Post-Game Talk: Wings @ Sens

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Borowiecki played half of what Corvo played; how does this happen?
Boro isn't the answer but is better than Corvo.

Also Ceci and Wideman.

When you're trailing for the entire game, Corvo is going to get more ice time. If your up in the game Boro will see more ice time.

How do you not see the relationship?

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
It's impossible to blame any individual players on the team. They're just too inexperienced--and in some cases, too incapable--to succeed against good teams. The whole team's in disarray from top to bottom. A few problems:

1. Only two of our defenders look like they can take a regular shift in the NHL at the moment (and one of them wasn't even playing tonight...).

2. Competent players in our bottom six consist of: Zack Smith... no really, that's it.

3. The first PP unit regularly features offensive wizard Chris Phillips.

4. I hear Milan Michalek's name maybe twice a game for the low, low price of $6.00M

5. Melnyk was last seen with both hands stuffed under couch cushions, sweating and swearing profusely while he hunted for loose change in desperation

6. Our PK is dreadful

7. The coaching staff (who are responsible for the PK and PP) are struggling to adapt to our difficult situation and have been making questionable decisions all year.

There's no way you can pin all the blame on one of Spezza, Cowen, Anderson, etc. The entire organization is in bad shape.

As I mentioned in the GDT though, it's very encouraging to see Zibanejad and the Turris line excelling, and EK has been looking better in the defensive zone of late. This may just end up being a development year, in which case I'd like to see the young guys getting more playing time and some of our dead weight (e.g. Condra, Greening, Michalek) jettisoned for picks to facilitate the final stages of the rebuild. I've never been a fan of Conacher either. You need 2 of skill, speed, or size to succeed in the NHL, and Cony doesn't have enough of any of them.

We need more money and a new GM if we're ever going to actually finish this rebuild and become a contender though. Right now, our peak looks like it will be as a cash-strapped middling team. I love Ryan, but it might have been a good idea to keep cheap players in Silf, Noesen, and our first and just wait for a better owner to make a package deal for a star (although guys like Ryan rarely become available). We can't even afford call-ups for goodness' sake.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada

Also Ceci and Wideman.

Ceci is not ready and Wideman will not be an NHLer, I agree Boro is good but he still makes stupid decisions like the 3rd goal. Sadly, Joe Corvo has been one of our better defenseman this year, ain't going nowhere with something like that.

No contender can wish to win the cup with a defense like us. Pathetic season so far, pathetic owner, pathetic effort to win

WhiteLight*

When you're trailing for the entire game, Corvo is going to get more ice time. If your up in the game Boro will see more ice time.

How do you not see the relationship?

So the Sens started the game down 2-0?

I would still play Boro more anyway

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
It's a shame that so many of our players just seem to have fallen off a cliff in terms of performance this year: Greening, Michalek, Phillips, Neil, Anderson and a few more could be argued. All the worst of it is hitting all at once and it shows.

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
Come one man, why wont we call up some of our younger hungry players from bingo and send some down and if they get claimed by another team, oh well.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If Turris was a bit luckier and converted on that backhand with a minute to go and they lucked out in shootout everyone here would've praised the effort and peskiness.

Seriously, aside from a few defensive breakdowns Sens played a good game. Wings didn't have a shot on goal for 17 straight minutes in the third and were dominated for the most part of the second.

This team can be good if they figure out their defensive game.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
This season is TOAST, burnt raisin toast...time to trade vets and give Bingo lads like Pageau a chance to develop.
--> hold onto Anderson (his value will rise when his game returns)
--> trade Spezza asap for 0.8-1 PPG scoring forward and 1st
--> give Michalek away for bag of pucks
--> send Cowen to Bingo asap to develop under Luke

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
If Turris was a bit luckier and converted on that backhand with a minute to go and they lucked out in shootout everyone here would've praised the effort and peskiness.

Seriously, aside from a few defensive breakdowns Sens played a good game. Wings didn't have a shot on goal for 17 straight minutes in the third and were dominated for the most part of the second.

Yeah I like the optimism but at the end of the day we're 9pts out of a playoff spot and we don't have a 1st rounder, we keep talking that if we do this and we do that then we'll be better, but we are almost at the 30 games mark and nothing has changed... I admire your optimism but it's a disappointing season for sure, it's sad really

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago

Its been almost 30 games and we are still having massive breakdowns, this team isn't going to figure it out, just accept it.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I'm tired of peskiness. I want the team to go out and dictate games, not have to play from behind all the damn time.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

Agreed.

It sucks, but this is what happens in a rebuild when your blueline is so young.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Wings scored the first goal halfway through the 2nd.

I don't even care, Corvo is just painful to watch.

Meh...all game over half the game, big deal. Point stands. You'll see more Corvo if we're down.

We also had 4 PP's vs 1 for DET. That's almost 3min for Joe right there.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011

Also Ceci and Wideman.

I like Boro - but he committed high early on that first goal against and set up the 2 on 1. Would have been nice if the forward who was there (not sure who) read what Boro was doing, but alas... anyway - bad play by Boro IMO created that goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad