Post-Game Talk: Wings play better but do not get result

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
I want to know the results of the shootout scrimmages. Who wins? Is it possible that the scorers do not score will simultaneously the goalies do no make a save in the scrimmages?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Tatar used to be the one that impressed me, always going to the net, always trying, always go-go-going... TENACITY. That's what Tatar had. Not any more.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Liked the defensive effort a lot better. But alas not much to feel good about with how they gave it back.

AA needs to get out on the ice in three on three scenarios, he was absolutely lethal in that format at the AHL level.

Makes two points in New York a must now. Hope they can find a way. This has not been a good road trip at all.

I noticed that too. A more concerted effort from forwards and D to pick up guys and get mean around our crease.

Our opponents are successfully focusing in on checking Z and D...the Wings don't have much of a threat from anywhere else.

The tying goal with 5 min. was frustrating. Richards bumbles the puck behind Ottawa's net and they're off to the races. I had a bad feeling. Ended up getting hemmed in, Quincey back in usual form with a useless dump to their D. Really stupid, we had this game. :rant:

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Meh.. we didn't have our legs tonight. I honestly have no idea what Blashill is thinking at the end of the game. AA was our best player tonight and doesn't get a shift in the last 6 minutes or so plus overtime. He doubleshifts glennys line who was getting absolutely worked. Do these guys even watch the games?

I agree. AA's lack of ice time is getting really old. Tatar should play the 6-7 minutes AA gets instead. And why in the world wouldn't you put that speed out on the 3 on 3? He's got moves that make defenseman look silly. He had a highlite move around a Sens defenseman. These guys had to have a big debate about keeping Larkin up at the start of the season, and now they can't use AA more that 6 minutes a game?

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Tatar used to be the one that impressed me, always going to the net, always trying, always go-go-going... TENACITY. That's what Tatar had. Not any more.

yea i really don't get why he lost that

does he simply not love the game like he used to or is he too comfortable with his current place on the roster?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Both Tatar and Nyquist need to get the lead out, No excuse for the way they're playing. We need them and they're not delivering. They're killing us.

Nyquist hasn't been bad. Just because he hasn't put up points doesn't mean he's playing bad.

Tatar is bad rignt now. Nyquist isn't coughing up the puck in 3 on 3 ot.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
There isn't a night and day difference between Tatar of last seasons and now. I see the same work ethic (I think he's trying as hard as ever). As TZE has been pointing out the problem is his decision making. Shift after shift he's trying passes that in no way could ever work and continually attempting to dangle guys which also should never be successful in the NHL. The worst I saw tonight was with a chance to shoot fairly close to the net he instead stickhandles like a fiend, starts to get checked so backhands a pass to the far point with no one there. Insanity. He's overhandling the puck at the wrong times worse than ever.

He needs to watch tape of himself and realize he's squandering direct opportunities to get shots to the goal. When things aren't going smoothly you simplify your game. Quit over-stickhandling. If a simple play isn't there dump it in. When in doubt be like Larkin, direct the puck towards the net.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Both Nyquist and Tatar compete night in and night out. I really think they show up and are accountable for the most part. Guys are going to have bad nights, but I don't think it is an effort thing. The book is out on both players, they are being checked to those standards and the white board talk. They are white board players, I used to say that about Franzen when people would be down on him, he is a guy the other team addresses and worries themselves over.

What both need to do is stop being so easy to have that chat on. They can be too easy to play against and they are not diversifying their game. They are good players, but you see them on the wall you pinch. If Tatar has the puck you stay in position and wait for his mistake. When Nyquist has the puck you let him skate, you let him have it, he will stay outside if you let him. You keep your gaps, you bail at the line if you cannot get body contact and you make sure Nyquist has no chance to get rumbling in the neutral zone.

Both guys are also greatly impacted by our lack of acceptable passing out of the back-end. They both can be great in transition but if you let the D setup they have problems because like I said in my opinion there is a book on what you do to them in terms of in-zone coverage. You also can help keep them out of transition by pinching in because they struggle at times sealing the wall.

But seriously these issues need to be addressed. It isn't that I don't think both guys are working hard, by in large they are most nights. But they have to play smarter and they have to want to be the guys. They defer at the wrong times, they make softer plays at the wrong times. The reason I liked both guys so much is they had that drive for greatness, they had the expectations that have made this team great for so long. When I watch them this year I don't see that. I don't see them not trying, but I am not seeing an evolution and it is alarming. I see Vets doing what they are supposed to and we need them to be more and want them to take more ownership in the team in my opinion.

Last edited:

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Athletes are still people and things effect them, and we need to give them a break sometime. He did the things well you suggested for a long time before he recently crapped out. Maybe hes having family issues, or women issues, or something else is going on in his life. We need to give him a bit of a break, I'm sure he will pull through. Blash needs to have a sit down talk, and help the little guy out.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Agree that Nyquist is playing decent defensively, But bottom line we're paying both Tatar and Nyquist to put the puck in the net. And they're not doing it.

Tatar may be sucking, but we aren't really paying him to put the puck in the net. We're asking him to, but not paying him to. Lots of 9/10 forwards making his money these days.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Tatar may be sucking, but we aren't really paying him to put the puck in the net. We're asking him to, but not paying him to. Lots of 9/10 forwards making his money these days.

So the answer is to increase his salary. Pay him a few more million a year, and he is guaranteed to improve his stats! Yay, problem solved! :help:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

That logic is flawed. If we give him 10 mil a year he becomes a superstar?

BazDaSpaz

Sep 7, 2011
Don't expect much come the trade deadline Wings fans. No cap space and a happy and content Holland = no trades. Kronwall will be our trade deadline aquisition. It sucks because this team is dying for a trade.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane

So we're paying for his defense? Or his energy and chippiness? No, it must be his net-front presence...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So we're paying for his defense? Or his energy and chippiness? No, it must be his net-front presence...

Yeah that 2.75 mil is A TON for someone with 16 goals this year, and 29 last year.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Don't expect much come the trade deadline Wings fans. No cap space and a happy and content Holland = no trades. Kronwall will be our trade deadline aquisition. It sucks because this team is dying for a trade.

Defense should have been addressed when there were legitimate options being traded who would have improved the team. Holland sat around twiddling his thumbs. At this point I don't think there's a realistic trade out there that makes Detroit competitive this year. Those are your typical deadline deals, where a team that is missing a piece and can acquire that piece while still remaining competitve (ie, don't gut your roster to acquire that guy who puts you over the top). The guys who get acquired via trade are also typically in the final year of their contract so there is no guarantee he will be around long term.

If Holland can work out a trade that has a long-term impact - like I dunno Tyler Myers or Dougie Hamilton - then you can say you have upgraded your team for the next run. Those guys however don't come up on the trading block very often and I suspect we missed our chance. Better to suffer the consequences and hope you can draft a top end d-man to pair with DeKeyers in the somewhat near future (3-4 years).

That's why I won't be too bummed if we miss the playoffs and get a really good draft pick. While there are no guarantees - see Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith - at least your odds are much better if you are drafting in the top 15 or so.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If you only expect what you pay for on ELC and RFA players, you are never going anywhere close to the cup. Mrazek should have a .880 SV and 3GAA and Marchenko and XO should be Kindl level and Larkin should be our worst forward.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Red Wings Fans: We need a right handed puck moving defenseman!
Holland: OK, I got Mike Green
Red Wings Fans: Holland sits around twiddling his thumbs

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Nyquist hasn't been bad. Just because he hasn't put up points doesn't mean he's playing bad.

Tatar is bad rignt now. Nyquist isn't coughing up the puck in 3 on 3 ot.

But bottom line is that Holland just gave him a 4 year deal @ $19 million to be a scorer and he's not doing it. You give someone a new contract and it seems like they don't live up to it. For what Holland is paying Goose he should be better then 30 points right especially coming off a 54 point season last year and a 48 point season the year before that.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Red Wings Fans: We need a right handed puck moving defenseman!
Holland: OK, I got Mike Green
Red Wings Fans: Holland sits around twiddling his thumbs

red wings fans: we need to improve our top pairing for the longterm
Holland, OK, I got mike Green for the 3rd pairing and signed him for 3 years and added Kindl for grand rapids
Red Wings Fans: Umm Kenny boy, you didnt address our needs

sorta like man I am starving,
here have a new pair of sunglasses
thats great but I am still very hungry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad