Wings Power Play Issues

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Uh move your feet, that might help out the pp.

As for those lines, nothing surprises me anymore... But that's some uninspiring **** right there. Whatever, bring on the lottery pick.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Why are you refusing to answer the question? And no, they are not part of any PP system run by any coach, anywhere, especially the part where we easily allow the man with the puck to get out numbered on a 5 on 3! All power plays at all levels of hockey require movement off of the puck. The best players in the world know this and yet they never change. The PP will only start to improve when the players decide to work harder on the PP than they do 5 on 5. No amount of dick holding from Blashill and Torchetti is going to make this happen.
look at the system put into place. Please tell me what they are trying to do?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings continue to try to cycle the puck to the point for their defenseman to shoot the puck.

When you run a system that was designed to have elite defenseman at the point and you don't have those elite defenseman anymore, you gonna have a bad time.

Although with Datsyuk's departure, the forwards are also an issue now. Basically none of the forwards are able to create time and space which sucks the defense towards them and creates viable shooting lanes. You end up getting perimeter hockey with a lot of passing along the edge of the boards and the result is either a horrible SOG or a turnover which results in a clear.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Woah, Blashill amazes me each and every time he makes a decision with exactly how dumb it is. That second power play unit is hilarious. We're about to have the most exciting power play in the league because the other team is going to score a shortie on half of them.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Woah, Blashill amazes me each and every time he makes a decision with exactly how dumb it is. That second power play unit is hilarious. We're about to have the most exciting power play in the league because the other team is going to score a shortie on half of them.

I dont know what you all are complaining about:

1) Nyquist and Mantha slacked off... lets assume that is true. There should be reprocussions, pull them off the PP, and put on worse players, who cares that is how u teach lessons!

2) We want to lose right? This is great news, we are more likely to lose with them off the PP.

P.S. if our GM gave instructions to the coach to Tank. Would anyone here actually be able to prove it?

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Either the tank is real or Blashill is brain-dead. There needs to be equal accountability on this team.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I dont know what you all are complaining about:

1) Nyquist and Mantha slacked off... lets assume that is true. There should be reprocussions, pull them off the PP, and put on worse players, who cares that is how u teach lessons!

2) We want to lose right? This is great news, we are more likely to lose with them off the PP.

P.S. if our GM gave instructions to the coach to Tank. Would anyone here actually be able to prove it?
If Blashill is the coach more than thirty games into next season and the team is still playing this way I would consider that proof of a purposeful tank.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Remember when Ott was on the PP for that one game?

And then he took a penalty immediately to negate the PP.

lol.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Our power-play problems come from the 5-on-5 play.

We used to play for decades a puck posession hockey. When you play with puck posession system, you earn more power-plays, and when even strength zone entries are made almost always with puck control, also the PP entries became easy as eating peanuts, when there's even less opposite pressure. That will lead to best power-plays.

But for quite long at this season, we have played dump-and-chase hockey under Blashill. That's losing hockey almost already as a starting point. You could thriwe with that hockey like Pittsburgh (just look how much they dump, it's surprising), if you have that level of speed or if you are LA Kings, that you have the physically strongest forward core to win those lose pucks.

But we don't have either. We play dump-and-chase, and our roster has never played that before, and/or isn't fit for that style of play. Our finesse forwards only fit is puck possession team. But we don't want them to fit at anything, at this season.

That system change is tanking for me. Almost everything is put on a opposite way on this team at this season, than it should be. You don't have to be mastemind to see those things. Tanking is everywhere. Blashill is the commander, taking orders from... everybody knows. They finally want the high pick. This season was sacrifised, at some point after the lousy start.

Using this wrong dump-and-chase -system is the biggest factor in our losing/tanking and also it has caused this bad power-play. Bad power-play is maybe the best way to tank, because power-play is the best situation to score in hockey.

Simple.

BTW, Grand Rapids Griffins is doing everything exact opposite way (than current Wings), and that's why I have quite good hopes for next season and our future.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is hilarious.

On the goal, Vanek throws an errant pass back to Kronwall, who has already dropped back. Kronwall has Palmieri, who seemingly has run out of real estate, but then he cuts back on a weak, flopping Kronwall and Coreau lets in the softie.

Mantha and Nyquist didn't help, but the embarrassments on that goal were Kronwall and Coreau. Good to see we made the right adjustments.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Uh move your feet, that might help out the pp.

As for those lines, nothing surprises me anymore... But that's some uninspiring **** right there. Whatever, bring on the lottery pick.

I love when people say "move your feet" as if just moving around the ice is going to make things happen.

Special teams systems are basically a system of preferences. You want X guy here when X guy is there and you want to make that happen as often as possible. That system - whatever Blash and co. are directing - isn't going to be fixed fundamentally by moving your feet if it's a **** system to begin with and your teammates aren't in sync.

Also, I love that through 50 games of ****** PP play, the solution is to "move your feet." YES. That's it! I'm sure Tatar and Vanek and Mantha and Larkin and AA are happy to reduce their earning capacity by hundreds of thousands of dollars by nature of missing out on all kinds of PP points because, gosh darnit, moving your feet is hard.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
We have had two different assistants run our PP over the last two years with the exact same results. If we underperform next year under a third coach are we allowed to starts questioning the players or do we need to try a fourth coach first?

So I ask you again, how many good power plays have you played on that consisted of four guys standing statue still waiting for the guy with the puck to do something with it? Have you ever played on a 5-on-3s that allowed the defending team to get numbers on a weak-side wing on the half wall? ON THE ****ING HALF WALL! That level of dysfunction is well beyond simple coaching.

I understand why you don't want to blame the players. I think it is somewhat natural to be honest. You shouldn't, however, be afraid to question something simply because you are afraid of the answer you might find. This organization, at this point, demands brutal, brutal honesty.

There is some truth in what you say, but ultimately the biggest fact we have that cannot be disputed is that every single player on the roster with more than a couple of NHL games under their belt before Blashill was in charge has regressed in terms of points, performance, and in most cases +/- and Sh %. Let that sink in.

Undoubtedly some of the players aren't great and others have suspect attitudes, but for an entire roster to get worse to such a degree has to be attributable primarily to coaching.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
This is hilarious.

On the goal, Vanek throws an errant pass back to Kronwall, who has already dropped back. Kronwall has Palmieri, who seemingly has run out of real estate, but then he cuts back on a weak, flopping Kronwall and Coreau lets in the softie.

Mantha and Nyquist didn't help, but the embarrassments on that goal were Kronwall and Coreau. Good to see we made the right adjustments.

Eh, there is a difference between execution and effort. As a coach you can live with guys trying plays and failing. What drives a coach crazy are the ones who show poor effort in the first place.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why are you refusing to answer the question? And no, they are not part of any PP system run by any coach, anywhere, especially the part where we easily allow the man with the puck to get out numbered on a 5 on 3! All power plays at all levels of hockey require movement off of the puck. The best players in the world know this and yet they never change. The PP will only start to improve when the players decide to work harder on the PP than they do 5 on 5. No amount of dick holding from Blashill and Torchetti is going to make this happen.
Which question? Thought I answered, our PP was above average last season, league best the year before. We've seen 90% of these players look significantly better on the powerplay in the past.
I refuse to believe every single player forgot how to "move their feet". NHL hockey is not so simple. Bad PP for one game? Eh, maybe they didn't move their feet. For 50 games? Come on. Either the coaches are completely unable to get them to work hard, or the system is very static and ineffective. Either way it's on the coaches.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I love when people say "move your feet" as if just moving around the ice is going to make things happen.

Special teams systems are basically a system of preferences. You want X guy here when X guy is there and you want to make that happen as often as possible. That system - whatever Blash and co. are directing - isn't going to be fixed fundamentally by moving your feet if it's a **** system to begin with and your teammates aren't in sync.

Also, I love that through 50 games of ****** PP play, the solution is to "move your feet." YES. That's it! I'm sure Tatar and Vanek and Mantha and Larkin and AA are happy to reduce their earning capacity by hundreds of thousands of dollars by nature of missing out on all kinds of PP points because, gosh darnit, moving your feet is hard.

Movement off of the puck is absolutely necessary for any power play to be successful. Hell, movement off of the puck is absolutely necessary for any success in hockey.

Power plays are about creating and exploiting 2 on 1 situations. Somehow the Wings constantly manage to get outnumbered fighting for loose pucks on the PP and turn the PP into an absurd 1 on 2 game. It is really, really sad to think about this even happening at the NHL level on such a consistent basis. In the unlikely event we manage to gain control of the puck in the offensive zone in any sort of controlled fashion, players off of the puck drift to the perimeter and corners and wait for the man with the puck to beat a defender one-on-one. The Wings also have major issues turning over and retrieving pucks on the PP. Puck retrieval is clearly a function of anticipation and effort. Our turnovers are a function of a consistent failure to support the man with the puck, which is caused by people not moving their feet.

So yeah, the "move your feet" criticism is more than fair. I don't think Blash is a particularly good NHL coach right now, but I am not about to start sniffing the jocks of lazy players.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Movement helps a lot but is not entirely it. Quick passing is another part of a successful power play. The Wings just stand in the umbrella position and do virtually nothing to create the PK box to make them move around. Everyone in the arena knows who is going to get the puck before the player gets it. They are too predictable.

In Grand Rapids, we have 5 forwards as our #1 PP unit. We rarely dump and chase it in. We carry it in, and quickly set up inside the blueline. Our pointmen are either moving from side to side and when they do, the one forward on the wing goes behind the net and if he gets the pass, the near point man goes either in front of the net, or between the circles while the far point moves to the near point position. The far forward moves over between the circles thus creating two options for the forward behind the net to pass over, or go back to the point and if he is open, he takes the shot and the 2 forward screen the goalie and any rebound they can bang it home or push it to the boards to where the point man can get it and reset. Movement and quick passing collapses the PK box and we get several scoring chances just about every PP. Pretty gutsy set up that Nelson and the gang come up with for this season. Our power play last season was similar to what the Wings are doing now and it was not very effective at all. We scored 49 PP goals last season in 76 games and 15.8%. This season, we have already scored 51 PP in only 43 games and 27.3%. We have had 2 streaks of scoring a PP goal in 10+ straight games this season.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Idk man, I watch plenty of other hockey games and I don't see other teams carry the puck back and forth along the boards while his buddies stand around until the puck is wrapped around the boards near them. I see other teams skating around and rotating with each other trying to cause confusion.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
look at the system put into place. Please tell me what they are trying to do?

Since December it has been very similar to what we ran under Hiller (and much different from what we ran earlier in the year). It is hard to see because we have such a difficult time establishing and retaining meaningful possession.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Movement helps a lot but is not entirely it. Quick passing is another part of a successful power play. The Wings just stand in the umbrella position and do virtually nothing to create the PK box to make them move around. Everyone in the arena knows who is going to get the puck before the player gets it. They are too predictable.

In Grand Rapids, we have 5 forwards as our #1 PP unit. We rarely dump and chase it in. We carry it in, and quickly set up inside the blueline. Our pointmen are either moving from side to side and when they do, the one forward on the wing goes behind the net and if he gets the pass, the near point man goes either in front of the net, or between the circles while the far point moves to the near point position. The far forward moves over between the circles thus creating two options for the forward behind the net to pass over, or go back to the point and if he is open, he takes the shot and the 2 forward screen the goalie and any rebound they can bang it home or push it to the boards to where the point man can get it and reset. Movement and quick passing collapses the PK box and we get several scoring chances just about every PP. Pretty gutsy set up that Nelson and the gang come up with for this season. Our power play last season was similar to what the Wings are doing now and it was not very effective at all. We scored 49 PP goals last season in 76 games and 15.8%. This season, we have already scored 51 PP in only 43 games and 27.3%. We have had 2 streaks of scoring a PP goal in 10+ straight games this season.

Quick passing does not exist without movement away from the puck because a stagnant passing lane is too easy to defend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad