Wings Power Play Issues

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Blashill is reaching new levels of terrible. I don't give a **** if it's net front presence, Sheahan shouldn't touch the ice in ANY offensive situation.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How can we make the league worst PP even worse?

I know!

Let's put Sheahan, Helm, and Kronwall on it.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This is actually hilarious. His inexperience and inabilities to coach at this level are extremely evident.

I'm not really sure how putting a washed up Defenceman (55) and a couple bottom line forwards (15/43/8) is supposed to help the struggling PP.

Absolutely hilarious how he calls out Mantha and Nyquist, but doesn't even replace them with AA. I just do not understand the method to Blashill's madness. AA has proven with limited minutes he can contribute offensively, yet the coach doesn't trust the player. If I'm AA if this clown somehow makes it back to coach next year (there's no way management is this blind, is there..?) I'm asking to be dealt.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This is actually hilarious. His inexperience and inabilities to coach at this level are extremely evident.

I'm not really sure how putting a washed up Defenceman (55) and a couple bottom line forwards (15/43/8) is supposed to help the struggling PP.

Absolutely hilarious how he calls out Mantha and Nyquist, but doesn't even replace them with AA. I just do not understand the method to Blashill's madness. AA has proven with limited minutes he can contribute offensively, yet the coach doesn't trust the player. If I'm AA if this clown somehow makes it back to coach next year (there's no way management is this blind, is there..?) I'm asking to be dealt.

He hasn't been given much in the way of NHL talent, my guess is he's gonna ride the "discipline" coaching tactic for all it's worth. Hopefully we can get Otter out there once he's healthy, he's such a gamer! :sarcasm:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
OMG

Abby, Helm, Nielsen, Kronwall... that must be one of the worst powerplay units ever..

Kronwall gets absolutely embarrassed on two goals against and keeps getting icetime. Mantha gets taken off the PP because reasons.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He is going to continue to play Sheahan on the power play until another forward learns to take draws. He has expressly stated on multiple occasions that he wants two players on the ice who can take face offs in the offensive zone. People need to stop being surprised by this.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Nyquist not back checking seems odd. My theory? I think Blashill lost the locker room. The boys are depressed and frustrated to the point where they are not trying hard enough.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He is going to continue to play Sheahan on the power play until another forward learns to take draws. He has expressly stated on multiple occasions that he wants two players on the ice who can take face offs in the offensive zone. People need to stop being surprised by this.
Sheahan's 5 faceoff wins on the powerplay have certainly been instrumental to our powerplay "success".

Really, Z/Nielsen/Helm/Larkin is more than enough.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nyquist not back checking seems odd. My theory? I think Blashill lost the locker room. The boys are depressed and frustrated to the point where they are not trying hard enough.
Between the Toronto and New Jersey games, it's been pretty ugly. If they don't have a whole lot more intensity and focus against NYI tomorrow, I think you might be right.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Sheahan's 5 faceoff wins on the powerplay have certainly been instrumental to our powerplay "success".

Really, Z/Nielsen/Helm/Larkin is more than enough.

The concept is far from novel even if the execution is off. I trust the first three on your list but not the last. Sadly, that is an admission on your part that Helm somehow belongs on the power play.

Anyways, stop using Sheahan as your perma-crutch. There are plenty of reasons our PP is really bad that are totally unrelated to the guy standing in the low slot. Sheahan will come off of the PP at some point in the next couple of games and our PP will still suck. Just like Blashill will be fired and our team will still suck under the next coach. We just aren't very talented. Sorry.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
1. Get Sheahan off the powerplay
2. address other powerplay issues

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The concept is far from novel even if the execution is off. I trust the first three on your list but not the last. Sadly, that is an admission on your part that Helm somehow belongs on the power play.

Anyways, stop using Sheahan as your perma-crutch. There are plenty of reasons our PP is really bad that are totally unrelated to the guy standing in the low slot. Sheahan will come off of the PP at some point in the next couple of games and our PP will still suck. Just like Blashill will be fired and our team will still suck under the next coach. We just aren't very talented. Sorry.
There are teams with A LOT worse talent that has done a lot better on the PP than us. It's currently on track to be the 3rd worst PP% in the salary cap era. As bad as this team is, it's nowhere near that bad. I've been adamant all year that it's on coaching, not the players. Decisions like keeping Sheahan on it and removing Mantha/Nyquist just reinforce that belief.

Blashill is literally choosing to play units that are good defensively to keep us from allowing shorthanded goals, rather than trying to score goals ourselves. Let that sink in.

I don't think Helm necessarily "belongs" on the PP, but when it comes to faceoffs those are the 4 guys that have taken more of them on PP than Sheahan, with better % to boot.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Why are you all so keen to give Mantha a free pass?

He has struggled the last few games and shown his lackadaisical tendencies. I have no issues with him being held accountable.

I agree its absurd to think Sheahan is the answer. Would rather see those minutes go to AA.

RE: Helm. I look at Ted Lindsey's comments and Helm is cleary one of the top puck retrievers on this team. Nyquist should get PP minutes before Helm but if we acknowledge Gus' lack of effort, I'm okay with Helm on the PP as a short term "slap on the wrist" to Nyquist.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
There are teams with A LOT worse talent that has done a lot better on the PP than us. It's currently on track to be the 3rd worst PP% in the salary cap era. As bad as this team is, it's nowhere near that bad. I've been adamant all year that it's on coaching, not the players. Decisions like keeping Sheahan on it and removing Mantha/Nyquist just reinforce that belief.

Blashill is literally choosing to play units that are good defensively to keep us from allowing shorthanded goals, rather than trying to score goals ourselves. Let that sink in.

I don't think Helm necessarily "belongs" on the PP, but when it comes to faceoffs those are the 4 guys that have taken more of them on PP than Sheahan, with better % to boot.

We have had two different assistants run our PP over the last two years with the exact same results. If we underperform next year under a third coach are we allowed to starts questioning the players or do we need to try a fourth coach first?

So I ask you again, how many good power plays have you played on that consisted of four guys standing statue still waiting for the guy with the puck to do something with it? Have you ever played on a 5-on-3s that allowed the defending team to get numbers on a weak-side wing on the half wall? ON THE ****ING HALF WALL! That level of dysfunction is well beyond simple coaching.

I understand why you don't want to blame the players. I think it is somewhat natural to be honest. You shouldn't, however, be afraid to question something simply because you are afraid of the answer you might find. This organization, at this point, demands brutal, brutal honesty.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We have had two different assistants run our PP over the last two years with the exact same results. If we underperform next year under a third coach are we allowed to starts questioning the players or do we need to try a fourth coach first?

So I ask you again, how many good power plays have you played on that consisted of four guys standing statue still waiting for the guy with the puck to do something with it? Have you ever played on a 5-on-3s that allowed the defending team to get numbers on a weak-side wing on the half wall? ON THE ****ING HALF WALL! That level of dysfunction is well beyond simple coaching.
We were middle of the pack if not better on the PP last season.. it was only awful early on and in comparison with the year before, but it was nowhere near the epic levels of awfulness we've seen this year. We'll need to average 1 PPG per game from here on out to reach the same amount of PPGs as we had last season. Meaning we need the league's best PP the rest of the way just to be as mediocre as we were last year.

All those things you mention are part of the system the coaches run for the PP. If you can call it a system. I call it "5 guys not having any clue what they're supposed to be doing at any given time". Skill/talent is part of it but no way a PP with Green/Vanen/Z/Nyquist/Tatar/Mantha should be this bad.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's like Blashill is The Onion of coaching. It's satire, right?

If you want to fix the power play you have to get those pesky goal scorers like Mantha and Nyquist off it. We need guys who backcheck hard because as we all know a good power play is about preventing goals.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
We were middle of the pack if not better on the PP last season.. it was only awful early on and in comparison with the year before, but it was nowhere near the epic levels of awfulness we've seen this year. We'll need to average 1 PPG per game from here on out to reach the same amount of PPGs as we had last season. Meaning we need the league's best PP the rest of the way just to be as mediocre as we were last year.

All those things you mention are part of the system the coaches run for the PP. If you can call it a system. I call it "5 guys not having any clue what they're supposed to be doing at any given time". Skill/talent is part of it but no way a PP with Green/Vanen/Z/Nyquist/Tatar/Mantha should be this bad.

Why are you refusing to answer the question? And no, they are not part of any PP system run by any coach, anywhere, especially the part where we easily allow the man with the puck to get out numbered on a 5 on 3! All power plays at all levels of hockey require movement off of the puck. The best players in the world know this and yet they never change. The PP will only start to improve when the players decide to work harder on the PP than they do 5 on 5. No amount of dick holding from Blashill and Torchetti is going to make this happen.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Not sure why Glendening isn't getting an opportunity. Him, Abdelkader, and Helm are the core of this team. Need to get him more opportunities.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Everyone is making the point that Sheahan shouldn't be on the power play...very true

But the power play is so bad it really doesn't matter if X or Y Red Wing is on the ice for it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not sure why Glendening isn't getting an opportunity. Him, Abdelkader, and Helm are the core of this team. Need to get him more opportunities.
Don't forget Ott. And Miller only took the waiver in exchange for phat phat PP minutes down the stretch, yo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad