Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Most kids would choose going to college and playing college hockey over playing in the USHL in a random city with a billet family if given the choice.

Detroit probably should have pushed him harder to play in the USHL, although not sure it would change much in the long run.

Playing, practicing, and training at Wisconsin is not a complete waste either.
Draper/Yzerman should have had a discussion with Hastings & Cleveland about potentially sending him to junior to play in Madison (ease of access obviously) or Green Bay in the USHL to play big minutes before starting at Wisconsin. The two Wisconsin based USHL teams would have made life much easier for the Wausau Wisconsin native, and very easy for the Badgers to monitor. Or if the Red Wings wanted even closer access to follow his development, they could have called up Muskegon to acquire Cleveland's rights and have him play junior there for a year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Draper/Yzerman should have had a discussion with Hastings & Cleveland about potentially sending him to junior to play in Madison (ease of access obviously) or Green Bay in the USHL to play big minutes before starting at Wisconsin. The two Wisconsin based USHL teams would have made life much easier for the Wausau Wisconsin native, and very easy for the Badgers to monitor. Or if the Red Wings wanted even closer access to follow his development, they could have called up Muskegon to acquire Cleveland's rights and have him play junior there for a year.
I was assuming some team already had his USHL rights, but it appears not?

In that case what you laid out would have made some good sense. Not sure why Detroit didn’t push for that.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Most kids would choose going to college and playing college hockey over playing in the USHL in a random city with a billet family if given the choice.

Detroit probably should have pushed him harder to play in the USHL, although not sure it would change much in the long run.

He played 126 total minutes this season, going into a college that had a brand new coach that didn't recruit him. Terrible decision to forego 60+ USHL games. If he was adamant on going to Wisco, that should have factored into the Detroit's ranking of him. I agree that it doesn't matter as he's not an NHL prospect, but what a wild draft pick it was

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Yeah the idea that Cleveland being committed to and planning to go to Wisconsin should have alarmed the Wings or any other team is pretty ridiculous. His Draft evaluation was based on what he'd established to date and where teams thought he might be in 4-5 years, not next semester. We don't know that the Wings didn't discuss with him or his camp the possibility of changing course once it became apparent what was happening. Ultimately it was his choice to stay so he must have seen some value -- whether hockey or personal life related -- in staying.

The obsession with zero points and playing time though is just low-hanging inconsequential fruit. It's a non-issue with Cleveland. The issue is that very few fans would have liked the Cleveland pick in almost any round. It's not wild at all that a guy projected by many to be a third-round pick was selected in the second round. What's wild to many (most?) fans is that any pick, let alone a second-rounder, is used on a low-skill, perceived low-ceiling prospect. It wouldn't matter if Cleveland had three points in 16 games or five points in 35, or 14 secondary and accidental points in the USHL or 10 in the CHL, he'd still be the same low-ceiling tough guy who shouldn't have been drafted until the sixth or seventh round, if at all.

Most NHL GMs have always liked and, though to a lesser extent now, still do like the idea of having a low-cost Adam McQuaid (also a second-round pick) type in the lineup or at least available without having to go through the trouble of acquiring one if/when needed. Often they're easy and cheap to acquire (like McQuaid later was), but sometimes not. That doesn't jive with how most prospect fans view Draft value or even roster construction.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah the idea that Cleveland being committed to and planning to go to Wisconsin should have alarmed the Wings or any other team is pretty ridiculous. His Draft evaluation was based on what he'd established to date and where teams thought he might be in 4-5 years, not next semester. We don't know that the Wings didn't discuss with him or his camp the possibility of changing course once it became apparent what was happening. Ultimately it was his choice to stay so he must have seen some value -- whether hockey or personal life related -- in staying.

The obsession with zero points and playing time though is just low-hanging inconsequential fruit. It's a non-issue with Cleveland. The issue is that very few fans would have liked the Cleveland pick in almost any round. It's not wild at all that a guy projected by many to be a third-round pick was selected in the second round. What's wild to many (most?) fans is that any pick, let alone a second-rounder, is used on a low-skill, perceived low-ceiling prospect. It wouldn't matter if Cleveland had three points in 16 games or five points in 35, or 14 secondary and accidental points in the USHL or 10 in the CHL, he'd still be the same low-ceiling tough guy who shouldn't have been drafted until the sixth or seventh round, if at all.

Most NHL GMs have always liked and, though to a lesser extent now, still do like the idea of having a low-cost Adam McQuaid (also a second-round pick) type in the lineup or at least available without having to go through the trouble of acquiring one if/when needed. Often they're easy and cheap to acquire (like McQuaid later was), but sometimes not. That doesn't jive with how most prospect fans view Draft value or even roster construction.

if his College team doesn't even want to play him at all when it matters he's gonna have a tough time ever cracking the AHL let alone ever being a low-cost anything in the NHL

Oct 18, 2006
Nice to hear some thoughts on Tuomisto and Wallinder.

“They’ve progressed really well,” Detroit GM Steve Yzerman said earlier this month. “Both of them are really good. Antti’s a right shot, William is a left shot. Different players but they’re both big. Antti’s big and strong, physical, great shot, passes the puck really well. William probably a little bit lighter. Tall, lanky guy, really good skater, moves the puck really well. Probably a little bit more active in the rush offensively.”

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Quinnipiac is done, wonder if the Wings will try and get back in the Collin Graf sweepstakes?

I really hope the Wings continue there pursuit from last off season. Graf would be a very nice get.

I highly doubt we could get it done. Too many dusty roster cloggers on the books here. Other teams will sell him on immediate NHL roster potential. Could see him going to the Pens.

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
Why do I see Detroit possibly taking a step back next year? The transition of getting these young players in the fold is going to take some growing pains. I see a couple rookies on the roster next year with a couple more probably making appearances. A few of the current defenseman and goalie play will be the same. Without a 2C I see come struggles. I don't know why but I don't see Yzerman bringing in a true 2C for some reason. Just some thoughts I've had

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Why do I see Detroit possibly taking a step back next year? The transition of getting these young players in the fold is going to take some growing pains. I see a couple rookies on the roster next year with a couple more probably making appearances. A few of the current defenseman and goalie play will be the same. Without a 2C I see come struggles. I don't know why but I don't see Yzerman bringing in a true 2C for some reason. Just some thoughts I've had
I prefer he brings true #1 LD, Warenski like
?-Seider
Walman, Maatta, Edvinsson, Chiarot

Reactions: David D

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
if his College team doesn't even want to play him at all when it matters he's gonna have a tough time ever cracking the AHL let alone ever being a low-cost anything in the NHL

For sure. He has to play regularly somewhere to hope to have a pro future at any level. It wouldn't take a lot for him to make it in the AHL, if that's what he wants to do. Griffins captain Josiah Didier was a fourth-round pick for Montreal out of the USHL, similar player, got three points his first year at Denver and has now played almost 500 AHL games. Unlike Brady though he at least played regularly as a Freshman.

It might be best for him to transfer to a lesser NCAA program where he can play three years while concentrating on getting a degree. That will likely end up making him more money than hockey ever will. But it's worth paying attention to him for at least another year, see if he shows anything and hopefully scores his first point in however long it's been.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Neither is half our blueline, but they play anyway.

Our blueline is composed of the player equivalent of still using a gallon of milk that is a couple of days past its use by date even though you notice the faintest of sour smells when you open your fridge

• Haha
Reactions: Filppula

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Our blueline is composed of the player equivalent of still using a gallon of milk that is a couple of days past its use by date even though you notice the faintest of sour smells when you open your fridge
And if the choice for my cereal is that jug or squeezing an udder... I'd take my chances with the udder...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad