Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

Oct 18, 2006
Watching yesterday game between Denver and Broncos . First of all Broncos is the most popular Denver team, so it's kinda sounds strange.
Buium needs to step up , at the moment guy who was drafted after him playing more mature game.
Tuomisto did not improve his skating , don't see him in NHL.
Mazur looks very good , somehow give me Bert vibes, playing hard and very good hockey iq
Sad to hear. Tuomisto felt like a big reach at the time, and does even more so now.

Reactions: Go Wings and lilidk

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
bigtime snipe by Buium to give Denver the lead in the 3rd

I'm unreasonably enthusiastic about this Buium guy. Big, smooth skater. Seems like the kind of guy who would have some physical edge to his game. And he's got some offensive swagger.

I know he was taken too late enough in the draft to be a shoe-in, but in my version of the future, he's paired with Seider in a few years.

Reactions: raymond23

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm unreasonably enthusiastic about this Buium guy. Big, smooth skater. Seems like the kind of guy who would have some physical edge to his game. And he's got some offensive swagger.

I know he was taken too late enough in the draft to be a shoe-in, but in my version of the future, he's paired with Seider in a few years.
I thought he was taking too early and we lost enother pick to get him. To early to judge this pick

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Eh...I'm luke warm on Buium. We're fortunate that college allows for us to slow roll him for 4 years but I still think that there are probably 5 or 6 other guys in that 2nd round I would have taken before him that are all doing really well this season.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I thought he was taking too early and we lost enother pick to get him. To early to judge this pick
Eh...I'm luke warm on Buium. We're fortunate that college allows for us to slow roll him for 4 years but I still think that there are probably 5 or 6 other guys in that 2nd round I would have taken before him that are all doing really well this season.

He's like another Wallinder. Great physical tools. Give him some time to figure it out and see what he looks like in a year or 2.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He's like another Wallinder. Great physical tools. Give him some time to figure it out and see what he looks like in a year or 2.

That's why I said I'm luke warm on him. The tools that Wallinder has are superior to Buium, though. Wallinder's skating is next level and his shot is great from anywhere in the offensive zone. I think he's got the potential to be a #2 to #4 defender. I don't know if Buium's potential is anywhere near as high.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Buium has a lot going for him, but I don't think posters appreciate how incomplete his game actually is. It is hard to describe him without using the word "raw." He is a solid skater moving forward but is not a particularly good four-way skater and it really impacts his ability to defend. I like him though with the puck on is stick (especially in the offensive zone) and I really like the physical tools he has. He is a very solid prospect but that doesn't mean that people should be penciling him into future Wings lineups.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

Weird you say that, I don't see much resemblance. The thing with Wallinder has always been that he isnt very psychical

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That's why I said I'm luke warm on him. The tools that Wallinder has are superior to Buium, though. Wallinder's skating is next level and his shot is great from anywhere in the offensive zone. I think he's got the potential to be a #2 to #4 defender. I don't know if Buium's potential is anywhere near as high.

Buium is not purely a tools pick the way that Wallinder was. If anything the best part of his game is between his ears in the offensive zone. They strike me as very different players for what little that is worth.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Weird you say that, I don't much resemblance. The thing with Wallinder has always been that he isnt very psychical

When I get home, I will read you some notes from the 2021 Black Book on Buium.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Isn't Buium a relatively late forward-to-defense convert? He's always it seems been described as a raw project with good offensive instincts, in a big body.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Buium is not purely a tools pick the way that Wallinder was. If anything the best part of his game is between his ears in the offensive zone. They strike me as very different players for what little that is worth.

They are very different players for sure. The one part of Buium's game that I do really appreciate is how well he's able to hold the offensive blueline and send the puck back in deep to keep a cycle alive. It's a very underrated skill of his. Between the two Wallinder is still figuring that part out.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Isn't Buium a relatively late forward-to-defense convert? He's always it seems been described as a raw project with good offensive instincts, in a big body.
I believe he is in process of learning how to play defense, he is in the perfect spot for his development

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

hockeyprospect.com had Buium ranked 33rd in 2021, and Wallinder ranked 45h in 2020. They gave Buium a higher mark in everything but skating.

Here are some notes from the 2021 Black Book:

"Buium is an offensive defenseman with exceptional transitional upside"

"What drives his upside that much more is he's one of the more gifted puck movers in this class. His vision combines with his three way mobility and passing skillset. "

"In terms of pure puck skills, Shai is right up there with some of the top defenseman in this class, but he can use them while going at full speed."

Weird you say that, I don't see much resemblance. The thing with Wallinder has always been that he isnt very psychical

Buium and Wallinder are both 6'3"/6"4", very good skaters with upside, but very raw players on draft day.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

How so? He was a recently converted forward that is still learning the position and I think was a long term developmental type pick, similar to Wallinder.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
hockeyprospect.com had Buium ranked 33rd in 2021, and Wallinder ranked 45h in 2020. They gave Buium a higher mark in everything but skating.

Here are some notes from the 2021 Black Book:

"Buium is an offensive defenseman with exceptional transitional upside"

"What drives his upside that much more is he's one of the more gifted puck movers in this class. His vision combines with his three way mobility and passing skillset. "

"In terms of pure puck skills, Shai is right up there with some of the top defenseman in this class, but he can use them while going at full speed."

Buium and Wallinder are both 6'3"/6"4", very good skaters with upside, but very raw players on draft day.

Buium is a good skater for his size. Wallinder is an excellent skater at any size. Also Wallinder was ranked 14th best euro skater by CSB that season. Buium was 20th NA skater by CSB rankings.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
How so? He was a recently converted forward that is still learning the position and I think was a long term developmental type pick, similar to Wallinder.

He plays the game much differently than Wallinder. He is much more cerebral and creative with the puck (or at least tries to be). I think Wallinder is a more direct player with athleticism and superior skating that Buium can't touch. I think they were attractive to the brass' eyes for different reasons.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He plays the game much differently than Wallinder. He is much more cerebral and creative with the puck (or at least tries to be). I think Wallinder is a more direct player with athleticism and superior skating that Buium can't touch. I think they were attractive to the brass' eyes for different reasons.

Do you not think they are equally raw, though? Because I wasn't trying to say they play exactly the same.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Do you not think they are equally raw, though? Because I wasn't trying to say they play exactly the same.

Apologies, I missed your point. Yes, I think both are very raw prospects. I didn't mean to suggest Wallander wasn't raw. I think both need to improve their understanding of the defensive side of the game and their risk management. Yes, they are very similar in that regard.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Buium and Wallinder. It's a great conversation to have, when you have both.

Yeah, they are good prospects to have in the system and are exactly the type of defensemen I want to target with second round draft capital. I know that most of this board wants a bunch of Hal Gills, but I have bigger expectations and desires for that draft capital.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Was just stat checking LDN on eliteprospects.com and saw that he has 72 PIM in the J20 league in only 28 games.

Maybe it doesn't mean much, and I have never seen him play, but that seems really high. That is almost 2 minors per game! Sit down LDN!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad