considering a buyout.

I mean, could it have been any worse than the lauded Brad Richards signing that followed? Guy was less of a factor overall, despite spending most of the season stapled to Datsyuk at 5v5 and especially the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad