Post-Game Talk: Wings scored more than the Lions did tonight...

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The thing about Sheahan is that prior to this season at the very least he was a useful player to have on the team, even if he didn't live up to his first round status.

He started off rough last season IIRC but still managed to finish with 15 goals. And that was seen as a down season for him. In his first 2 seasons in the NHL with extended playing time (121 games total) he played at a 41 point/82 game pace!! As a center! Man, things have fallen off fast for him.

Now that I don't care about the Wings making the playoffs, I kind of hope he finishes the season goal-less. If only to show how dopey of a coach Blashill is for continuing to play him big minutes.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
People like to rip on Ericsson but that's a dang good draft pick.

He was a good top 4 guy in his prime IMO...it's too bad he has had the back issues and subsequently a bad contract because i've always liked him more than everyone else around here.

Exactly. People blame Ericsson for being put on the top pairing when the proper person to blame is Ken Holland for his awful defenses.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Could've really used a McDavid or Matthews this draft, eh? ('Cause the Wings will win the draft lottery).

As someone whose most tinfoilest of all tinfoil hat conspiracy theories is that Bettman hates Detroit and does things specifically to spite them, not only do I think there's no chance Detroit wins the draft lottery, I think there a 100% chance they get bumped down the draft by someone behind them getting a top pick.

And I'd bet you it's Toronto (with odds, of course. ;) ).

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I sent them an email. And for example why its not good. Ozgood lets a goal in from center ice everyone gets a -1. Lidstrom's stick breaks on the power play leading to a breakaway. Everyone gets a -1. It is a joke stat. How about the people who get off the ice right before the goal goes in.

How about the people who get on the ice right as the goal goes in?

The thing with stats is they have to be contextualized, understood, and applied within reason.

If fluke occurrences are enough to dissuade you from taking a stat serious, you're going to generally have a problem with stats, not just plus minus.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The thing about Sheahan is that prior to this season at the very least he was a useful player to have on the team, even if he didn't live up to his first round status.

He started off rough last season IIRC but still managed to finish with 15 goals. And that was seen as a down season for him. In his first 2 seasons in the NHL with extended playing time (121 games total) he played at a 41 point/82 game pace!! As a center! Man, things have fallen off fast for him.

Now that I don't care about the Wings making the playoffs, I kind of hope he finishes the season goal-less. If only to show how dopey of a coach Blashill is for continuing to play him big minutes.

Sheahan sucks this season, but I don't think he's a bust. I think he's a bust as much as Larkin is this season. Both will eventually bounce back.

I think even Nyquist and Tatar will eventually bounce back. I do not think Detroit is a good team by any means, but I do not think they are this bad. I think this season is a fluke (the perfect storm of everyone having down seasons). The should be a middle of the pack 12 to 18 team in the league.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Sheahan sucks this season, but I don't think he's a bust. I think he's a bust as much as Larkin is this season. Both will eventually bounce back.

I think even Nyquist and Tatar will eventually bounce back. I do not think Detroit is a good team by any means, but I do not think they are this bad. I think this season is a fluke (the perfect storm of everyone having down seasons). The should be a middle of the pack 12 to 18 team in the league.

What exactly is Sheahan bouncing back to? He has 36 goals in 243 games and is -19 for his career. Sheahan has amounted to nothing in his NHL career and I hope we move on from him after this season.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
What exactly is Sheahan bouncing back to? He has 36 goals in 243 games and is -19 for his career. Sheahan has amounted to nothing in his NHL career and I hope we move on from him after this season.

Riley Sheahan was pretty much a .50 PPG for his career with Mike Babcock. He's had quality years. Let's not forget, heading into last year we all had the hopes that he'd turn into our number 2 centre.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Riley Sheahan was pretty much a .50 PPG for his career with Mike Babcock. He's had quality years. Let's not forget, heading into last year we all had the hopes that he'd turn into our number 2 centre.
I suppose some fans did. Others saw him as a very unremarkable and replaceable cog. Not as bad as this season indicates, but nowhere near a #2 center on a good team.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah, I do think he'd be a good winger if used properly. So many guys on this roster have seen their careers tank the past two years. It's tough to blame every single guy for being bad. If that's the case Mike Babcock truly is one of the greatest coaches of all time to get that many guys who are this bad to play as well as they did before he left.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Yeah, I do think he'd be a good winger if used properly. So many guys on this roster have seen their careers tank the past two years. It's tough to blame every single guy for being bad. If that's the case Mike Babcock truly is one of the greatest coaches of all time to get that many guys who are this bad to play as well as they did before he left.

I think he's better in the middle than he is on the wing. Just do his thing defensively, battle on the boards a tad and let the puck possession guys do their job. Try him with Tats again or something.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Yeah I do remember some folks using the 2nd line center upside. But I do think the majority (large majority) of fans viewed him as becoming a top 3rd line center in the NHL.

Sheahan is the official whipping boy right now, and rightfully so. But I do think people are being extra, extra negative about the quality of player Sheahan truly is.

The entire roster is playing below their potential this season. I'm the first to bash Tatar and Nyquist, but I do not think they are as bad as they're playing either. The big issue I have with them is they are one dimensional and redundant soft euros.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah I do remember some folks using the 2nd line center upside. But I do think the majority (large majority) of fans viewed him as becoming a top 3rd line center in the NHL.

Sheahan is the official whipping boy right now, and rightfully so. But I do think people are being extra, extra negative about the quality of player Sheahan truly is.

The entire roster is playing below their potential this season. I'm the first to bash Tatar and Nyquist, but I do not think they are as bad as they're playing either. The big issue I have with them is they are one dimensional and redundant soft euros.
Sounds an awful lot like the Don Cherry school of thought. I'm pretty sure this franchise has won multiple championships with "soft euros" leading the way.

I'll agree that the play of Tatar and Nyquist hasn't helped anything this year, but it has nothing to do with their country of origin.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I sent them an email. And for example why its not good. Ozgood lets a goal in from center ice everyone gets a -1. Lidstrom's stick breaks on the power play leading to a breakaway. Everyone gets a -1. It is a joke stat. How about the people who get off the ice right before the goal goes in.

Was Sheahan on the ice on all 3 occasions?:sarcasm::laugh:

Come man, the opposite happens too.
One shift, one period, one game, yes. But over 40/80 games it says something.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Watching the Vanek to Nils to Mantha weak side goal made the game worth watching.

Our youth on D got man handled in front of the net.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Watching the Vanek to Nils to Mantha weak side goal made the game worth watching.

Our youth on D got man handled in front of the net.

Eh what? That was AA with that goal. Mantha got the one off a Miller shot rebounding to the hashmarks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad