Post-Game Talk: Wings scored more than the Lions did tonight...

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Better yet, can you imagine Johan Fransson and Johan Franzen in the same draft? Nobody knows whether Green would have been our pick if that trade didn't happen.

Well it was him or Andy Rogers.(yeah I know who the **** is that?) Remember we used to pick so far down the draft back then. Pretty sure it's 50/50 at least.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I hope your sarcastic. Guy should have been playing in the Swedish League a long time ago. He was the last guy picked in the entire draft. Who else were we going to pick?:laugh:

Dunno what you're on about. He's a decent bottom pair defenseman. That's a great pick there. You're getting anything else at the end of the draft. Yea he blows now but that doesn't take away from the value of the pick.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
wings actually played a decent game i thought

sharks puck luck around the net was insane.

wing defense and blashill still sucks though

Not sure I'd call it puck luck. San Jose's style tonight and overall is very interesting. They cycled down low as the bigger stronger team and got the puck to the point. They then got a shot on net and sticks and bodies there. It worked over and over again.

Thought the Nyquist-Larkin-Sheahan line was the worst line on the ice all night. Hope they're leaving Larkin at center all season if that line is going to suck all year.

What happened to all the calls for Mrazek? :laughs:

Yeah, that was rough. Nyquist and Larkin are frustrating to watch. Don't even mention Riley now. Larkin looked really good with that shift with Mantha and Z. Adds speed. Second line is sooo good together. To try something new I'd consider

Nyquist-Z-Mantha
Vanek-Nielsen-AA
Tatar-Larkin-Abdelkader
Miller-Glendening-Ott

Athanasiou 12 points in 25 games playing 12 minutes a night. Very nice.

That benching was a awesome decision by Blash. AA has been trash defensively in the NHL. He wasn't skating, he was missing his assignment defensively and well, was doing nothing. Being a young kid he was sat, and was taught a lesson. He wasn't playing the way he is now prior to the benching.

He had 7 points in 23 games so your argument isn't great. 5 points in 2 games since.

Larkin's also been really poor defensively. I know his vision is not there but I kind of like Abdelkader as a centre. He played it for a tad during the Nyquist explosion season I think it was and was actually fairly solid there.

Dunno what you're on about. He's a decent bottom pair defenseman. That's a great pick there. You're getting anything else at the end of the draft. Yea he blows now but that doesn't take away from the value of the pick.

Jonathan Ericsson has been the second best defenseman this season and had a very stellar 12/13 NHL season. Getting a guy that late to play at all in the top four is a great pick, regardless of his struggles for three NHL seasons.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Mismanaged ice time mismanaged lines. Clear bad goalie who lets awful goals in. He is big body but plays so small. Mrazek sucks now so 4 goals were bad. Then you have interference there was more contacts on that goal then the disallowed goal vs the kings but today's counts?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
People like to rip on Ericsson but that's a dang good draft pick.

He was a good top 4 guy in his prime IMO...it's too bad he has had the back issues and subsequently a bad contract because i've always liked him more than everyone else around here.

If you can turn a last draft pick into a press box king you've done ok. If you can turn a last pick into a servicable D man in the NHL you've done really well.

You can complain that E has been played above his station. You can complain that he makes mistakes from time to time, but that's a phenomenal draft pick.

That benching was a awesome decision by Blash. AA has been trash defensively in the NHL. He wasn't skating, he was missing his assignment defensively and well, was doing nothing. Being a young kid he was sat, and was taught a lesson. He wasn't playing the way he is now prior to the benching.
insert 100 emoji here

Last edited:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I hope your sarcastic. Guy should have been playing in the Swedish League a long time ago. He was the last guy picked in the entire draft. Who else were we going to pick?:laugh:

He's not wrong. This board is absurdly tough on a player who exceeded expectations.

He's probably Detroit's second best defenseman this year. He's legit playing like a top four defenseman too. He would be a fantastic #5. It's too bad our defense as a whole sucks compared to the league.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I always ask my wife "3 goals, guess who scored" and she says Vanek, Mantha, Athanasiou. And it's always right.

Do we even have any more scorers on the team?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

you do realize there's tons of eligible players every year that don't get drafted at all right?

it's not some thing where if someone is the last guy picked in the draft they are literally the only option you have left which is kind of the vibe i'm getting from this post :laugh:

anyways anyone that ends up in the NHL at all is a great pick for that late,it's all about expectations(kinda like the inverse of how most people would be disappointed if a 1st overall "only" turned into a solid top 6 guy)

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

He had 7 points in 23 games so your argument isn't great. 5 points in 2 games since.

I wish all players on the team would be taught lessons when they stink. Miller, Glendening, Sheahan, etc.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Too bad that scoring sensation Sheahan could not get a goal on that PP late in the game. :sarcasm::facepalm:

TOI
Z was first, but looked liked he was gassed all game long with 18:20
Mantha 2nd with 17:43
Nielsen 3rd with 16:57
Sheahan 4th with 16:38

Sheahan scored his first goal. It was the wrong goal though.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
+/- is an irrelevant stat

Depends how it's being used, if you're talking about a 4th liner who isn't expect to score, yeah - it doesn't matter. But for a guy like Sheahan who is supposed to be defensively responsible and chip in a goal here or there? It can look worse.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Tell that to the NHL .

They spend a lot of time and effort keeping track of who was on the ice .
I sent them an email. And for example why its not good. Ozgood lets a goal in from center ice everyone gets a -1. Lidstrom's stick breaks on the power play leading to a breakaway. Everyone gets a -1. It is a joke stat. How about the people who get off the ice right before the goal goes in.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It was awesome that Athanasiou was stapled to the bench for large chunks of the third and then as soon as he was put back on the ice he scored a goal. I selfishly want Blashill to coach again next year so we have better odds at drafting Dahlen. :yo:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I sent them an email. And for example why its not good. Ozgood lets a goal in from center ice everyone gets a -1. Lidstrom's stick breaks on the power play leading to a breakaway. Everyone gets a -1. It is a joke stat. How about the people who get off the ice right before the goal goes in.

Over the course of the season, at least for the guys playing regularly, I think those freak things even out. I agree that +/- isn't the most useful stat, but I don't think it's entirely useless. I think it can become more useful when paired with stats that look at what competition guys go up against, zone starts, etc. I mean, if a guy spends the majority of his game starting in his own zone against much higher competition but can manage to hang on to a +/- near even, he's doing something right - or at least he's not screwing up. If he's starting in the offensive zone against lesser competition but somehow consistently ends up a negative, then there's a problem going on there somewhere.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Right, because a player just accidentally ends up a -16.

Sheahan is 3rd worst in the entire league in +/-. He has zero goals. He looks bad defensively. It's not a fluke. He's having a very rough season.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It's a baffling situation, Blashill keeps talking about the 'process', I am so confused as to what he sees in Sheahan that no one else does.

It's awesome, Athanasiou gets benched/scratched routinely and Riley just gets to play big minutes. It's pretty clear Blashill has no idea what he's doing. Let's keep him around for one more year to increase our odds of winning the 2018 draft lottery. :popcorn:

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Right, because a player just accidentally ends up a -16.

Sheahan is 3rd worst in the entire league in +/-. He has zero goals. He looks bad defensively. It's not a fluke. He's having a very rough season.

Shehan sucks as much as +- sucks as a stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad