Post-Game Talk: Wings scored more than the Lions did tonight...

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
gonna be hard for any center to stand out when you are flanked by two players that haven't scored a goal in 20+ games

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
AA 2 more points, 5 in 2 games. Deserved that 3rd period benching.

Mantha with yet another goal.

Inching closer to a top 5 pick.

Great night.

WHAT are you talking about "deserved that benching"?

AA was +2, Nielsen and Vanek +1 and +2, Larkin-2, Mantha even.

Jesus, pick on someone else, you have lots to choose from.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Haha, just ran a lottery simulation, where the Islanders moved up to 3rd, the Devils moved up to 2nd, and the Wings got the #1 pick.

Man, that would be a really raw deal for Colorado and Arizona, after how this season is going for those two teams.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Haha, just ran a lottery simulation, where the Islanders moved up to 3rd, the Devils moved up to 2nd, and the Wings got the #1 pick.

Man, that would be a really raw deal for Colorado and Arizona, after how this season is going for those two teams.

I think I'd live.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
:laugh: That was one of the most embarrassing games of the season. So were the Wings decent before or after it was 5-1? A few good shifts by Nielsen, Vanek, and AA doesn't make up for how awfully outmatched the Wings were the entire game. San Jose is just on totally different level of hockey.

Holland has an excuse to make 0 changes for the next season and beyond though- injuries! I do agree Green is a heavy loss and Abdelkader+Helm no doubt add some strength but Smith and Kronwall (I am sorry to say) hurt us at times- they aren't missed. The Wings would have a few more points if healthy but not enough to tip any scales. Injuries are usually irrelevant because depth is supposed to carry a team for a while. Holland wanted to remain competitive while getting younger. The "competitve" part is proving to be a massive fail, let's focus on getting younger.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
**** are you kidding me? Looking over the last drafts since 2000 and that Lang trade ended up burning us giving up that 1st round pick 2004. Mike Green was our pick. Green coulda been a Red Wing.:amazed: Can you imagine?? Lids Raffi Kronwall Green Stuart on the championship year teams 2007-2009?.:amazed::amazed::amazed: Backend woulda went from ridiculous to ludicrous.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Thought the Nyquist-Larkin-Sheahan line was the worst line on the ice all night. Hope they're leaving Larkin at center all season if that line is going to suck all year.

What happened to all the calls for Mrazek? :laughs:

Yes we all saw that. I mean really, really bad. Shockingly bad. Scattered, penned in, every single battle lost. Men vs. boys. There aren't even answers a game like this feels so hopeless.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I thought we deserved better in this one. San Jose seemed to score everytime they entered the o-zone. We probably created as many if not more quality chances.

Wrong decision to go with Coreau. Not that Mrazek was amazing, but Blashill really needs to let Mraz TRY to get his form back.

AA has been off-the-charts amazing the last 2 games. He's making so many fantastic plays on both sides of the puck. Really happy he's being rewarded with points.

Mantha's continuing his fantastic play. Noticeable almost every shift out there. Breaking plays up defensively, making slick passes, creating offensive chances. His positioning is terrific. It's sometimes almost heartbreaking to see him in perfect scoring position and the other guys just can't see it. Nyquist was fumbling around with the puck on the PP for 10 seconds instead of setting Mantha up for a one-time in the slot.

Larkin is really weak in the d-zone and needs to learn how to slow down and stay in lanes. But overall he's playing well. Thought he had a number of great shifts tonight.

Overall, I'd say this is the way I'd want to lose if we're going to be losing. Decent entertainment, some great performances by youngsters.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Detroit is drafting 4th right now. If NYI get 1 point in either of their next two games, it'll be 3rd. Tank on.

Exactly. Just face reality, the playoffs aren't really a realistic hope this year. Might as well give the team a chance to gain Patrick even, if they get low enough and have lottery luck. But even Liljegren or the other high ranked players would be great. That will help the team going forward more than anything.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

If the Wings are really bad and in the lottery the Wings will "get lucky" and the NHL will reward them with the #1 pick. ;)

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Hey everybody guess who's the only player from the 9th round in 2002 draft still playing in the NHL?
You guessed it.
Jonathan Ericsson:handclap:
Way to go Big E! Every other team had enough sense to move on from their picks.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Hey everybody guess who's the only player from the 9th round 2002 draft still playing in the NHL?
You guessed it.
Jonathan Ericsson:handclap:
Way to go Big E! Every other team had enough sense to move on from their picks.

People like to rip on Ericsson but that's a dang good draft pick.

He was a good top 4 guy in his prime IMO...it's too bad he has had the back issues and subsequently a bad contract because i've always liked him more than everyone else around here.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think playing Nielsen with Vanek is a great thing. I imagine they keep each other sane in a sense- someone who's on your level. They don't give up even when a game like this is far, far out of reach. I notice the same thing from Mantha and Athanasiou, I get the impression they're less effected by loss's and the possibility of the streak ending. This is a huge moment for them to step up and stake their claim. I bet all Detroit prospects are buzzing with ideas watching the Wings falter this season..

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I thought we deserved better in this one. San Jose seemed to score everytime they entered the o-zone. We probably created as many if not more quality chances.

Wrong decision to go with Coreau. Not that Mrazek was amazing, but Blashill really needs to let Mraz TRY to get his form back.

AA has been off-the-charts amazing the last 2 games. He's making so many fantastic plays on both sides of the puck. Really happy he's being rewarded with points.

Mantha's continuing his fantastic play. Noticeable almost every shift out there. Breaking plays up defensively, making slick passes, creating offensive chances. His positioning is terrific. It's sometimes almost heartbreaking to see him in perfect scoring position and the other guys just can't see it. Nyquist was fumbling around with the puck on the PP for 10 seconds instead of setting Mantha up for a one-time in the slot.

Larkin is really weak in the d-zone and needs to learn how to slow down and stay in lanes. But overall he's playing well. Thought he had a number of great shifts tonight.

Overall, I'd say this is the way I'd want to lose if we're going to be losing. Decent entertainment, some great performances by youngsters.

That was so ****ing frustrating, then he skated in turned around and did jack ****. He ****ing stared down Mantha too, just decided not to pass.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Athanasiou 12 points in 25 games playing 12 minutes a night. Very nice.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
People like to rip on Ericsson but that's a dang good draft pick.

He was a good top 4 guy in his prime IMO...it's too bad he has had the back issues and subsequently a bad contract because i've always liked him more than everyone else around here.

I hope your sarcastic. Guy should have been playing in the Swedish League a long time ago. He was the last guy picked in the entire draft. Who else were we going to pick?:laugh:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
**** are you kidding me? Looking over the last drafts since 2000 and that Lang trade ended up burning us giving up that 1st round pick 2004. Mike Green was our pick. Green coulda been a Red Wing.:amazed: Can you imagine?? Lids Raffi Kronwall Green Stuart on the championship year teams 2007-2009?.:amazed::amazed::amazed: Backend woulda went from ridiculous to ludicrous.

Better yet, can you imagine Johan Fransson and Johan Franzen in the same draft? Nobody knows whether Green would have been our pick if that trade didn't happen.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Would be amazing if that happened to Colorado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad